3DCoat Forums

Sculpting Seamless, Tileable Terrain Modules?

Deadlyapples

Hi guys! I have a project I am working on and the bit I have gotten to now is really making my head hurt haha!

So I am trying to make terrain pieces that can fit together side by side and be seamless and flow from one to the other. The idea is that I can sculpt a number of pieces and they can be used multiple times in different positions and rotations to create a potentially infinite number of terrain boards.

http://i.imgur.com/NGRCrqg.jpg

That is my rough concept where there are pieces like straight rivers, curved rivers, rivers with crossings, cliffs, cliff corners inner and outer, cliffs with slopes, lakes and grass plains and they can then be used multiple times to create varied landscapes.

My issue is that I am unsure how to make them tileable! Ideally I am looking for a way of sculpting a perfectly square mesh that repeats at the edges so each module can fit next to another module with relative ease. I have tried doing it via photoshop creating heightmaps but the results are not great and it takes far too long to make a heightmap by hand, with detail without having a reference as to what it looks like when applied to a model.

I would appreciate any help that I can get with the matter! I am struggling!

Thank you!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...