3DCoat Forums

strange UV issue

peterduncan3d

Go to solution Solved by ajz3d,

Hi,

I'm new to 3D coat, just starting to learn it and follow some the tuts, really loving it but I've encountered some odd behaviour that doesn't seem like a mistake I'm making (I hope), I wonder if anyone else has come across this?

Having done a quick voxel sculp and auto-retop I'm now trying to UV that retop by marking seams, which has almost worked but the islands aren't all unwrapping along the seams.

Two islands remain unwrapped, yet if I hover over the parts of the model that have failed to unwrap I get a preview of it unwrapped correctly flashing up in UV Preview.  So next I've tried selecting the failed islands individually for unwrapping and it works for the first, but if I then select the second failed island to do the same, the first I just fixed flips out sending some UV points crazily across the UV space, right across other islands.   Going back to fix this one again makes the second do the same and it goes on like that round in circles, with always one not working!

Any advice much appreciated.

Peter.

• Contributor

Hello Peter. :)

By default for unwrapping 3D-Coat uses the proprietary Global Uniform algorithm. It's much better than LSCM and ABF++, but I have seen it fail on some topology. In the UV Preview window try selecting offending islands and use the To LSCM and/or To ABF tools. They will unwrap selected UV islands with those algorithms. If you still get garbled UVs, then check your geometry and make sure it's clean, or maybe add more seams.

If this still doesn't help, can you put those troublemaking islands to a separate Retopo Group, hide all other groups and export to .obj for us to inspect? Or just share the whole model?

Edited by ajz3d

Hello ajz,

cheers for your reply, I tried the other unwrapping algortihms and it does the same thing, it seems to always want to send a UV vert to the upper left corner of the 0-1 space, most odd.  I exported the retop as an obj and checked it out in Modo and it seems fine, the errant vert was easily dragged back to the island it had pinged from.

I am VERY new to 3d coat and probably shouldn't be trying to run before I can walk! Still learning, and not quite grasped the workflow yet, like why my newly generated retop mesh doesn't show up under the UV tab so I could clean up the UV easily.  However I've just found a handy thread on the forums here with a list of tutorials to help folks such as myself finding the overall workflow quite hard to understand.

I've sent the 3d coat file to a share site if anyone wants to take a look, as it does seem there is a problem with the unwrapping stage.  Just doing a unwrap with the edge seams marked leaves two islands not unwrapped which seems odd when it works on one side of the model but not the other, and then there's the pinging vertex when trying to fix these two islands.

http://filepublicator.com/1y5o

Cheers,

Peter.

• Contributor
  • Solution

Peter, the geometry unwrapped with 3D-Coat version 4.5.16 without problems that you're having. What version of the program you're currently using?

Anyway, your problem is caused by dirty topology at the tip of the creature's arms. Manually recreate geometry in this area and the mesh should unwrap properly.

post-12523-0-06319300-1442482637_thumb.j

I am VERY new to 3d coat and probably shouldn't be trying to run before I can walk! Still learning, and not quite grasped the workflow yet, like why my newly generated retop mesh doesn't show up under the UV tab so I could clean up the UV easily.  However I've just found a handy thread on the forums here with a list of tutorials to help folks such as myself finding the overall workflow quite hard to understand.

Retopo groups never show up in the UV room. This room is used mostly for changing UVs on models that already have textures (it rebakes the textures if UVs are changed). But in the Retopo Room you have the whole UV toolset at your disposal - just select Mark Seams or Edge Loop tools and new tools will show up.

Edited by ajz3d