3DCoat Forums

Some works arround Star Wars

Vexod14

• 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Some WIP level's screenshots =) Every texture was made with 100 % 3DCoat !

LevelArt_08.thumb.jpg.86f4e9742fddd21c7e215fa9fbbc3697.jpgLevelArt_07.thumb.jpg.e70eb9975378021d69f0298e51b0b88c.jpgLevelArt_06.thumb.jpg.91977e9a85945020aa0a646297f0a3fb.jpgLevelArt_05.thumb.jpg.f5d9f0a4d4670050cc094307a248559c.jpgLevelArt_04.thumb.jpg.32469801b3b23758f92ba9270a1b3782.jpgLevelArt_03.thumb.jpg.5627f7a6a9df649809a64f10323b9c78.jpgLevelArt_02.thumb.jpg.3c26bc9300bb62f74bc03cc8e2e50bc3.jpgLevelArt_01.thumb.jpg.e75cf16f5debc6cbe8104899e528bbda.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi everyone ! I've done some stuff since last post :)

First of all, the splash screen is now 99,99% made on marmoset, meaning that this...

StarWars-Redemption_SplashArt-Turnover_0

...Can easily be shot these ways :

StarWars-Redemption_RealtimeSplashScreen

And of course textures are 100% done with 3DCoat, I also dis some retopology on character parts ( most of the time organic ones such as body and head ) and UV packing ( your algo are a blast, I love them ! )

I also improved Jetpack VFX by using simple displacement over a simple mesh ( same used for the musleflash ^^ ). Once it's UV animated in unreal engine 4 it works damn good =D

JetPackVFX.jpg?1526242789

Reworked Mevenn's face topology + facial rig and her textures aswell, animating her face now is super easy ^^

CHA_Mevenn_Expressions.jpg?1526240454

And now we can pilot the ARC-170 =D
ARC-170_02.jpg?1526254703

ARC-170_01.jpg?1526254704

Geonosis environment is on its way  =) I made some rock formations, then separated them into smaller blocks in order to build anything ( okay guys "almost" anything ^^ ). The material adds sand on the top, it's fairly simple at the moment but I may upgrade it when I'll have to work on snowy environments ;)

GeonosisLevelArtTest.jpg?1526254737

Concept board I made before doing env stuff :

ConceptArt_Geonosis_Props_02.jpg?1526254

That's all atm =)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

An update about the current state of the project

I've been heavily focusing on it last weeks (curious thing as I've also a (super-cool) job during the day, I should rest more, but instead of it I work like a machine ^^"). 

So here is a summary : 
- Now we have a build. Yeah. Game is finally standalone, playable on a (good enough) windows PC. That's something we should've had a long time ago but anyway, now it's there. And it's cool
- Since our only game designer left the project months ago we've faced a problem : we had to do blueprint. And as an artist, it's always a pain to dig into this for many reasons. But hey ! Look at the cool part of the solution : you're going to learn it ! And it becomes more and more fun to use finally ;)
So now, I also take care of blueprints
- I've started working on Lumberia last year, because I had enough of desert environments of both Geonosis and Space corridors, and I've started to create modular environment assets to build a dungeon. You've seen some of these on the past updates when I was trying to create my master env. shader, now everything works I can show a bit more of it. Every environment benefits of it, and it speeds up a lot the way I worked them. But I'm not 100% satisfied with what I get, since I think it involves still too much repetitive task and could be more optimized. Next project should start from it and improve it.
- I've also decided to stop developing the project, not due to any strike (don't worry), but simply because I've figured out that I've mostly developed it alone, and I can't keep doing this. It's above my will now, I need to do something else than working again when I'm "off-work", and focus and shorter project. That's why, in next December's end, Redemption's updates will heavily decrease and hopefully reach 0 faster than light. I think this project could've been far far away than what we have now, and of course I'll be forever sad about it, but time has come to leave it behind and explore new horizons. Next project won't be about Star Wars by the way.

