3DCoat Forums

Autopo - help needed I dont seem to be getting any good results. (file attached)

lord_quas

Hey guys, 

I seem to be having some real noob problems with the autopo tool from the sculpting room.

I cant get any clean results.

I can get it in zbrush but not coat. I have attached the mesh I made in modo that im just playing with so if anyone can give it a whirl and tell me how to get the same results in Coat I would be realllllly appreciative.

thanks guys.

p.s yes its a boring oven :(

Adding curves doesn't seem to help either

modo oven.obj

post-33183-0-30211600-1436927336_thumb.p

post-33183-0-29039600-1436927382_thumb.p

Edited by lord_quas

• Advanced Member

try using the voxelize before quadrangulation option in the dialogue and drop it down to like 50,000 total this often gives decent results

and then try the hard surface option by itself without curves drawn.  from time to time both can get better results.

Generally I think zbrush gets more predictably good  and faster results, but 3d coat can often do as well but u have to really learn the differences between those options

That did improve the result, its closer to Zbrush, but can we do better?

This tech a few years ago just didnt exist and its a great auto retopo tool and still a very close mesh that resembles an ingame mesh but it there any other way i can get a closer result to the zbrush model or maybe even better?

I want to retain the hard edges and closed loops around the main edges so I can collapse the edges after and clean it up.

post-33183-0-12759900-1436963400_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

also u can still add in a few strokes to help the solution.  zbrush is a far faster and more accurate algorithm so i sometimes opt to just export the hierarchy as a scene and autopo there ...but again i havent tried the new stuff yet ...i think the programmer is well aware of the differences

• Advanced Member

also instead of making the loops round the outer part of the cooking rings as u did in your first exampl, try making it on the top surface of the cooking ring.  use control drag to get easier curve control.  u often get better circular retopo by specifically defining the circle on top, uu can try leaving the stroke edge loops you already have established, but often its too much information and u get a screwy result