12th Challenge: A scene from a classic fairy tale

ajz3d

12th Challenge - A scene from a classic fairy tal  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 12 Winner

• Benk
    • Blaster

• Contributor

Benk, may I make a humble suggestion to rotate 180-degrees each one of the duplicates of marked objects, because they look like they were repeated?

post-12523-0-99133300-1445811573_thumb.j

Great work BTW, you raised the bar of the challenge.

PS. To @all: Remember that you can use base meshes modelled in a 3rd party software for some of your objects. If you feel that a certain shape is not easy to create from scratch in 3D-Coat, do take advantage of this rule. The most important factor of the challenge is to have fun after all. It would be cool if you could provide an information about a shape that you think is troublesome to do in 3DC as maybe it could lead to future improvement of the software.

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the suggestion ajz3d. I take your point but I don't think it will be an issue as I do not expect those repeats to be especially visible in the final scene as I expect other objects will obscure them. Right now I am concentrating on just getting the basic volume of set pieces together and will tweak as I set up for render. I also do anticipate trying to render the scene with some volumetrics and maybe some fog/smoke thrown in, so am not sure if much of the fireplace will be all that visible. This is truly going to be a "smoke and mirrors" type project; a good test to see if I can fake some things (although I have no experience with that sort of thing).

bk

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Just to see how see how things might be looking in camera. Everything is rough with redundant meshes. I expect to render this in black and white with respect to the original film.

bk

post-38932-0-15028800-1445821209_thumb.p

• Like 2

• Contributor

Ah, this is getting better and better. Are you planning to populate the table according to the film's props?

PS. You were right, the objects that I indicated are barely visible and the repeating pattern is nowhere to be observed.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Sorry , got too many projects this period.

I am hoping for a release that improves the speed of painting as i have a looooottttt of painting and retopo to do.

I really enjoy this challenge by the way , even if i only have to  peek lol.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Yep I plan on getting as much stuff on the table as I can stand to do. Clearly a lot more modeling to come.

Here is a quick test with Blender cycles to see how candle lights and a path tracer might work.

Hope others will give this challenge a try (Michael I think the winner's badge is calling your name).

bk

post-38932-0-51211500-1445824219_thumb.p

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Here is a hair test for the beast.

bk

post-38932-0-32685500-1446003506_thumb.p

• Like 3

wow ! awesome ! I won't repeat that "you raises the bar on this challenge" because i find it rude to say that regarding the work of the others, but it's pretty good. I'm frustrated anyway so i don't think i'll continue since when i participated the bar was low and i have more interesting things to do on my part  :D...

... or not ^^

lol

Edited by traumwelt
  • Like 1

• Contributor

wow ! awesome ! I won't repeat that "you raises the bar on this challenge" because i find it rude to say that regarding the work of the others, but it's pretty good. I'm frustrated anyway so i don't think i'll continue since when i participated the bar was low and i have more interesting things to do on my part  :D...

... or not ^^

lol

Traumwelt, I really hope you are not serious. Your resignation would be a great loss for the challenge!

The ogre you began sculpting looks very promising and it shows that you have skill in your hands. And yet you want to quit? Don't do it!

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

... or not ^^

lol

i dont think that a bar or whatever should demotivate you,

its just a personal practise for you then,  to overcome technical problems or shortcomings of 3DC with workarounds and other apps. [ ;)]

You can also simplifiy your scene (more to your comfort zone), but improve the remaining models even more.

btw:  its very clear, that itwasnt the cat ;)

Auf gehts

Edited by chingchong
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Please do continue traumwelt. I am sure you have a great chance at winning this challenge. We all have our own learning issues to deal with and this challenge is serving up plenty for me to deal with. My work is unoriginal and whatever strength it has thus far is due to Cocteau and not me.

Continue, continue, continue.

bk

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Here is a test render with some more set dressing. More to come along with a bunch of work on clothing and hair.

bk

post-38932-0-46045100-1446176094_thumb.p

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Here is a render with a bit more.

bk

post-38932-0-73294500-1446429669_thumb.p

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

and a bit more.....

Michael I noticed the deadline is extended. Are you ready to jump in?

post-38932-0-95975300-1446676312_thumb.p

• Like 2

I happen to be doing something similar to this challenge by making some characters from Alice in Wonderland.  However I need to make them animateable. . not just sculpts. . so  I won't meet the deadline.  However I could post some WIP on characters.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Here is a little more.

bk

post-38932-0-25637100-1446869393_thumb.p

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

Alot more should be done on this but I am weary of it so I will call this my FINAL. Looking forward to what others submit.

bk

post-38932-0-85971800-1446936044_thumb.p

• Like 3

• Contributor

Excellent, Benk. So many assets, especially on the table, and the reaction of the girl towards the Beast is awesome. Just like in Cocteau's film. Good job. :)

But what about the other contributors? Come on guys, there are 20 days left to the final date. Still plenty of time, but the clock is ticking. You've made some great characters so why stop now!? ChingChong, Traumwelt, come on! Bring some colours to fairy tales' world to counter Benk's work! :)

Daniel, what about your scene from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. It is a novel, not a fairy tale, but considering how surprisingly few competitors have entered the challenge, I think rules can be bent a little to allow the entry for scenes based on this novel as well. Of course only if all of the participants would agree to it, and as long as all of the other rules would be respected. The challenge must be fair for all.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the comments ajz3d and Michael. I second your call for participants ajz3d. This is a tough challenge (certainly for me) but I am sure it plays right into the strengths of many users (or in my case my weaknesses).

Lets see more work!

bk

• Like 1

• Contributor

I kept looking at the woman from your render and I must say I simply love how she shows the beast how much she "appreciates" his courtship. :rofl:

By the way, I found this particular video where the French soundtrack of the Cocteau's film was replaced by a soundtrack from Philip Glass's opera. The video also contains English subtitles so we can now understand what the Beast is saying to the girl while she shows him that the most important thing to her are her own clean nails. :)

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

WTF? :rofl:

Obviously visually based on Cocteau's work:

Reversed camera angle @2:29:

ACT III:

Generally speaking it would be quite entertaining if it wasn't the:

And I do Wal-Mart runs every Thursday

(ACT II @3:56)

and other references to modern times which pretty much destroyed the translation and the whole "rendition" for me.

Hopefully there isn't a Minecraft version of the Opera yet. :)

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

NIce references ajz3d. I think you can find a bunch of folks have lifted from Cocteau over the years in many media. Definitely see it in the Disney versions. I think even the current version has aped many elements from Cocteau's film.

Isn't someone on the film a relative of Renoir? Or is that just my imagination? For some reason that possibility has stuck in my head.

At any rate thanks for posting the video so the community can see what the real art looks like.

bk

Hi all I'm a new 3d coat user here and I am working on Jack and the beanstalk for the challenge.  I figured this would be a good way to learn the software and get involved with the community. So far I have roughed in Jack, The Golden Harp, and The Goose.  I'm currently working on the Giant and will post some pics of him soon.  Keep up the good work everyone. 

I have 9 days left on my trial for 3d coat so I will try and get as much finished as I can before the trial license runs out.  Does anyone know if you can get an extension for the license? 

post-39822-0-54950200-1447140271_thumb.p

• Like 2