3DCoat Forums

Unreal engine 4 - 3d coat PBR cooperation

Hello,

Could someone perhaps explain or help me out why 3d coat PBR looks different to what material looks in UE4. Basically it seems like that the main issue is difference in roughness map. I am using metal/roughness workflow, but display of material itself is quite different in 3d coat than it is in UE4. Could it be possibly that UE4 natively does not use HDRI method for rendering, or is there simply difference in lightness/darkness of roughness map?

Hey, just wanted to drop by that actually i got it looking pretty much the same now, i was not utilizing roughness maps properly and metalness either. Have to say aswell that i absolutely love PBR painting in 3d coat, after 3 years using the same spec/gloss/nrml based approach i had to adopt now to full pbr painting becouse its defenetly worth it. Make some pre-ready pbr materials and pop the painting on model in 3d coat. Tested Substance painter and its not nearly as good, it has much worse performance impact, it loads materials terribly slowly, its buggy and interface is more complicated than 3d coats. So now finnaly utilizing the part of 3d coat that i havent been using before which is painting. 

Very unique piece of software picking very robust features with updates that is what makes this software good. GU unwraping is just one of them. 

• Like 1

• Contributor

Correct but we need the export presets from SP , you know

Unity 5

Unreal 

Vray

Houdini Mandra

Redshift 

etc etc

So we don't have to guess or create complex shader setups etc etc.

We need export presets for the popular ones at least 

Hi Janpec1000,

Could be a bunch of stuff. Something quick you could try...

Have you set SRGB to off on the Roughness and Metallic textures? If not double click the textures in the content browser and turn off SRGB. Then re-add the textures to the material in Unreal 4 (or change the ones you have in there to linear colour).

Greg

Hm interesting, srgb does make significant difference, roughness map itself is less shiny with its turned off. What is the proper use of roughness maps with metal workflow, does roughness map needs sRGB turned off by default? 

Its wierd becouse Marmoset 2 with sRGB turned on makes metal rendering quite extreme on shininess, while UE4 does tone it more closely to 3d coat with its turned off. 

• Advanced Member

my guess on this would be that 3Dcoat exports Roughness map/texture as Linear (gamma 1.0 )  which is why when you uncheck sRGB in UE4 you are telling it to compute it as Linear . Substance Painter does it that way so I can only guess 3dc is also like this I asked about RGB and sRGB in a new thread but no response yet. I would guess that Marmoset 2 is setup different  . I say guess because I am just now learning all of this mostly over at allegorithmic site and how it works with what you see on your display and what is exported out. Would like to know how 3Dcoat is setup myself to know why you/I  are unchecking sRGB  in ue4..Basicly I have the same kinda color problem using blender which is sRGB then in 3dc the RGB # S are different .