3DCoat Forums
ajz3d

Houdini 15 Sneak Peak

Here's what I really want to know about Houdini...is it mainly intended for Technical Directors and thus the average 3D Generalist is wasting their time trying to come to grips with it's steep learning curve? It seems they have taken some steps in recent versions to make it more accessible to the creative types, not just the technical programming types, But it seems, at it's core...it was always a TD's application. Is that a fair assessment?

On another note, it's a bit of a shame that they are offering this great support for Renderman 20 shaders and such, yet won't allow Indie users to utilize Renderman...a 3rd party renderer. Also, it's a bummer that they STILL don't have support for SpacePilots/Mouse. I use mine every day with 3D Coat and Max and having to use a 3D App that lacks that support is having to work with one hand tied behind your back. Imagine using Photoshop without a Wacom tablet. Ugggh.

• Like 1

No its was not created for TDs , not at all.

It was created more as an advance VFX / particle / dynamics in a 3d animation pipeline. 

I say everybody working freelance or pro should give it at least a try , modeller or animator , texture artist or VFX guru  it doesn't matter , it fits them all , saying this as a 3D generalist. 

I did this around a year maybe more , yes a bit more  with systematic study and unofficial projects and it paid .... more that it should ;)

With 15 something are a bit easier to be done but again it requires a good amount of study and work on it.

To me it came natural , don't know exactly why but it did.

For third party renderers yes its a bit shame.....

But if you are lame (not referring to Ranger LOL) or want to end something super fast turn (unfortunately)  to 3ds max , (i use 3ds max as well , no worries) .

No its was not created for TDs , not at all.

It was created more as an advance VFX / particle / dynamics in a 3d animation pipeline. 

I say everybody working freelance or pro should give it at least a try , modeller or animator , texture artist or VFX guru  it doesn't matter , it fits them all , saying this as a 3D generalist. 

I did this around a year maybe more , yes a bit more  with systematic study and unofficial projects and it paid .... more that it should ;)

With 15 something are a bit easier to be done but again it requires a good amount of study and work on it.

To me it came natural , don't know exactly why but it did.

For third party renderers yes its a bit shame.....

But if you are lame (not referring to Ranger LOL) or want to end something super fast turn (unfortunately)  to 3ds max , (i use 3ds max as well , no worries) .

Yeah, I saw where they have recently released the initial Houdini Engine plugin for 3ds Max. So, that's a big plus for me. I think I'll go ahead and buy an Indie license, regardless....if for nothing else, but to use it for Volumetric effects when I need it. Can't wait to see how it (Engine) works in Max.

There is a 3ds max connection / plugin already (unofficial).

For learning curve just download apprentice.

I have an older 3ds max licence , haven't upgraded since 2012 and i have 2011 so there is a good chance i cant use it with engine.

yup, was gonna say, for learning just get the free apprentice. then if you like it get indie. since indie is $200/year

Houdini's 15 release caught me while I was learning Substance Painter from one of the Allegorithmic tutorials:

I was very eager to try out the Disney's Principled Shader (which is not new to Houdini as there was an HDA supporting it in H13: http://forums.odforce.net/topic/20682-bsdf-bonanza-ggx-microfacets-disney-brdf-and-more/).

Here are the results (in a similar lighting setup). I used Substance Painter's PBR MetalRough export preset, but I had to use normals from Unity 5 (Standard Metallic) one. Probably those from MetalRough would work to with a proper X or Y flip.

Anyway, this should work with 3D-Coat too.

post-12523-0-09625500-1445825371_thumb.j

There's one problem though. The stacked UVs appear like the depth was inverted (see the red arrow pointing at the shoe laces on the right boot). But stacked UVs are something you probably won't use use in a feature film anyway.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

Is this from the viewport? If yes how did you set up the shader? I am having issues with prince shader with 3d coat.

For the inverted depth it seems that its fine on the other shoe.... Strange.

From the viewport? You mean Houdini's? No, no, although they added a normal map support and all, and everything looks really great now. The image to the right was rendered in Mantra at 1200x1920 (inverted Full HD) and took about 13 minutes to render IIRC.

The shoes and the hoses from the files provided by Allegorithmic use a separate UV-set (material), and UVs of each boot are stacked upon each other (we could say they're mirrored). At first I was surprised that the principled shader (and probably any other shader that uses the new normal map VOP) does not support it. However upon further contemplation I came to a conclusion that stacked UVs might not have been something that was targeted by the SESI, as rendering game assets in Houdini doesn't make much sense. :D

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

I have the scene from SP never tested it with prince shader.

Thought it was from the viewport as i try to get realtime results from it and i think i am into it and really close to what you just shown but not so clear.

So you just plugged the textures in ?

For example

you used metallic and roughness only? (add the exported textured from SP there?)

Or you used something else as well?

Yes, I just plugged the textures (base color, metallic, roughness and normals) and also increased reflectivity to maximum.

I'll post a viewport screenshot later.

Ok great , same workflow i am using i just add coat shine as well and it makes a huge difference , BUT it just doesn't work with 3d coat output textures.

Houdini not working , Unity 5 not working.

But Unity Rust LTD ALLOY WORKS GREAT with the outputs from 3d coat.

Substance painter working out of the box , same as Substance designer.

Its a shame a so nice software (3d coat) to have such problems. 

Some times it really gives me the feeling of an incomplete software that has incredible powers but we just cant use them correctly.

That's odd. There's no reason for 3D-Coat's textures not working with the Principled Shader. I'll have to check this.

Any luck with 3d coat exported textures?

It doesn't work right?

No worries Arthur , no worries.

• Like 1

Found the issue , main problem is  the normals , you need to export tangest and world and then textures needs a bit of manual adjustment in photoshop.

Once those are done and with the same HDR i can get it more than 95% match.

Andrew must add correct auto texture exports for at least them main software's we use for production / commercial.

Houdini

3ds max

Maya

Unity 5

Marmoset toolbag 2

Substance Painter and Designer.

Its a shame to loose so much time to manually correct them to match SP outputs and render correctly.

• Like 1

Can someone please give some attention to this request?

It only for the best of 3d coat and it concerns all users pro , indie or hobbyists. 

3D-Coat: rendered in the Render Room

Houdini: I had to bump up envlight intensity to 5 to match 3D-Coat where I have primary light (envmap) set to 100%.

Substance Designer: Rendered with IRay. Default envmap exposure resulted in a darker image than 3D-Coat's. I had to bump it up to 2. Unfortunately I didn't find a way to render with an alpha channel.

Textures were painted and exported from 3DC (metalness/roughness workflow).

post-12523-0-99599700-1445955339_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

You see the differences right?

And this is simple , 2 shiny and one mat.

And it still cant get the same output , on SD its closer and feels more natural.

Is it gamma? Needs Linear? Shall i adjust the textures? What adjustment? Brightness? Levels? Curves?

Shall i adjust the lighting?  etc etc

A 2 minutes job ends up to become a half day work in the best.

And once you got a working workflow , the next day it just wont work as it should (like the previous day but with different model painting).

Of course , once they work its the fastest and more stable of all.

• Like 1

The warm tint on the white parts of the model are the result of rendering in the Render Room. The raw viewport does not exhibit the phenomenon. However 3DC's viewport representation of the shading is still very different from what I see in SD's viewport and the renders I provided. I'll upload it in a moment.

• Like 1