3DCoat Forums

Houdini 15 Sneak Peak

ajz3d

• Contributor

Is this from the viewport? If yes how did you set up the shader? I am having issues with prince shader with 3d coat.

For the inverted depth it seems that its fine on the other shoe.... Strange.

• Contributor

From the viewport? You mean Houdini's? No, no, although they added a normal map support and all, and everything looks really great now. The image to the right was rendered in Mantra at 1200x1920 (inverted Full HD) and took about 13 minutes to render IIRC.

The shoes and the hoses from the files provided by Allegorithmic use a separate UV-set (material), and UVs of each boot are stacked upon each other (we could say they're mirrored). At first I was surprised that the principled shader (and probably any other shader that uses the new normal map VOP) does not support it. However upon further contemplation I came to a conclusion that stacked UVs might not have been something that was targeted by the SESI, as rendering game assets in Houdini doesn't make much sense. :D

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

I have the scene from SP never tested it with prince shader.

Thought it was from the viewport as i try to get realtime results from it and i think i am into it and really close to what you just shown but not so clear.

So you just plugged the textures in ?

For example

you used metallic and roughness only? (add the exported textured from SP there?)

Or you used something else as well?

• Contributor

Ok great , same workflow i am using i just add coat shine as well and it makes a huge difference , BUT it just doesn't work with 3d coat output textures.

Houdini not working , Unity 5 not working.

But Unity Rust LTD ALLOY WORKS GREAT with the outputs from 3d coat.

Substance painter working out of the box , same as Substance designer.

Its a shame a so nice software (3d coat) to have such problems. 

Some times it really gives me the feeling of an incomplete software that has incredible powers but we just cant use them correctly.

• Contributor

Found the issue , main problem is  the normals , you need to export tangest and world and then textures needs a bit of manual adjustment in photoshop.

Once those are done and with the same HDR i can get it more than 95% match.

Andrew must add correct auto texture exports for at least them main software's we use for production / commercial.

Houdini

3ds max

Maya

Unity 5

Marmoset toolbag 2

Substance Painter and Designer.

Its a shame to loose so much time to manually correct them to match SP outputs and render correctly.

• Like 1

• Contributor

3D-Coat: rendered in the Render Room

Houdini: I had to bump up envlight intensity to 5 to match 3D-Coat where I have primary light (envmap) set to 100%.

Substance Designer: Rendered with IRay. Default envmap exposure resulted in a darker image than 3D-Coat's. I had to bump it up to 2. Unfortunately I didn't find a way to render with an alpha channel.

Textures were painted and exported from 3DC (metalness/roughness workflow).

post-12523-0-99599700-1445955339_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

You see the differences right?

And this is simple , 2 shiny and one mat.

And it still cant get the same output , on SD its closer and feels more natural.

Is it gamma? Needs Linear? Shall i adjust the textures? What adjustment? Brightness? Levels? Curves?

Shall i adjust the lighting?  etc etc

A 2 minutes job ends up to become a half day work in the best.

And once you got a working workflow , the next day it just wont work as it should (like the previous day but with different model painting).

Of course , once they work its the fastest and more stable of all.

• Like 1

• Contributor

The warm tint on the white parts of the model are the result of rendering in the Render Room. The raw viewport does not exhibit the phenomenon. However 3DC's viewport representation of the shading is still very different from what I see in SD's viewport and the renders I provided. I'll upload it in a moment.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Ok, this one is from 3D-Coats viewport. Compare it with the others:

post-12523-0-04112200-1445961702_thumb.j

Yes, the differences are very visible.

Sorry for short posts, but I'm doing, like, ten things at the same time. Crazy day.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

McDermott, W. BRDF. In: C. Damez and N. Wirrmann, eds., The Comprehensive PBR Guide by Allegorithmic. Allegorithmic, 6.

The BRDF used by Substance's PBR shaders is based on Disney's "principled" reflectance model, which is based on the GGX microfacet distribution.

No wonder that outputs from Substance and Houdini are almost identical. What is 3D-Coat's reflectance model based on?

• Like 1