3DCoat Forums

Houdini 15 Sneak Peak

ajz3d

• Advanced Member

Thanks, guys, for those resources. Will definitely have to check those out. Especially the 3D Buzz ones. I almost forgot about them. I bought a DVD series from them for 3ds Max years ago, and remember them going heavily into Houdini, when it wasn't nearly as popular as it has become recently. I really don't want to have to get into programming just to do some decent work in the application. That just isn't my cup of tea. I think that is what has largely kept me out of Houdini, thus far. But it is just too powerful of an app not to take advantage of Side Effects' generosity, in Houdini Indie.

Just in case you missed the official docs, they also are pretty good source to learn.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/

edit/

And here is a database for tuts on Houdini

http://www.papicrunch.net/GC-houdb/?collec=0&model=list

Edited by chingchong

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

I've never used Houdini, and know basically nothing about it, but afaik its procedural modeling / simulation are pretty top notch? But at the same time it's not so great for anything else?

Modeling is weak; it's FX and it's rendering with Mantra which is very detailed and solid but rather slow and rather lacking in materials library thought

• Advanced Member

I've never used Houdini, and know basically nothing about it, but afaik its procedural modeling / simulation are pretty top notch? But at the same time it's not so great for anything else?

imo its also good for fur/hair, rigging, animation and all sorts of FX, sims without  additional plugins

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

http://www.cgmeetup.net/home/vfx-in-houdini-15/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cgmeetup+%28CGMeetup+Newsletter+Feed%29

Vfx in Houdini 15 by Scott Keating

Scott from Side Effects will demonstrate VFX tools in Houdini 15 such as lava tools, distributed simulations and crowd ragdolls. He will also demo the new Principled shader and outline many of the other improvements in Houdini 15. For over twenty five years Side Effects has been providing artists with procedural 3D animation and visual effects tools designed to create the highest-quality cinematic results.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 2

• Contributor

http://www.cgmeetup.net/home/vfx-in-houdini-15/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cgmeetup+%28CGMeetup+Newsletter+Feed%29

Vfx in Houdini 15 by Scott Keating

Scott from Side Effects will demonstrate VFX tools in Houdini 15 such as lava tools, distributed simulations and crowd ragdolls. He will also demo the new Principled shader and outline many of the other improvements in Houdini 15. For over twenty five years Side Effects has been providing artists with procedural 3D animation and visual effects tools designed to create the highest-quality cinematic results.

They implemented Disney's principle shader. This might provide an excellent compatibility with metalness/roughness workflow.

• Contributor

From Robert Magee (Product Marketing Manager, Side Effects Software Inc.)

The H15 product launch is not happening on October 5. The event was called a launch event but it is more of a preview event. Houdini 15 will be formally launched very soon. We promised October in the sneak peek and there is a clue in the version number ;-)

Source: https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=187590#187590

So there are still 10 days left.

• Contributor

Somewhere they wrote it was going to be at 15 but i cant find it right now.

When ever they release it its going to be a blast for those who really know how to use it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Here's what I really want to know about Houdini...is it mainly intended for Technical Directors and thus the average 3D Generalist is wasting their time trying to come to grips with it's steep learning curve? It seems they have taken some steps in recent versions to make it more accessible to the creative types, not just the technical programming types, But it seems, at it's core...it was always a TD's application. Is that a fair assessment?

On another note, it's a bit of a shame that they are offering this great support for Renderman 20 shaders and such, yet won't allow Indie users to utilize Renderman...a 3rd party renderer. Also, it's a bummer that they STILL don't have support for SpacePilots/Mouse. I use mine every day with 3D Coat and Max and having to use a 3D App that lacks that support is having to work with one hand tied behind your back. Imagine using Photoshop without a Wacom tablet. Ugggh.

• Like 1

• Contributor

No its was not created for TDs , not at all.

It was created more as an advance VFX / particle / dynamics in a 3d animation pipeline. 

I say everybody working freelance or pro should give it at least a try , modeller or animator , texture artist or VFX guru  it doesn't matter , it fits them all , saying this as a 3D generalist. 

I did this around a year maybe more , yes a bit more  with systematic study and unofficial projects and it paid .... more that it should ;)

With 15 something are a bit easier to be done but again it requires a good amount of study and work on it.

To me it came natural , don't know exactly why but it did.

For third party renderers yes its a bit shame.....

But if you are lame (not referring to Ranger LOL) or want to end something super fast turn (unfortunately)  to 3ds max , (i use 3ds max as well , no worries) .

• Reputable Contributor

No its was not created for TDs , not at all.

It was created more as an advance VFX / particle / dynamics in a 3d animation pipeline. 

I say everybody working freelance or pro should give it at least a try , modeller or animator , texture artist or VFX guru  it doesn't matter , it fits them all , saying this as a 3D generalist. 

I did this around a year maybe more , yes a bit more  with systematic study and unofficial projects and it paid .... more that it should ;)

With 15 something are a bit easier to be done but again it requires a good amount of study and work on it.

To me it came natural , don't know exactly why but it did.

For third party renderers yes its a bit shame.....

But if you are lame (not referring to Ranger LOL) or want to end something super fast turn (unfortunately)  to 3ds max , (i use 3ds max as well , no worries) .

Yeah, I saw where they have recently released the initial Houdini Engine plugin for 3ds Max. So, that's a big plus for me. I think I'll go ahead and buy an Indie license, regardless....if for nothing else, but to use it for Volumetric effects when I need it. Can't wait to see how it (Engine) works in Max.

• Contributor

There is a 3ds max connection / plugin already (unofficial).

For learning curve just download apprentice.

I have an older 3ds max licence , haven't upgraded since 2012 and i have 2011 so there is a good chance i cant use it with engine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Houdini's 15 release caught me while I was learning Substance Painter from one of the Allegorithmic tutorials:

I was very eager to try out the Disney's Principled Shader (which is not new to Houdini as there was an HDA supporting it in H13: http://forums.odforce.net/topic/20682-bsdf-bonanza-ggx-microfacets-disney-brdf-and-more/).

Here are the results (in a similar lighting setup). I used Substance Painter's PBR MetalRough export preset, but I had to use normals from Unity 5 (Standard Metallic) one. Probably those from MetalRough would work to with a proper X or Y flip.

Anyway, this should work with 3D-Coat too.

post-12523-0-09625500-1445825371_thumb.j

There's one problem though. The stacked UVs appear like the depth was inverted (see the red arrow pointing at the shoe laces on the right boot). But stacked UVs are something you probably won't use use in a feature film anyway.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2