7 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 12 Winner

• Benk
    • Blaster

Here is a little more.

bk

post-38932-0-25637100-1446869393_thumb.p

• Like 3

Alot more should be done on this but I am weary of it so I will call this my FINAL. Looking forward to what others submit.

bk

post-38932-0-85971800-1446936044_thumb.p

• Like 3

Excellent, Benk. So many assets, especially on the table, and the reaction of the girl towards the Beast is awesome. Just like in Cocteau's film. Good job. :)

But what about the other contributors? Come on guys, there are 20 days left to the final date. Still plenty of time, but the clock is ticking. You've made some great characters so why stop now!? ChingChong, Traumwelt, come on! Bring some colours to fairy tales' world to counter Benk's work! :)

Daniel, what about your scene from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. It is a novel, not a fairy tale, but considering how surprisingly few competitors have entered the challenge, I think rules can be bent a little to allow the entry for scenes based on this novel as well. Of course only if all of the participants would agree to it, and as long as all of the other rules would be respected. The challenge must be fair for all.

Thanks for the comments ajz3d and Michael. I second your call for participants ajz3d. This is a tough challenge (certainly for me) but I am sure it plays right into the strengths of many users (or in my case my weaknesses).

Lets see more work!

bk

• Like 1

I kept looking at the woman from your render and I must say I simply love how she shows the beast how much she "appreciates" his courtship. :rofl:

By the way, I found this particular video where the French soundtrack of the Cocteau's film was replaced by a soundtrack from Philip Glass's opera. The video also contains English subtitles so we can now understand what the Beast is saying to the girl while she shows him that the most important thing to her are her own clean nails. :)

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

WTF? :rofl:

Obviously visually based on Cocteau's work:

Reversed camera angle @2:29:

ACT III:

Generally speaking it would be quite entertaining if it wasn't the:

And I do Wal-Mart runs every Thursday

(ACT II @3:56)

and other references to modern times which pretty much destroyed the translation and the whole "rendition" for me.

Hopefully there isn't a Minecraft version of the Opera yet. :)

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

NIce references ajz3d. I think you can find a bunch of folks have lifted from Cocteau over the years in many media. Definitely see it in the Disney versions. I think even the current version has aped many elements from Cocteau's film.

Isn't someone on the film a relative of Renoir? Or is that just my imagination? For some reason that possibility has stuck in my head.

At any rate thanks for posting the video so the community can see what the real art looks like.

bk

Hi all I'm a new 3d coat user here and I am working on Jack and the beanstalk for the challenge.  I figured this would be a good way to learn the software and get involved with the community. So far I have roughed in Jack, The Golden Harp, and The Goose.  I'm currently working on the Giant and will post some pics of him soon.  Keep up the good work everyone. 

I have 9 days left on my trial for 3d coat so I will try and get as much finished as I can before the trial license runs out.  Does anyone know if you can get an extension for the license? 

post-39822-0-54950200-1447140271_thumb.p

• Like 2

Hi all I'm a new 3d coat user here and I am working on Jack and the beanstalk for the challenge.  I figured this would be a good way to learn the software and get involved with the community. So far I have roughed in Jack, The Golden Harp, and The Goose.  I'm currently working on the Giant and will post some pics of him soon.  Keep up the good work everyone. 

I have 9 days left on my trial for 3d coat so I will try and get as much finished as I can before the trial license runs out.  Does anyone know if you can get an extension for the license? 

You can always buy the EDU version and update later , at least this is what i did.

Thanks I think I might buy soon. 3d coat is really easy to pick up and learn plus I love how its a one stop shop for modeling, retopo, and painting. It's not bulletproof but what software is. I'm very impressed and enjoying it so far.

• Like 1

Giant scupt update... I have Allot more to do on him but just thought I would update my progress.  I put the Jack,goose, and the harp in frame for scale refference.  

post-39822-0-11676700-1447299921_thumb.p

• Like 4

As usual I find these challenges when they're just about over, or I have no spare time :)

What is the latest on the deadline for this one? Got a few ideas and would still be nice to have a go. I'm also thinking about maybe an Oscar Wilde fairy tale... Classic enough?

• Like 1

Deadline: 2015-11-30, 23:59 GMT

Honestly, I have never heard about Oscar Wilde's fairy tales. He's a well known author, but I'd never suspect him of writing this kind of literature.

Anyway, the deadline is very close now (5 days left) , would you finish your work if the deadline was extended by, say, a week? This would give you 12 days. The final render doesn't have to be photorealistic. It only needs to meet the rules of the challenge. :)

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

Try 'The Nightingale and the Rose' for a taste of Oscar's fairy tales. It makes my insides ache...

I'm not sure yet what I can fit in this week, so don't extend the deadline on my behalf. Thanks for replying, and good luck to all.

• Like 1

Try 'The Nightingale and the Rose' for a taste of Oscar's fairy tales. It makes my insides ache...

Will do!

I'm not sure yet what I can fit in this week, so don't extend the deadline on my behalf. Thanks for replying, and good luck to all.

Are you sure about this? Maybe we could stretch the deadline a few days beyond said week...

Chingchong, Traumwelt, Blaster - any updates on your work? Do you guys need more time?

I have been working all day on this.  I will update before I go to bed.  I honestly could use another day if that's possible.  Do we have until the end of day Monday or tonight at Midnight?  I'm eastern standard time. 

//edit

deadline moved to day 30th

Jack and the beanstalk Update. 

I could definitely use some more time on this. If we can stretch the deadline that would be great.  Things I need to fix include

deformation issues

Finish baking the normal and occlusion for the Goose, Beanstalk, and Harp.

Populate the beanstalk with leafs using instancing.

paint and light model. 

post-39822-0-52731800-1448884046_thumb.j

• Like 3