9 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 11 Winner

• ajz3d
    • benk
    • BringItBack
    • carlosan
    • Michaelgdrs

• Contributor

I think it looks terrible. :) The main problem is manual distribution, management and painting of large quantities of poly sheets. I might give it one more try tomorrow - with larger and fewer sheets (and different stamp alphas), but I doubt it would look any better. Thus, I'm leaning towards sculpted hair.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

ajz3D: I encourage you to do what you can with 3DC...because that is ultimately the point. Maybe some of your trials will spark some creative development towards a unique, 3DC approach to fur modeling that might offer users a better option than other commercial products. I also encourage you to follow through on Houdini if you have time so that the community can see the contrast and differences. Clearly the 3DC toolset has technical limitations in this area but I don't think that should inhibit the artist's creativity in using the tools at their disposal....perhaps the sculpted hair version may prove to be more valid than an out of the box particle/fur system. No doubt the look will be different but it might be a stronger artistic statement. As stated in the rules "does the algorithm control the art or does the artist".

Just my two cents worth. I am certain however you proceed you will produce fine work.

bk

• Like 2

• Contributor

Benk is correct , i apologize Benk for proposing --> forget the rules and the contest.

(i just wanted the badge soooo bad that i wanted to take him out for good ) lol

• Advanced Member

No apologies needed Michael. It is my hope that these contests can help us all increase our skills, increase our understanding, and improve our art without being overburdened with technicalities.

bk

• Like 1

• Contributor

Most recent test render. I think it starts to looks fairly okay. 60 hair sheets (just for the fur on the top of the head!) and some of them are more or less planar, so I'm tweaking each one of those sheets ATM. It's a lot of work.

post-12523-0-00793300-1442270686_thumb.j

Mind you that I'm extruding and tweaking the sheets in Nvil. Not in 3D-Coat. It's absolutely possible to do this in 3DC's retopo room, but it requires a LOT more of tedious clicking (and I'm not a masochist :)), so if I'm breaking the challenge rules right now, then please warn me as soon as possible, Benk, before I waste too much time on it.

@BringItBack, Chingchong: Thanks guys!

@Chingchong: If you want to do thick fur with poly sheets, I think instancing or other kind of automation is highly recommended. Manually laying down so many sheets is just too much work and costs way too much time. But it should be okay for human hair. I estimate that I'll end up with about 300 sheets for manual tweaking and painting.

I thought about making just a few pre-textured sheets and distribute them manually in Houdini, but I think it would make the fur look repeatable. This workflow would be good for short fur though.

@Michael, I won't fall to your temptations. You devil, you! :drinks:

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Looking really good , especially for game engines no one could see and say the difference even if you put a fur system and yours side to side.

You are tempting me..... to re do the rat hair not sculpted this time but in retopo........  grrrrrrrrr the little voices in my head say ...... DO IT MICHAEL I NEED MY PRECIOUS BADGE LOL

• Like 1

• Contributor

Looking really good , especially for game engines no one could see and say the difference even if you put a fur system and yours side to side.

I bet there would be a significant difference. :)

You are tempting me..... to re do the rat hair not sculpted this time but in retopo........  grrrrrrrrr the little voices in my head say ...... DO IT MICHAEL I NEED MY PRECIOUS BADGE LOL

Go for it man!!! The badge is so shiny, so roundsss! My precioussssss... ;) Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

My palm is getting itchyyyyyy , palm , face , teeth..... you know where i am taking it lol.

ahahahahahahhahahaha  we must join forces and split the precioussssssss........ then i will throw you in the lava lol

• Contributor

The look and texture are great, and if that's how it looks from most angles, I'm impressed. It does seem like a steep workload to get there. 

Thanks. It looks okay from most angles.

Good show Carlos! Very nice pose.

When I saw your rat I felt an immediate urge to consume some cheese. :)

---

I regularily perform test renders of hair distribution viewed from different angles. 0.25 opacity of the dark and untextured hair sheets nicely contrast with the shiny red shader of the creatures body. This gives me a general idea on areas which still require more sheets. Wherever I see red colour peeking through, it means more fur objects need to be inserted at that location.

post-12523-0-12533800-1442417515_thumb.j

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

Just a tip, the cheese needs some sharpness, and maybe another shader :).... go for it.

And then some more hairs on the head, too

:)

Thanks. It looks okay from most angles.

Good show Carlos! Very nice pose.

When I saw your rat I felt an immediate urge to consume some cheese. :)

---

I regularily perform test renders of hair distribution viewed from different angles. 0.25 opacity of the dark and untextured hair sheets nicely contrast with the shiny red shader of the creatures body. This gives me a general idea on areas which still require more sheets. Wherever I see red colour peeking through, it means more fur objects need to be inserted at that location.

attachicon.gif13_fur_distribution_test_renders.jpg

is this Gene Simmons?  ;)

• Like 1

• Contributor

Very very very AWEOSOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Please do a killer skin paint and i will personally hang the precious badge in your neck and hip hip horrey 3 times for you.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I can't shake the feeling that the fur looks like chicken feathers. Hopefully after all of it is textured, its overall appearance will improve.

Too bad, we cannot use cloth-sim tool for this, so that the hair fells more tightly to the body.

But still great effort.

p.s.

maybe if you also implement some longer strands, from forehead to the neck

http://inthemouthofdorkness.blogspot.de/2012/03/dork-art-critter.html

Edited by chingchong
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Do not expect it to be perfect , its hard to achive something like that with the current tools we have.

Why do you think i chose to sculpt the fur although for the last couple years all of the characters i create for games are with low poly mesh hair? (poly strands)