3DCoat Forums

Crashing while trying to bake to MicroVertex

gerkx

Go to solution Solved by gerkx,

Hello All,

I am attempting to bake my character from the Retopo room for Microvertex painting (the character will be using deep displacement in Houdini/Mantra, thus the MV vs PPP).  When the subdivision progress bar is nearly complete, it crashes with a fatal error stating it is out of memory and to allot more Virtual Memory.

I have 64gb of physical memory, and 32gb of virtual memory assigned. Watching the memory usage in the task manager, it hits about 12gb of usage when the crash occurs, so running out of memory is obviously not the issue.

I was using 4.5.06, but also downloaded/tried the latest build, 4.5.12A with the same results. I am on Win 8.1, if that of use as well.

I'm trying to bake to 3 maps, one of the head, one of the the torso, one for the arms, and have tried splitting the mesh into separate groups to bake individually as well, with the same result.

My sculpt object in the vox room is fairly high rez, so as to allow me to sculpt in my pores and wrinkles... but it seems to be crashing while still subdividing my retopo mesh, so that wouldn't be it, right?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. I'm beginning to pull my hair out of this.

Cheers,

Pat

post-39280-0-99217800-1439637359_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

Whenever I get these bake crashes I also check that I don't have any 'internal' geometry by switching all my objects to voxel mode and then

- fill voids

- close invisible hulls

Also check your UV layouts carefully, I've had crashes from overlap before

I actually can't convert to Voxels? I'm getting the same crash...

I've been able to clone/degrade to voxels, but that removes too much of my detail... but if I just click the button to transfer to Voxels from Surface mode, it has the same memory error crash

• Solution

Success!

I went into the sculpt room and hit the torso with the decimation brush, since it will be covered by clothes anyways. It only the reduced the poly count by a bit, but it worked. I was able to bake with no problems... 

Thanks for the effort guys, I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Pat

• Like 1