9 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 11 Winner

• ajz3d
    • benk
    • BringItBack
    • carlosan
    • Michaelgdrs

• Contributor

Yeah right , your Critter will eat my rat for breakfast and ride the bison like he was a little pony in the valley!!!!   :p:

Cant wait to see more , too bad that Benk did a typo , end of competition  is 2nd of September not 12 !!! LOL  aahahahahahaahahahahaaa

• Like 1

• Contributor

Yeah right , your Critter will eat my rat for breakfast and ride the bison like he was a little pony in the valley!!!!   :p:

Cant wait to see more , too bad that Benk did a typo , end of competition  is 2nd of September not 12 !!! LOL  aahahahahahaahahahahaaa

I wouldn't be so sure. Rats are very agile and fast animals, and bisons are powerful creatures that could easily trample a poor critter into a pancake. ;)

I am still uncertain about how will I deal with the fur. One of the ideas that came to me is to create several VoxTree layers just for rough hair sculptures that I will then utilize as reference meshes for laying out poly strips in the retopo room. I could then place one poly strip per retopo group for easier access to each one of them in the paint room. However, hand painting dozens of similar objects sounds like an extremely tedious task even if I were to use projection painting. I could use island stacking, but this would prevent me from using good AO when painting, etc.

The target rendering engine will be Mantra, but rendering fur that is based on polygons will be something new to me, so this might not turn out well. I guess time will show. :rofl:

Luckily for us the deadline appears to be corrected and even extended! Now it's 23:59, 19.09.2015. Hurray!

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Glad to see that you are a man of humor as well.   :rofl:

What you describe is what i tried to do (almost) and i gave up on painting stage.

Then i took one painted polygon strip and tried to manually scatter it.... failed again.

So i sculped the fur with custom made alpha brush , retopo the voxels and then painted normal details on another normal layer so having pores , skin wringles and the fur on separate layers , then on a different layer painted real fur via projection.

I believe that by the time i ended this message you allready found your way of doing it.

• Like 1

• Contributor

The problem is that Critters' fur is quite long and messy. I don't think I would go away with sculpting it in. I need some alpha maps to gradually decrease their opacity at the tips and... Ahh, maybe I should do some tests on a sphere first. :)

• Advanced Member

Glad to see you in the mix ajz3d. This looks to be a great start. I was hoping we might see some invented creatures in this competition. Looking forward to seeing more posts.

bk

• Advanced Member

Absolutely. All of your hair technique discussion with ajz3d went right over my head. This is the kind of creative problem solving I want to see.

bk

• Contributor

Guys is instancing other objects than fur allowed? I have literally dozens of teeth to spawn all over the Crite's mouth and, to be frank, I'd like to avoid manual placement in favour of automating the process in Houdini.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

I don't see why not. The rules do not explicitly state restrictions on instancing technique other that hair. The spirit of the competition is to see if it is possible to make complex surfaces comprised of repetitive objects like hair (and to some extent some might extend the definition of complex surfaces to include any highly repetitive object) with the current 3DC toolset. I am sure the Houdini instancing set up is very sophisticated and efficient, but does the 3DC instancing tool offer any possibilities?

Looking forward to seeing more WIP.

bk

• Like 1

• Contributor

Excellent. Teeth are done. :)

Next WIP will be coming tomorrow. I'm still working on the Critter's form. Something with it doesn't feel right. I've collected a lot of screengrabs from all of the movies, but it seems that every Crite has its own style. :)

Here's one of my favourite frames from Critters 2: The Main Course. Call me a weirdo, but I absolutely adore the colours, composition, depth of field and the situation the frame depicts. If time permits, I'd like to reproduce it. And if it doesn't, then maybe I'll do it anyway after the challenge ends - but this time with a fur system.

I hope I'm not violating any copyrights by posting this:

post-12523-0-66622400-1441228817_thumb.j

Those two Crites remind me of Statler and Waldorf from The Muppet Show. :rofl:

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

ahahahahahahah

I wanted to render the rat with real fur in Houndini and i will do it eventually .

work came into the way and stopped me. I will try though because i really really love Houdini , took me more than 2 years after 3ds max and maya to learn it (at some good point) and i truly believe that i will stick with 3dc and Houdini for a long long time.

• Contributor

Ah, another Houdineer! Now I know two from these forums. :)

I won't be getting back to Maya too, unless I'm forced to by my next employer.

Python implementation is so crappy in Maya when compared to HOM... :o

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

I work with all 3 of them depending the license availability and employer. 

But i felt in love with Houdini a loooooooot.

If you can script seriously (i dont lol) then truly there are no limits.

Wish it was a bit more artist friendly though...... maybe in 15 

• Contributor

I feel quite comfortable with Python scripting in Houdini, though I still have many things to learn. I like that SESI actually bothered to make almost everything in Houdini - an object in HOM with all of necessary functions and methods. I don't remember if I ever had to mix Python with HScript within a single script, but I do remember many situations from Maya where mixing Python or PyMEL with MEL was necessary.

Today only a small update. Some corrections to the form, arms, rough teeth and legs. It's hard to see how critter's legs look like. They're always covered with fur or are outside of frame. :ph34r:

post-12523-0-55887400-1441384135_thumb.j

• Like 3

• Contributor
  • Contributor

Those above have been done with a fur system. ;)

Nevertheless, one of those images is an outstanding reference of Crites' wrinkles. So thanks, Michael. :)

P.S. So it's Krite, not Crite as I previously thought.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Of course , and we all know with which one unfortunately.....

I uploaded those as i think they clearly show how hair goes on the Crite.

First think i noticed as well were the wriggles lol , good sculptor .

• Contributor

:friends:

Says it all.

Haha, okay. :)

I caught myself copycatting FoxHound Krite's wrinkles. It cost me a lot to stop myself from doing this and return to using my screengrabs as a reference. :)

Observation: Sculpting near symmetry plane almost always results with a double-depth hole at the symmetry plane's location. I spend a lot of time trying to avoid this. Andrew, if you read this - maybe it could be improved somehow?

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

It's 05:04 AM Saturday morning, and I just got back from a blues band's gig. I'm finishing up a can of some awful beer while listening to a medieval Celtic music and... sculpting a Krite in a virtual clay...

I guess it's the best time to hit the hay and kiss Hypnos goodnight . :)

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1