9 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 11 Winner

• ajz3d
    • benk
    • BringItBack
    • carlosan
    • Michaelgdrs

• Contributor

Dont worry Tony , i am doing this at least since 2008 and i am kicking like a horse lol.

From 1999 i work professionally with various employers and 3d fields at the same time that i was taking my degrees / college etc , working normal 8 hours labour time.

2008 i started the studio and running like a dog lol.

2011 and after with freelancing things went out of control , clients around the clock (various continents ) team around the clock as well , you know how it goes.

• Contributor

Yes, be careful about your health when working for long hours. I had this crazy week before I left for vacation during which I had to work even for 16 hours daily for several consecutive days. I still feel the strain in my spine.

Some medium details:

post-12523-0-38418100-1441505814_thumb.j

I'd like to start creating the fur after the first half of the next week.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

• Contributor

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO A GOOD HAIR / FUR JOB BECAUSE THIS IS LOOKING AWESOME ALREADY.

Strain on spine is a common issue by the way.

Plus dizziness and general happiness lol

• Like 1

Great work in this challenge, looking forward to the results. I've been slowly putting a project together which also happens to be hairy. This isn't necessarily challenge material, it won't be done by the deadline and is more brush-oriented than surface... 

post-39209-0-79710900-1441510289_thumb.j

• Like 3

• Contributor

It's said that Churchill only slept four hours a night but he also took short cat naps.

I sleep 3 hours a night (except week end when I take 9-10hrs).

I take 15 minutes naps on afternoon, just closing my eyes listening to music, feel refreshed after that.

It's ok, some people don't need much sleep anyway. In the end it doesn't matter we end up sleeping a third of our life, no matter what (if you get my meaning) :D

• Like 1

• Contributor

Great work in this challenge, looking forward to the results. I've been slowly putting a project together which also happens to be hairy. This isn't necessarily challenge material, it won't be done by the deadline and is more brush-oriented than surface... 

attachicon.gifLionHead.002.detail.001.3b.jpg

Why not , post it any way.

• Contributor

I sleep 3 hours a night (except week end when I take 9-10hrs).

I take 15 minutes naps on afternoon, just closing my eyes listening to music, feel refreshed after that.

It's ok, some people don't need much sleep anyway. In the end it doesn't matter we end up sleeping a third of our life, no matter what (if you get my meaning) :D

O yes ahahahahaahah.

If i try to get a tiny cat sleep or 15 to 30 minutes i end up waking after 3 or 4 hours so i don't even try it.

Did a good research a while ago and ended up knowing that it needs a good 2 hours of sleep to trick mind and feel like batteries are fully charged again.

• Contributor

attachicon.gifLionHead.002.detail.001.3b.jpg

An excellent start. Please, keep it coming! :)

• Advanced Member

hey ajz3d that's one cool looking model does he have a tail or a back fin/tip like a stegosauro ?  luckly it looks as if I could out run him or atleast as they say just out run whom ever your with ...once again very cool model he looks bad enough to just where its victims fur as a fur trench coat animal matrix style.

• Like 1

• Contributor

hey ajz3d that's one cool looking model does he have a tail or a back fin/tip like a stegosauro ?  luckly it looks as if I could out run him or atleast as they say just out run whom ever your with ...once again very cool model he looks bad enough to just where its victims fur as a fur trench coat animal matrix style.

Thanks Ballistic_Tension. :)

Critters don't have tails or back fins. And don't let the tiny legs fool you as outrunning them might be problematic (unless, like you said, you'd outrun whomever is accompanying you ;)). In the movies they curl into a furry ball and quickly roll towards their victims. They also shoot tranquilizer spikes from their heads (I now realized that I forgot to model those spikes), attack in packs and are capable of setting-up ambushes.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Great progress with the winged lion, BringItBack. A very dynamic pose. I love it. :good2:

--

I've been doing some lookdev and research on the fur and I think alpha-mapped polygonal hair will be the best solution for my creature. However..., after preparing some scenes and doing test renders, I began to realize how much time and effort it would require to create a sufficient amount of polygons and tweaking to mask the artificial look of the hair. And forget doing this in 3D-Coat with its clunky extrude tools (unless one wants to spend an eternity in the retopo room). For creation of the fur polygons in the example below I had to use Nvil because of its streamlined toolset. The arm fur consists of 16 objects. Way too few, and each one still too short to provide a plausible result (it was more of a test of how cut-outs render in Mantra).

post-12523-0-82768600-1442097753_thumb.j

There are still 6 days left, so I might just clench my teeth and go on with the boring stuff of creating fur polygons :rofl: , but I am -this close- from resigning from my participation in the challenge and going straight for Houdini hair system. I simply feel I'd be wasting my time doing fur without a fur system if my target renderer will be Mantra anyway.

Well, we'll see.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Benk man , we need an extension on the deadline.

No need to extend it, at least not because of me. 6 days is plenty of time to do the "furry" poly-pushing. It's just it's a boring task and using Houdini fur is tempting. :)

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Sculpt the basic fur shapes on 3dc and add snakes as hair , no need to retopo it.

This was my initial idea for the rat and it was looking great , then i said i wanted to create something usable in a game engine for example ,  so i retopo and sculpt the fur , snakes were removed.

• Contributor

Just a quick test for transparent fur in one single polygon in 3d coat (polygon was created in retopo room)

144211004391.jpg 

And divided for a curved style

144211012628.jpg 

Sooooo it can be done in 3d coat with some tricks.....

• Like 1

• Contributor

Yes, this is how I've been doing it.

An update:

I've spent several hours today on extruding and poly-pushing fur sheets. I ended up with about 40 objects just to cover part of the head. It's still not enough and the fur-covered area looks bald in many areas. Doubling the numbers of poly sheets would cover these places, but it would cost me even more time to do this.

post-12523-0-97433700-1442190418_thumb.j

I think that creating this kind of fur without any kind of automation isn't worth the effort. It would be OK to do human hair with this method or something similar, but fur for a super-furry critter...? No no. :) Normally, if I were to accomplish this while not being restricted by requirements of the challenge, I'd go straight for the fur system, or if the goal was to create a fur for a game engine, I'd probably either:

- create several textured fur sheets, scatter their instances on the creatures body and then tweak them a little.

- use the fur system to create and comb the curves, then sweep polygons through them and export for painting.

So, this leaves me with a sculpted fur. It will look plasticine, but at least I won't have to waste hours on it. ;)

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2