3DCoat Forums
ajz3d

2nd UV-set for light map?

Hey guys.

Has anyone found a good workaround to create a 2nd UV-set that can be used for light maps in Unreal Engine? As far as I know, in 3D-Coat a single polygon cannot exist on two UV-sets at the same time.

I'd prefer unwrapping UVs for these kind of maps in 3D-Coat, without involving any 3rd party software.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

On 3ds max and after importing from 3d coat, i add an unwrap modifier and double it on the stack list.

On the second one i just give a different id.

• Like 1

Thank you for your advice Michaelgdrs, but it's not exactly what I asked about. :)

I know how to prepare a UV-set for light maps in other programs. What I hoped for is that maybe someone came up with a workaround or a hack for creating this UV-set inside 3D-Coat, without leaving the program. I think we can all agree that mixing various applications to complete basic tasks is always problematic and adds unnecessary complexity to our workflows.

• Like 2

Ha ha, yes. But it's not that simple, Carlos. ;)

Like I said, in 3D-Coat each polygon can exist only inside one UV-set at most. I need two UV-sets, containing the same polygons, but differently unwrapped.

In other words, I need to somehow copy (not move) all polygons to the second UV-set and perform a separate unwrapping for the light map there.

Edited by ajz3d

yep

uvset 1

retopo export selected

create uvset2

retopo import

bake

helps ?

yep

uvset 1

retopo export selected

create uvset2

retopo import

bake

helps ?

Sadly no, because it doubles the polycount.

Anyway, I just tried importing an object that has two UV-sets sharing the same polygons (but with different unwrapping), and 3D-Coat simply ignores one of the sets (it imports the second set, but it's empty). So I guess what I ask for is not possible at all in 3DC.

you right

it doubles the polycount

and

importing an object, 3D-Coat simply ignores one of the sets

:(

0001935: Multiple UV maps on single object

Lightmap baking

--------------------------------------------------

but... at Unreal you can generate the 2nd UV channel with the lightmap data. (bGenerateLightmapUVs = checked)

Generate Lightmap UVs set to True and Apply Changes and you will get your second UV Channel

• Like 1

I could have sworn I had a Mantis report for this somewhere.  :ph34r:

IMHO this should be next on the list after layer masks, along with full on UV tile editing (and an option for repeating, to keep the current setting/function).

• Like 2

I guess it's time to pressure Andrew with overwhelming requests for it. It's a big undertaking, and it could take a little while to implement, but I think if Andrew sees a few vocal people he will do it sooner.

• Like 1

I have exactly the same issue here. 3Dcoat UV tools are amazing but sadly I need to have a second UVset for my light maps and it is apprently still impossible to do in 3Dcoat :( Is there any sign this is going to be added anytime soon ?

I do not worry, I'm doing two uv-set with doubling polycount, then in maya still have to work with vertex normals, I imported into maya two mesh and then take from the second mesh uv-set, and the second mesh delete.