3DCoat Forums

How do I add or control the margin or padding around a baked AO map?

3DNut

Go to solution Solved by 3DNut,

So I now know how to bake an AO map and export it for use in Unity, but the AO map produces awful seams everywhere on the model in Unity. Is there a way to set padding when baking or exporting to prevent this from happening? If not, does anyone know of a Photoshop / GIMP technique to add bleed to the margin of images? This has always been handled by the baking software I have used so I am in uncharted waters.

I just discovered Photoshop>Filter>xNormal>Dilation which creates edge padding...Awesome! I would still like to know if there is a way to handle this in 3D-Coat though before I mark it solved.

Edited by 3DNut

So my Padding Width is set to 64 and it is on Manual Selection. So what is manual selection exactly? To me that would imply that I would be given a choice in some dialogue somewhere as to what I want my padding to be everytime I bake a map, but I have never seen such a thing. I guess I will set it to Always Make Padding like you have.

Anyway I set the padding to 512 and saw no difference when exporting AO....are you sure that setting works with AO?

Edited by 3DNut

• Solution

I am not sure what problem I was having, trying to re-address the issue almost a week later. Perhaps I wasn't checking Create Padding? Everything is working fine for me now.

Here is my entire workflow relating to AO creation, for any new users that it helps:

Q. How do I generate an Ambient Occlusion map?
A.
Paint Room>Textures>Calculate Occlusion
Light sources: Sphere + Hemisphere
Lighting Render Target = into new layer
Light count 128
Smoothing steps 0
After generating an Ambient Occlusion map, you can export it.

Q. How do I export an Ambient Occlusion map?
A. After generating an Ambient Occlusion map, go to File>Export Objects & Textures. Choose a location to save your model and then a window will come up that allows you to choose an AO map for export. Check Create Padding and a bleed to the margin will be added according to the settings found in Edit>Preferences>Padding Width. The AO map will be saved in the same directory that you save the object.