ajz3d

12th Challenge: A scene from a classic fairy tale

12th Challenge - A scene from a classic fairy tal  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 12 Winner

• Benk
    • Blaster

Great start Benk congrats.

I am going to try a scene from Cocteau's film "La Belle et La Bette". Not especially consistent with the rules as my effort will be derived from Cocteau's work and not the original tale (I am fine if it disqualifies me).

I don't see any problems with it and it won't disqualify you. :) The Cocteau's "La Belle et La Bette" is from 1946 so it's probably one of the earliest film adaptations of fairy tales - not spoiled or twisted by the modern times.

I'm happy that you have joined the challenge. The scene you're creating looks very promising and already resembles the one from the film. :)

Thanks for the feedback Michael and traumwelt, and for the ruling ajz3d. I am forging ahead with modeling some of the set decor. Got a start on the fireplace. Will probably limit the modeling to what might appear in camera on a render. Taking a huge amount of time but am learning about hard surface modeling in 3dc.

bk

post-38932-0-98363500-1445806704_thumb.p

• Like 2

Benk, may I make a humble suggestion to rotate 180-degrees each one of the duplicates of marked objects, because they look like they were repeated?

post-12523-0-99133300-1445811573_thumb.j

Great work BTW, you raised the bar of the challenge.

PS. To @all: Remember that you can use base meshes modelled in a 3rd party software for some of your objects. If you feel that a certain shape is not easy to create from scratch in 3D-Coat, do take advantage of this rule. The most important factor of the challenge is to have fun after all. It would be cool if you could provide an information about a shape that you think is troublesome to do in 3DC as maybe it could lead to future improvement of the software.

Edited by ajz3d

Thanks for the suggestion ajz3d. I take your point but I don't think it will be an issue as I do not expect those repeats to be especially visible in the final scene as I expect other objects will obscure them. Right now I am concentrating on just getting the basic volume of set pieces together and will tweak as I set up for render. I also do anticipate trying to render the scene with some volumetrics and maybe some fog/smoke thrown in, so am not sure if much of the fireplace will be all that visible. This is truly going to be a "smoke and mirrors" type project; a good test to see if I can fake some things (although I have no experience with that sort of thing).

bk

• Like 1

Just to see how see how things might be looking in camera. Everything is rough with redundant meshes. I expect to render this in black and white with respect to the original film.

bk

post-38932-0-15028800-1445821209_thumb.p

• Like 2

Ah, this is getting better and better. Are you planning to populate the table according to the film's props?

PS. You were right, the objects that I indicated are barely visible and the repeating pattern is nowhere to be observed.

Edited by ajz3d

Sorry , got too many projects this period.

I am hoping for a release that improves the speed of painting as i have a looooottttt of painting and retopo to do.

I really enjoy this challenge by the way , even if i only have to  peek lol.

• Like 1

Yep I plan on getting as much stuff on the table as I can stand to do. Clearly a lot more modeling to come.

Here is a quick test with Blender cycles to see how candle lights and a path tracer might work.

Hope others will give this challenge a try (Michael I think the winner's badge is calling your name).

bk

post-38932-0-51211500-1445824219_thumb.p

• Like 2

ahahahahahaah i can hear it......... o come on don't tempt me...... 

ahahahahahaah i can hear it......... o come on don't tempt me...... 

They all talk French in my version dammit. :(

• Like 1

ahaahahahahahahhahaha .

And i though i was going crazy..... even more ..... lol

• Like 1

Here is a hair test for the beast.

bk

post-38932-0-32685500-1446003506_thumb.p

• Like 3

wow ! awesome ! I won't repeat that "you raises the bar on this challenge" because i find it rude to say that regarding the work of the others, but it's pretty good. I'm frustrated anyway so i don't think i'll continue since when i participated the bar was low and i have more interesting things to do on my part  :D...

... or not ^^

lol

Edited by traumwelt
  • Like 1

wow ! awesome ! I won't repeat that "you raises the bar on this challenge" because i find it rude to say that regarding the work of the others, but it's pretty good. I'm frustrated anyway so i don't think i'll continue since when i participated the bar was low and i have more interesting things to do on my part  :D...

... or not ^^

lol

Traumwelt, I really hope you are not serious. Your resignation would be a great loss for the challenge!

The ogre you began sculpting looks very promising and it shows that you have skill in your hands. And yet you want to quit? Don't do it!

• Like 1

+1000

Do it and i will call you Traum for the rest of your life LOL ahahahahahahahaah

• Like 1

... or not ^^

lol

i dont think that a bar or whatever should demotivate you,

its just a personal practise for you then,  to overcome technical problems or shortcomings of 3DC with workarounds and other apps. [ ;)]

You can also simplifiy your scene (more to your comfort zone), but improve the remaining models even more.

btw:  its very clear, that itwasnt the cat ;)

Auf gehts

Edited by chingchong
  • Like 1

Please do continue traumwelt. I am sure you have a great chance at winning this challenge. We all have our own learning issues to deal with and this challenge is serving up plenty for me to deal with. My work is unoriginal and whatever strength it has thus far is due to Cocteau and not me.

Continue, continue, continue.

bk

• Like 1

Here is a test render with some more set dressing. More to come along with a bunch of work on clothing and hair.

bk

post-38932-0-46045100-1446176094_thumb.p

• Like 2

Here is a render with a bit more.

bk

post-38932-0-73294500-1446429669_thumb.p

• Like 2

and a bit more.....

Michael I noticed the deadline is extended. Are you ready to jump in?

post-38932-0-95975300-1446676312_thumb.p

• Like 2

I happen to be doing something similar to this challenge by making some characters from Alice in Wonderland.  However I need to make them animateable. . not just sculpts. . so  I won't meet the deadline.  However I could post some WIP on characters.

• Like 1