ajz3d

12th Challenge - A scene from a classic fairy tal  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 12 Winner

• Benk
    • Blaster

• Contributor

Challenge #12: A scene from a classic fairy tale

Sculpt, texture and render at least two humanoid characters (preferably human) interacting with each other and originating from a classic fairy tale of your choice. Characters must be presented in a scene characteristic for a chosen tale, making it easily recognisable.
Both characters must wear clothes that are appropriate for the time the tale is set in.
The scene might be a in a form of a single sculpture, multiple sculptures, statue, small diorama (just remember that the characters are the main focus - don't make them too small in contrast to the scenery), etc. It can be photorealistic, semi-realistic, stylized or cartoony, you decide. It's the final effect that matters.

Goals
Practice the skill of storytelling with a static sculpture, but also sculpting clothing, situational dynamic and interaction between people.
Capture the magic of old fairy tales.

Rules
- Provide the title and author/collector of the fairy tale.

- Post frequent WIPs.
- The scene must depict at least two humanoids (preferably humans, but anthropomorphic animals are allowed too) interacting with each other.
- Non-humanoid creatures are allowed in the scene only if there are already two humanoid characters present.
- All styles are welcome, but avoid mimicking Disney's if you decide to create a stylized or cartoony characters - try to come up with your own unique style.
- Modern re-imaginings of fairy tales are disallowed. For example: no Little Match Girl in modern New York, etc.
- You can pose the characters in a software of your choice.
- Everything must be sculpted in 3D-Coat. You can use 3rd party software for creation of base shapes of some objects, just be sure not to overuse it.
- Main characters must wear clothes. Clothing must be adequate to the historical period the fairy tale is set in.
- Clothing must not be simulated in a 3rd party software. It must be created entirely in 3D-Coat.
- Full armour (entirely covering a character) is disallowed for the two main characters. Limited armour is allowed, but only if the ratio of clothes to armour is greatly in favour of clothes (e.g. a prince wearing a steel pauldron). If you have more than two characters in the scene, additional characters can wear anything.
- Scene can consist of any number of objects.
- Textures must be created in 3D-Coat, but you can use a 3rd party painting applications for projection painting if you want to.
- Fur systems are allowed if you need to use them for hair or foliage.
- You can use any render engine available to render your final image.
- You can use matte painting to create a background plate, but it might be only utilized to provide a distant background for the rest of the sculpted scenery.
- Postproduction is allowed within a common sense. Use it for retouching, post effects, VFX and colour correction.
- Use a reasonably large resolution for the final image.

---

Some of the most notable fairy tales collectors: Madame d'Aulnoy, Charles Perrault, Hans Christian Andersen, Brothers Grimm. Longer list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Collectors_of_fairy_tales

Most of the tales are available online.
A good selection of free electronic versions of fairy tales:
Andrew Lang's Fairy Books: http://www.mythfolklore.net/andrewlang/index.htm
Charles Perrault's Mother Goose Tales: http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/perrault.html
Hans Christian Andersen: http://www.hca.gilead.org.il/#list
Grimm Brothers: http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm.html

Deadline: 2015-12-06, 23:59 GMT

Edited by carlosan
  • Like 3

• Contributor

If i find time of course.

It needs a lot of time to get a quality result.

On the other hand it will be a great piece of work for anyone's portfolio....

• Contributor

Great challenge,

im personally would take on Rumpelstiltskin, but too bad i cannot join the game, due to the rules. :)

Maybe i will do it in my own WIP in parallel 

Hi Chingchong. Which one of the rules prevents you from participating in the challenge?

• Advanced Member

Hi Chingchong. Which one of the rules prevents you from participating in the challenge?

the rules are fine, no need to change.

its only me conflicting with the rules, because im exploring new pipeline for personal use and currently investing heavily in learning zBrush, so that i have limited time.

Basically,i would use 3DC for basic sculpting only, but detailing, posing with zBrush.

Cheers

• Contributor

the rules are fine, no need to change.

its only me conflicting with the rules, because im exploring new pipeline for personal use and currently investing heavily in learning zBrush, so that i have limited time.

Basically,i would use 3DC for basic sculpting only, but detailing, posing with zBrush.

Cheers

Ah, I see. Well, I don't think I can change the rule about sculpting exclusively in 3D-Coat because the challenge is already pretty open in terms of software that you can use. If I were to change this point then the challenge probably wouldn't be a 3DC-one any more, as virtually any software could be used to accomplish the goal. I'd have to ask some forum authorities about this.

But, you can use any software that you wish to pose your characters, including ZBrush if you like to. Maybe, if you are into ZBrush now, you could treat the challenge as a good opportunity of gaining more practice in posing characters with this program?

