3DCoat Forums

Smart Materials/texturing strange behavior

dimitribastos

Go to solution Solved by AbnRanger,

• Advanced Member

Hi there. I decided to try 3D Coat for painting my models, but I'm stuck with a problem. My painting with smart materials and even without them are really low res. I'm painting 8k textures but they doesn't show that way on the viewport.

Smart Materials on Preview are just fine. But when I paint them they are ugly and low res though. Please, look at this gif to see the problem: https://gyazo.com/91a905f970b07e480b268b04322ced6c

Also, does anyone have a link for  shared alphas, stamps and smart materials? Thanks.

post-38641-0-65042500-1438975884_thumb.j

• Contributor

Its your res Dimitri.

You need at least 4k to get decent results.

Edit

Just saw that you use 8k.......

Very strange.....

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Advanced Member

Hi there. Thanks for your posts. My model is just a simple shirt, really low poly. I imported to Micro Vertex painting and set to keep UV, then put 8k on the textures.

I tried again and the problem continues. See attached. ​

post-38641-0-75765000-1438979783_thumb.j

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Hi there. Thanks for your posts. My model is just a simple shirt, really low poly. I imported to Micro Vertex painting and set to keep UV, then put 8k on the textures.

I tried again and the problem continues. See attached. ​

When you import for MicroVertex, there is a large note in import dialog box. You need to read that carefully, because it states you need a 1 to 1 correspondence between the number of vertices and pixels. This video covers merging/baking from the Retopo room to the Pain room, but the IMPORT dialog is practically the same as the one you would see if you are in the Paint Room and import a model from there.

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

AbnRanger, thanks for your response. The vídeo helped a lot.

But I have one question though. That polygon count that I need to set initially is a globally count, right? I imagine that if I have a lot of meshes, this could cause some trouble. Can I adjust per object the polygon count to optmize the overall density of the mesh? I imagining that subpatching can do this, or am I wrong?

Also, somewhat related... but it is possible to have two depth maps? I would like to use displacement to create some folds on a shirt and have microdetail as well.  So I would need a map exclusively for folds to be my displacement and other map with fabric microdetails to be my bump or normal map. Can't figure out a way to this.

Thanks. ​​

EDIT: maybe creating the folds, and then exporting displacement and then importing again to create microdetail? The problem is that seems like microdetail stuff is more on the PPP workflow which can't import displacement.

Edited by dimitribastos