3DCoat Forums

Noob question..can't find decimate

zFarm

• Contributor

Hi Im just learning ..l have the demo of 4.5 but can't seem to find decimate. I played with resample but that not taking any curvature info. just straight up or down rez. 

Thanks!

In sculpt mode, hit the 'W' key to see your mesh. Then in the Geometry menu, select "Decimation" and follow the prompts. No need to downgrade the volume layer.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have the same issue using 3DC 4.5. The video above is referring to Multi-res workflow, but I just want to Decimate the actual Voxel object (if possible) or alternatively convert the voxel object to a quad mesh and decimate that. My end goal is to export a hard body type sculpt out to LightWave but I don't want or need to go to a low poly mesh (retopo), I just want to decimate the mesh somewhat on the hard surfaces prior to export, keeping lower poly counts on flat surfaces, but higher poly where required on the curves, which I understand decimate is used for.

It seems the decimate feature is there in the sculpt room under Geometry, but it's grayed out.  I also read references to decimate brushes, however they are also not available the the sculpt room under 4.5.

Thanks.

Ok I see now that it must be in Surface Mode to work with decimate. Makes sense.  I guess I need to re-frame the question.

Noob questions, but what is the proper path to go from editing a voxel object, to working it in Surface Mode in the Sculpt panel?   The only way I was able to go from voxel to Surface Mode was to export as an obj then load it for "Surface Sculpting" which seems like a strange process.