That said, there's still one big month to add more stuff =P

So let's go for the screenshots and enjoy ;)

etienne-beschet-swr-screenshot-mainmenu.

etienne-beschet-swr-screenshot-geonosis-

etienne-beschet-swr-atlasenvtile-geonosi

etienne-beschet-swr-screenshot-lumberia-

etienne-beschet-swr-mainatlasenvtile-lum

Des Bisous

Edited by Vexod14
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

Latest character, made with 3DCoat akeytsu and Marmoset Toolbag 4 =D

artstation post : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/w64ZaY 

etienne-beschet-cha-clonetrooper-phase-2etienne-beschet-cha-clonetrooper-phase-2etienne-beschet-cha-clonetrooper-phase-2etienne-beschet-cha-clonetrooper-phase-2

Also, here are full PBR handpainting processes to achieve the result ;)

Some closeup of the texture (rendered in 3DCoat native render room, really nice to play with like other tools of the software =)) :

etienne-beschet-swr-501st-3dcoat-01.jpg?etienne-beschet-swr-501st-3dcoat-02.jpg?etienne-beschet-swr-501st-3dcoat-03.jpg?etienne-beschet-swr-shocktrooper-3dcoat-etienne-beschet-swr-shocktrooper-3dcoat-etienne-beschet-swr-shocktrooper-3dcoat-

Cheers ! 

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Wip wip wip +D

I really love this environment vibes ♥ Holobooks needs more life btw, It's just a draft ^^ I also decided to cut off one of the blades to give that lightsaber a more brutal feeling

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Big update !

So, here we are. The demo is finally available in its very first public version !

Please take the time to read the following lines :

- The demo is given for free, all you need to do is to register here on artstation, go to my store here : https://artstn.co/m/y138n and pick the demo. If you want to share the demo to a friend, please share the link to the free product instead of copying files on a USB key, it helps me having an idea of how many players tested it (it should also help reporting bugs later on, tracking who gets what...etc. Thanks in advance)

I wish you will enjoy exploring this little project !

- Since it's "inspired by" star wars (but not only), you may reckognize environments, starfighters, destroyers...etc. Yet I didn't want to stick to existing designs at a "fanatic"-precision, so you may notice differences between official designs and those from Redemption

- The demo comes in a v1.0, meaning we plan to add some more stuff to it in the near future. Yet a demo is a demo, not a AAA game. We will polish unfinished things, fix as many bugs as we can, add what's missing today regarding our ToDo-List, but it will stop there. Please refrain from making feature requests, we won't add them. Bugs can be reported here and we will see how many we could fix for a last version.

- The game should run fine on most configs, if you experience any lag, please go in options, set a different game quality ("screenpercentage" doesn't work yet) and launch a level (this will apply new settings). The game runs smoothly on a 2080 RTX with a i7 9th Gen & 8GB of RAM so if you've got this (or better) it's good ! By default game quality is set to Epic, the "Ultra" mode is here for "Cinematic" quality, but is visually not this better, only sharp trained eyes will seea difference.

- At the moment, the game only offers to explore levels & collect little flying creatures called "ForceGhosts". To finish a level, you need to find them all and reach the end trigger box.

-Trigger boxes aren't always placed at the end of a level, since some levels have a "loop" flow, but every time the box is on the biggest "Exit door" of the level (not necessary a door visually...but I guess you've got it )

This first public release is here to thank all of the fans of the project who have been waiting patiently for this, as well as a simple tribute to the fantastic & inspiring StarWars universe.

I don't know what I would be today if this Far far away Galaxy didn't exist. It's something that is part of me, of a lot of people, and I wish this addition will serve at its best the most of us !

