3DCoat Forums

Retopo Extrude locally?

lildragon

Hi I was curious, is there a way to use the Extrude command in the retopo room to extrude locally or along normals? Say for instance I have a circle of edges selected and I extrude, right now it appears to be trying to extrude in 3D space which I don't want, I would like the ring to extrude locally inwards... is this possible in 3dc?

thx

Hmm same deal  from any camera view, it shoots towards the camera. Thanks for the suggestion though. Unfortunately not a very functional command if they're no options with how you extrude... for instance, there's no option to extrude with disconnected faces, not that I need it but yeah.

Edited by lildragon

• Reputable Contributor

Try the FREE EXTRUDE tool. It acts like Maya's EXTRUDE tool, 3ds Max's INSET tool, but you get a gizmo with it and 3D Coat temporarily disables Auto Snapping while it's active. To see it, you need to select some Faces, and it will appear contextually in the COMMANDS section of the tool panel.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

T hats the one , my bad thought you already using Free Extrude.

Thank you Ranger.

No problem. The EXTRUDE tool works with EDGES mode, while FREE EXTRUDE works with FACES. The latter is a newer option. The EXTRUDE tool is kind of an old legacy tool that works pretty well when you want to extrude edges down the side of an object, like fingers or limbs. The NORMAL EXTRUDE tool is similar to the FREE EXTRUDE, but it has a gizmo that is aimed along the average vertex normal.

• Like 1