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

Ah, I see. Well, I don't think I can change the rule about sculpting exclusively in 3D-Coat because the challenge is already pretty open in terms of software that you can use. If I were to change this point then the challenge probably wouldn't be a 3DC-one any more, as virtually any software could be used to accomplish the goal. I'd have to ask some forum authorities about this.

But, you can use any software that you wish to pose your characters, including ZBrush if you like to. Maybe, if you are into ZBrush now, you could treat the challenge as a good opportunity of gaining more practice in posing characters with this program?

I will try it the other way, building some basemeshes with zModeler (for learning, i' know 3DC would do it also) and going for sculpting with 3DC so far as i get. 

• Like 1

• Contributor

I will try it the other way, building some basemeshes with zModeler (for learning, i' know 3DC would do it also) and going for sculpting with 3DC so far as i get. 

Excellent decision, Chingchong!

some rough sketches  in 3DC  for the heads of the two characters

And an even better start. The characters already start to look good! :)

Which part of the tale you will be doing?

I am glad that you have joined the challenge. :good2:

• Advanced Member

Excellent decision, Chingchong!

And an even better start. The characters already start to look good! :)

Which part of the tale you will be doing?

I am glad that you have joined the challenge. :good2:

not sure yet,

i think i will do a scence, when Rumpelstilzchen spins the gold with the spinning wheel, leaving a stunned maiden

• Like 1

Hi everybody and congrats for the hard and nice work so far.

O.K. I'm very scared to enter this challenge since it's going to be really hard. but ok, I'll do the "puss in boots" or "master cat" from Charles Perrault. I've decided to take my inspiration form this picture from Gustave doré.

chat-botte_12.jpg

I'm not sure yet what to work first on though. Lot of components here plus i want to give it a stylised feel... More to come asap ;)

so, i'll take lot of liberties with gustave dore's picture btw. 

Trying the cloth simulation of 3d coat. I wasn't even aware of this feature :p

1444817738-wip-1-cloth-simulation-on-ogr

Edited by traumwelt
  • Like 2

so, i tried to edit the previous post but couldn't. here is another shot at what i'm doing at the moment ; roughing the stage. Honestly i don't even know what i'm doing :s. I do have an idea of how to proceed but lot of things i'll hopefully find as i work.

1444820872-roughing.jpg

and no, this is not the cat ^^.

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

he looks cool and evilish ... Nice work

thanks, glad that the intent is clear :)

here is an update on  the woman in the scene, messed up the posing of ther arms. cut them off in frustration ...grrr

post-9328-0-79426800-1444943305_thumb.jp

post-9328-0-41433500-1444943738_thumb.jp

@ ajz3D: is it allowed to  get basic meshes for arm from other programs? if so i would go for makehuman or  Daz,  pose the arms there an import in 3DC.

Edited by chingchong
  • Like 1

• Contributor

@ ajz3D: is it allowed to  get basic meshes for arm from other programs? if so i would go for makehuman or  Daz,  pose the arms there an import in 3DC.

- Everything must be sculpted in 3D-Coat. You can use 3rd party software for creation of base shapes of some objects, just be sure not to overuse it.

So yes, they're allowed as long as they still leave you with plenty of things to sculpt on them. ;) Just don't start importing whole characters from DAZ or Makehuman. :)

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

thanks ajz3d, 

here is an update, thought it would speed up my scene, but  wasnt even easy to import the arms into 3dcoat, after long  fiddling with the export/ import of DAZ and 3DC it finally worked somehow.

Relearning 3DC now, lol,  after being  abstinent almost a year now, due to extensive renovation of my house.

ok did some more refinement sketches on the expression, to determine how to proceed.

post-9328-0-68875300-1445034845_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

This challenge is definitely out of my comfort zone. So in an attempt to expand my abilities I will give it a shot.

I am going to try a scene from Cocteau's film "La Belle et La Bette". Not especially consistent with the rules as my effort will be derived from Cocteau's work and not the original tale (I am fine if it disqualifies me).

At any rate here is my start blocking a few elements in.

bk

post-38932-0-44667800-1445484495_thumb.p

• Like 3

• Contributor

I am going to try a scene from Cocteau's film "La Belle et La Bette". Not especially consistent with the rules as my effort will be derived from Cocteau's work and not the original tale (I am fine if it disqualifies me).

I don't see any problems with it and it won't disqualify you. :) The Cocteau's "La Belle et La Bette" is from 1946 so it's probably one of the earliest film adaptations of fairy tales - not spoiled or twisted by the modern times.

I'm happy that you have joined the challenge. The scene you're creating looks very promising and already resembles the one from the film. :)

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback Michael and traumwelt, and for the ruling ajz3d. I am forging ahead with modeling some of the set decor. Got a start on the fireplace. Will probably limit the modeling to what might appear in camera on a render. Taking a huge amount of time but am learning about hard surface modeling in 3dc.

bk

post-38932-0-98363500-1445806704_thumb.p

• Like 2