3DCoat Forums

How to lock normals when importing mesh for surface sculpting?

Magic Man

Go to solution Solved by ajz3d,

Hello,

I am facing an issue when trying to import an object that I created in MoI3d into 3D-Coat. Whenever I try to import the object in question for surface sculpting or vertex painting I get these facets:

post-39686-0-57785200-1442397266_thumb.j

However, when I try to import the objects for per pixel painting I get a dialog box which gives me the option of checking "Lock Normals". After I do so, the facets which were in my mesh before dissappear:

post-39686-0-69067000-1442397293_thumb.j

Sometimes I quickly want to paint and render a model inside of 3D-Coat without going through the trouble of retopologizing the model and then uv unwrapping it, so is there an option to also "Lock Normals" when importing a mesh for vertex painting?

Thank you.

• Contributor
  • Solution

You can't lock normals when importing geometry to Sculpt Room. If your object subdivides nicely, subdivide it with the Import tool before importing it. Or select a shader that respects (or maybe I should say - interpolates through) vertex normals, like Cook-Torrance, PicMat_Grey_Clay, Oren-Nayar and some others.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• 7 years later...