9 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 11 Winner

• ajz3d
    • benk
    • BringItBack
    • carlosan
    • Michaelgdrs

• Contributor

Great , i wanted to see the textures and fur , as now it takes away some of the magic.

But don't you think that the most terrifying are things that our eyes can't see? Because then our imagination kicks-in and digs out the worst fears from our brains? :D

Most of the horror flicks, at least from the 80's and early 90's usually show monsters in a very dark light. I think it's not only to hide faults of the puppets or costumes, but also because of the factor that I mentioned above. You can't serve everything on a plate, really. ;)

Great work so far , eyes , mouth and teeth gave me the chills .....

Wow ajz3d! That monster is amazing! Great job so far!

Thanks guys! :drinks:

Tomorrow is the render day. I wish Mantra was a CPU+GPU renderer. It's quite slow, even with optimized settings.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Oohhhh sorry....

In this case then ......  

VOTE FOR RAT

RAT FOR THE WIN

VOTE FOR RAT

ahahahahhaahahahahah.

Edited by Michaelgdrs
  • Like 1

• Contributor

CONGRATS ARTUR!!!!

Now someone give me the emblem from current KING BENK.

I will kiss it a bit..... hug it a bit...... maybe kiss it again some more.... and then i will give it to CURRENT KING ARTUR.

ahahahahahahahahahaahahha

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Congratulations and well done ajz3D! Looking forward to your selection for the next challenge.

bk

• Like 2

• Contributor

Yippee! :yahoo:
Thank you all for your votes. It was a pleasure to participate in the challenge amongst such fine artists. I love all of the creatures you guys have created. :wub:

This challenge was an excellent opportunity for me to explore various methods of manual fur creation. The choice of the proper one for my creature wasn't easy. Many times while working with poly sheets (it was a monotonous and a very time consuming process) I caught myself jumping back to sculpt room just to see if maybe a sculpted fur will look better on the Crite. At one point I also came up with an idea to clone a single poly strip over the body, combine the resulting retopo groups into one and then comb the strips with a Brush tool into any type of hairstyle. This would work if "roots" of the strips could be locked in place and the stroke could start outside of geometry. Unfortunately, neither of this is possible in the retopo room, so I had to drop this idea.

I'm thinking on a subject for the next challenge. I'll post it this weekend.

---
P.S. The blueish tint was intentional as I, more-or-less, tried to emulate "Hollywood night" lighting conditions from night scenes in "Critters 2: Main Course":

post-12523-0-17741200-1443886750_thumb.j
(a still from "Critters 2: Main Course", New Line Cinema 1988)

On my final renders I had to increase the exposure quite a bit to reveal the details. Otherwise they would be lost in the darkness. Hence the lighting might be a little bit off.

• Like 1

• Contributor

you just needed a little push.......

If you hadn't backed me up with firm words during my moment of doubt, I probably wouldn't finish the creature without using some kind of fur system as I was super tired with transforming of all those 283 sheets. :)

Guys, regarding subject of the new challenge:

what is your stance on fairy tales and medieval clothing?

• Like 2

Congrats AJ! Your moment of doubt is probably written in the job description of at least a few Pixar staff.  :D And well done to everyone.

Fairy tales / medieval clothing sounds good. I'm still putzing away on the lion, looking forward to seeing this if you go ahead.

• Like 2

• Contributor

Actually, they didn't speak like this. :D

That's Hollywood's line. :)

--

Okay, maybe not this in particular, but all those ARRs and HARRs or anything with hard R's in general. :D

Edited by ajz3d