Here is the game cover, you have the file amongst some more in the final folder if you want to change for fresh wallpapers ;)
StarWars-Redemption_GameCover.jpg?162758
Also it's funny but here's the Cover in akeytsu ^^ Yep. It's a great tool to do a lot of things +D
Capture_d'%C3%A9cran_2021-08-01_03.34.40

StarWars-Redemption_Wallpaper_MevennLumS

StarWars-Redemption_Wallpaper_StarDestro

StarWars-Redemption_Wallpaper_StarDestro

StarWars-Redemption_Wallpaper_LevelArt_L

With the release of this demo, we've made a Trailer. And it's almost as heavy as making the game, it involves especially a different approach of animation, since you're making shots and not realtime game cycles, it's okay to have a bad pose when you turn around, the superior rule  is to take care or arcs, posings, motion through frames. Bend your characters if you need to make them follow strong arcs, don't be affraid of breaking their arms & legs. Well. Here's that trailer:

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Little new guy added to the cast ;) Each skin variant painted as usual with our beloved 3D-Coat ♥ Yet I didn't follow completely the original designs (as you might have noticed, I like to take some artistic freedom when it comes to fan art ;))

I've also rigged/skinned/animated it through akeytsu, it was super simple (it's just about a big pelvis, no bend, two limited arms...but it was interesting to bring some life to this =))
The model is available on both artstation & flippednormals, simply search for "vexod14" once there ;)
Rendered using Marmoset Toolbag 4.03, modeled with 3dsMax

etienne-beschet-template-swr-thumbnails.

etienne-beschet-rd-cha-unit-r2-d2.jpg?16etienne-beschet-rd-cha-unit-r4-d5.jpg?16etienne-beschet-rd-cha-unit-r3-d3.jpg?16etienne-beschet-rd-cha-unit-rx-dx.jpg?16etienne-beschet-rd-cha-unit-r7-d3.jpg?16

I also did a new posing for the artstation thumbnail of Mevenn, sinci now she holds two lightsabers and has evolved in terms of posing, I thought it was the good moment to refresh it :

etienne-beschet-template-swr-thumbnails-

In the meantime, I'm working hard to bring out more content in SWR, the demo made great impression so far over all the fandom, but it wasn't accomplished as I envisioned it. All I can tell is 3D-Coat still plays a vital part of it ;)

Cheers guys !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I'm starting a new part of this project, it's about jedi (again, rhoooooolàlà how dare I ! ^^) I try to stream each day while making these assets so users can get a sneaky eye on the magical technique behind SWR textures (well, nothing magical. It's more about patience and enjoying the process =))

Here's my twitch : https://www.twitch.tv/vexod14

Capture d'écran 2022-02-13 01.51.50.png

Capture d'écran 2022-02-15 02.23.05.png
unknown.png
Capture_decran_2022-02-20_02.24.54.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

Edited by Vexod14
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi there =)

So I've finished these characters and made a few renders, just to see roughly what's possible to do with 3 outfits, 9 boots, 5 beards (important !), 1 TwiLek (Super Important), Zabraks, 5 hilts, various skin tones and both male & female variants...and damn. That delivers a lot of possibilities, it's so coool ! I can legitimately light up tons of lighsabers with unique characters behind, it's freaking cool ! As always, these were fully textured on 3DCoat and I hope to continue working on it for a long time, I love the way I can craft my textures the way I want ! Rig/Skin/Posings were fully made on akeytsu =)

You can view these on artstation : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OmxKZg

etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedis
etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-
etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-
etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-
etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-
etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-
etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-etienne-beschet-rd-cha-highrepublicjedi-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I just made a lineup, after I tweaked some of the colors. Just want to say how wonderful 3DCoat is when you've setup the whole layerstack and start to change colors, patterns, values. It's fast, nice, efficient, and offers a wide variety of possibilities over a fully-controled texture. I just love it ♥

etienne-beschet-swr-jedis-lineup.jpg?164

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

lil' update on the clopne troopers phase 2 : they now have theor commanders properley set up and ready for a solid Order 66 =D

High/Lowpoly, Uvs done with 3dsMax

Rig/Skin/Anim done with Akeytsu

All textures done with 3D-Coat (+Curvature bake), 4K UVset for clone armor & Arc trooper stuff, 2K for DC15S & DC15A, 1K for DC17 handblasters

