3DCoat Forums

Workflow for Displacement

gerkx

Hello All,

I'm just trying to understand the workflow I need to follow for displacement (for use in Houdini/Mantra).

So, I have my sculpt. I've retopo'd and UV'd it.

Now I need to back to PPP with Displacement, correct?

And from what I've found here on previous posts, you need to apply at least one level of SubD in order for it to function properly, is that correct?

Once I'm painting, my resolution for fine details, painting, etc, is determined by the resolution of my maps, not the mesh, correct? So if the details aren't holding like I'd like, I should increase the resolution of my map?

In zBrush, you increase your resolution as you go, then when you're ready for export, you knock it back down to your base mesh for your map exports. But in 3DC, it seems like you stick with the resolution of the mesh that you baked to from the retopo room, with however many levels of SubD you chose there, right?

I'm trying to apply some stitching to a shoe with a strip I made in photoshop, using the paintbrush on curve stroke mode, but it's coming out like a mushy line rather than crisp stitches, and I'm working on a 4k map, so I'm just a bit confused if I'm doing things right or not.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Pat

• Advanced Member

I'm still learning. Only a few days ago I decided to do more than sculpts.

I guess this option means that you can import displacement/depth into PPP workflow but 3D Coat will treat depth layer as a bump or normal map. No actual displace will happen. Don't know if I'm right though :(