3DCoat Forums

3DC like navigation in Zbrush?

chingchong

• Advanced Member

Hi,

I really like the navigation setup in 3d Coat for pens/ graphic tablets.

How you can zoom, pan and adjust the brush size and depth with only pen and penbuttons.

Thought, it would be nice  to have this setup also in Zbrush.

So far, im  just using original navigation in ZB.

Does anybody know if this could be achieved in Zbrush, too? And how?

• Contributor

I use the Zswitcher plug-in (made by dRaster) to get Maya-style navigation in Zbrush. The plug-in is a nice start, but it doesn't give you the same brush size/intensity control like in 3DC. I think that awesome feature is unique to 3DC.

I used to hate switching between apps because my mind would also have to switch to different navigation systems (that's why I bought Zswitcher, and that's why I use Maya-style nav in Blender). But then, there are some apps which can't be modified to act like Maya nav (like Photoshop). Also for example, some parts of Blender don't allow Maya style navigation (node editor, animation curve editor), so now, years later, I find that my mind has finally gotten used to changing my navigation mode based on which app I am in. I didn't think it was possible, but it is like learning to speak multiple languages, if you force it, your mind will eventually let you do it.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Thanks Timmy,

There was also a free plugin for middle mouse button (zoom) on the ZBCentral Forums.

(I guess it should be possible to write  also a plugin for brushsize/intensity adjustment with penbuttons.)

@Nossgrr:

I highly recommend to watch the tutorials (Videos or books ) from Madleine Scott Spencer, those pretty much cleared my confusion regarding Zbrushs Interface, navigation and their concept of naming (Tools, subtools, etc.).

• Advanced Member

Indeed, its still easier for me to sculpt with 3DC, but its hard to ignore Zbrush, its really powerfull (to be honest , in more than two things) and their approach for polymodellig is tailored to my needs (zModeler). Thats why i dropped modo :D.

And learning from  zBrush-Masters gave me ideas for new (personal) sculpting techniques in 3DC, too. So its fruitfull for me at least.

Edited by chingchong
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Indeed, its still easier for me to sculpt with 3DC, but its hard to ignore Zbrush, its really powerfull (to be honest , in more than two things) and their approach for polymodellig is tailored to my needs (zModeler). Thats why i dropped modo :D.

And learning from  zBrush-Masters gave me ideas for new (personal) sculpting techniques in 3DC, too. So its fruitfull for me at least.

That's an interesting decision on your part and I really want to see what will be the announcements of new functionality come Sept 25 and the summit.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

That's an interesting decision on your part and I really want to see what will be the announcements of new functionality come Sept 25 and the summit.

Yes, im also waiting if there would be something new, but strangely enough they did not announce anything regarding new features/ZB 5  for ZB-Summit.

There is only one Pixologic Demo announced on the summit schedules, so maybe then.

ZB and 3DC are always amazing with their releases. 

(But 3DC still rocks with pricing / value, only blender can compete. Just as sidemark: ZB Licenses  are  now, since the 27th of August not transferable, anymore.)

This fall can be a great one (ZB5? , Houdini 15 )

Edited by chingchong

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

It won't be a free upgrade but it will be a reduced price upgrade. 

I'm  hoping ZB5 will be a revelation, and a revolution.

IT would be sweet if they'd  bring something entirely reworked and rethought to the table. A whole new ergonomic

so far they only announced (yesterday on the Summit) a keyshot PRO plugin for just 500$ , before it only was a Keyshot  HD  plugin

nothing about ZB5   :(

Edited by chingchong

• Advanced Member

Missed that presentation.

Gotta watch the recaps, there seems to be some quite good tips from Keos Mason on posing with Zbrush, too.

Scott Eaton was excellent as usual. And applicable to 3d Coat too.  :D

I'm looking for them on You Tube an Vimeo but haven't found them yet. If you find them please post them here. 

This is the sculpture he does...a 4.5 hour job 

CP79echUcAAJxWu.jpg

CP93XUdUsAAGULA.jpg

• Advanced Member

Those are the interviews (boring) not the demos..Those aren't up on You Tube yet..

huh?

These are the full length recorded streams of the summit days, really.

Maybe you just clicked on the wrong points in the timeline :D

(only that the video track sometimes freeze, with audio only running... and viceversa)

Edited by chingchong

• Advanced Member

Do I misunderstood something? Is nanomesh not "just" using instances? Like 3D-Coat does it already?

yes, its not a new feature, it was  part of 4r7 already, btw.

its more elaborate than 3DC's  instancing

heres some explanation:

http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d-modeling/nanomesh/

NanoMesh Components

The NanoMesh system is devised from instanced geometry (called “Nanos”) that are linked to placement polygons. In order for a NanoMesh to be applied to a mesh it must be Targeted to the desired polygon(s) by using the dedicated ZModeler Action.

The Placement Mesh

The placement mesh can be composed of anything from a single polygon (triangle or quadrangle) to the entire 3D model. Any of a model’s polygons can be Targeted as the placement polygons.

• Advanced Member

Do I misunderstood something? Is nanomesh not "just" using instances? Like 3D-Coat does it already?

J

Just wait till you see this video. It's awesome. Nanomesh is a procedural texturing that is off the charts. I'm looking for it and will post it as soon as I can find it. Check back till it arrives.

• Advanced Member

here you go, Jason Martin on the Summit about Nanomesh

That's it! Thanks a lot.

:)

And then there's Scott Eaton's excellent tutorial too

(how do you post You Tubes inline now? I can't seem to do it anymore)

https://youtu.be/Ale6SXXbJMM