Bake done with Marmoset Toolbag 4 (IDMap/NormalMap/AO)

lighting/renders done with Marmoset Toolbag 4

etienne-beschet-rd-cha-ct-arc-phase2-10.
etienne-beschet-rd-cha-ct-arc-phase2-11.
etienne-beschet-rd-ct-arc-phase2-414th-0
etienne-beschet-rd-ct-arc-phase2-kamino-
etienne-beschet-rd-ct-arc-phase2-shock-0

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Also, using a simple tiling method to create my texture atlases for environment art I sped up my workflow and raised up the bar a bit =) Textures are still fully handpainted on 3DCoat (Lucrehulk textures palette was the most expressive I could create, it's very abstract and you can feel a lot of subtle brushstrokes everywhere, just enough so it feel it has been carefully painted by a human =) Then once the atlas texture was done plus a little dirtmap on the fly, all I had to do was modeling and UVs. It's extremely fast to make levels this way, I feel like a lot of my past projects could've been done in a way shorter amount of time, I guess we all learn everyday !)

So here are my two new environments : Archives/Servers (Coruscant Jedi Temple) and Lucrehulk corridors
(And yes, Archives was already shown a little in the trailer last year, but this was an unfinished version, good enough if blurred haha. This playable area demanded a lot of refinements, and new zones appeared interesting to bring in like the servers room =))

RD_SWR_LVL_Coruscant_Temple_Jedi_ArchiveRD_SWR_LVL_Coruscant_Temple_Jedi_ArchiveRD_SWR_LVL_Coruscant_Temple_Jedi_Servers

I also used akeytsu to pose Jedi knights in "statue" stances, then by using the extremely cool uv Pack+autobake of existing layers of 3D-Coat I managed to have fully non-overlapped statues where every pixel could have its own metal/color/rough/AO values =) It tooks me a few hours to Pose/UV/texture out 6 statues. Again, akeytsu + 3DCoat was the ultimate combo ♥

WIP_Archives_Statues_01.jpg?1649840104

RD_SWR_LVL_Lucrehulk_01.jpg?1649837365RD_SWR_LVL_Lucrehulk_09.jpg?1649838658RD_SWR_LVL_Lucrehulk_Sewers_02.jpg?16498

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hello Force users !

Here's my take on the N-1 Starfighter, made for the fan project Star Wars - Redemption of course. This one was quite challenging because of its excellent design shapes (to me it's THE one), it was also a real pleasure as always when doing fan art, but especially this one because you can use colors you rarely mix up together (that fresh & rusted yellow...♥)

I didn't model the cockpit because for the demo it was overkill, but that's something I'd like to do one day. References on the lower part near foot pedals are quite hard to find though ^^"

I made it with :

- 3dsMax (Higl/Low/UVs)

- 3DCoat ( Handpaint PBR textures)

- Akeytsu ( Rig/skin/anim)

- Marmoset (Normal/AO Bake/Still & solo renders)

- Unreal Engine 4 (rendering/integration/VFX/blueprint controls...etc)

Hope you'll enjoy this as much as I do =)

Full post here : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/NGzq6q

etienne-beschet-rd-prp-starfighter-n-1-0etienne-beschet-rd-prp-starfighter-n-1-0etienne-beschet-rd-prp-starfighter-n-1-0etienne-beschet-rd-prp-starfighter-n-1-1etienne-beschet-rd-prp-starfighter-n-1-1etienne-beschet-rd-n-1-01.jpg?1655115187etienne-beschet-rd-n-1-02.jpg?1655114312
etienne-beschet-rd-prp-starfighter-n-1-1etienne-beschet-rd-prp-starfighter-n-1-0etienne-beschet-rd-prp-starfighter-n-1-0etienne-beschet-rd-prp-starfighter-n-1-0etienne-beschet-rd-prp-starfighter-n-1-0etienne-beschet-rd-lvl-naboospace-01.jpg

• Like 1