12th Challenge: A scene from a classic fairy tale

ajz3d

12th Challenge - A scene from a classic fairy tal  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 12 Winner

• Benk
    • Blaster

• Contributor

Hi all I'm a new 3d coat user here and I am working on Jack and the beanstalk for the challenge.  I figured this would be a good way to learn the software and get involved with the community. So far I have roughed in Jack, The Golden Harp, and The Goose.  I'm currently working on the Giant and will post some pics of him soon.  Keep up the good work everyone. 

I have 9 days left on my trial for 3d coat so I will try and get as much finished as I can before the trial license runs out.  Does anyone know if you can get an extension for the license? 

You can always buy the EDU version and update later , at least this is what i did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

As usual I find these challenges when they're just about over, or I have no spare time :)

What is the latest on the deadline for this one? Got a few ideas and would still be nice to have a go. I'm also thinking about maybe an Oscar Wilde fairy tale... Classic enough?

• Like 1

• Contributor

Honestly, I have never heard about Oscar Wilde's fairy tales. He's a well known author, but I'd never suspect him of writing this kind of literature.

Anyway, the deadline is very close now (5 days left) , would you finish your work if the deadline was extended by, say, a week? This would give you 12 days. The final render doesn't have to be photorealistic. It only needs to meet the rules of the challenge. :)

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Try 'The Nightingale and the Rose' for a taste of Oscar's fairy tales. It makes my insides ache...

Will do!

I'm not sure yet what I can fit in this week, so don't extend the deadline on my behalf. Thanks for replying, and good luck to all.

Are you sure about this? Maybe we could stretch the deadline a few days beyond said week...

Jack and the beanstalk Update. 

I could definitely use some more time on this. If we can stretch the deadline that would be great.  Things I need to fix include

deformation issues

Finish baking the normal and occlusion for the Goose, Beanstalk, and Harp.

Populate the beanstalk with leafs using instancing.

paint and light model. 

post-39822-0-52731800-1448884046_thumb.j

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words everyone!  I bought the EDU license during the course of the challenge.  Looking forward to doing more challenges moving forward.  Could I suggest a future challenge involving vintage toys.  I think it would be fun to do an old rusty metal toy with some PBR materials.  

• Like 2

• Contributor

Hi guys!
I'm terribly sorry for having to keep you waiting, but I had a sh**load of work during the last days, so I could only briefly pop-in the forums from time to time in order to see what was going on.

To answer your question Carlos, only Blaster and Benk qualify for the final voting as the most important requirement of the challenge was to show some interaction between the two main characters. Which is a real pity, because I'm convinced that ChingChong's and Traumwelt's work, when finished, would look pretty damn awesome! Darn guys, I really hoped you would finish your scenes. :(

I like how completely different the work of the two finalists is. It's black and white versus colours. Dark and eerie mood versus cheerful and uplifting. Realistic versus stylized, etc... Excellent!

For me, the choice of the winner will be very hard as I equally like both contributions. And I like them so much, that I will probably need to throw a coin to decide where my vote would go. :)

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Congrats Blaster. Looking forward to seeing your start for the next challenge. Watch out for Michael as he is ready to take your badge!

bk

• Like 4