3DCoat Forums

Greater strength in the smooth tool

MkIII

I know this has been mentioned before, but in both 2.10.xx.xx and the V3.0 beta, the smoothing function for the paint brush is very limited in strength, especially when smoothing the Depth channel (even with numbers greater than 1.0). To be clear, this is the paint brush smooth function, not the sculpture tools.

Is it at all possible to at least increase the strength of the smooth paint brush action, on normal maps/height, so that it is capable of smoothing out more than very slight bumps. I'd say the range should be more like 10x the strength it achieves now.

On a side note, why is it "depth", when, generally, this is known as "height", and the default action is to add height rather than create depth?

10 x ....

I think it is better to use sculpt mode for so strong smoothing of depth. It works 10-20 x faster.

Interesting. I always assumed that was operating purely on the mesh, and since my work is on painting & detailing low poly game models, rather than creating new sculptures, I have avoided using it, not wanting to alter the shape of the base mesh. It hadn't ocurred to me that its smooth tool would be usable.

Yes, the sculpt smooth option does smooth the mesh nicely, but when I go back to paint mode, the layers that I want to smooth (specifically the normal map), are not affected.

How do I detail layers above zero & use the sculpt smoothing to smooth the depth/normals on those layers?

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting. I always assumed that was operating purely on the mesh, and since my work is on painting & detailing low poly game models, rather than creating new sculptures, I have avoided using it, not wanting to alter the shape of the base mesh. It hadn't ocurred to me that its smooth tool would be usable.

Yes, the sculpt smooth option does smooth the mesh nicely, but when I go back to paint mode, the layers that I want to smooth (specifically the normal map), are not affected.

How do I detail layers above zero & use the sculpt smoothing to smooth the depth/normals on those layers?

Is there no way to do this?