3DCoat Forums

Exported Object from Sculpt is Fragmented and Partial

I have a 10.2 million triangles object in surface sculpting.  But when I export this object to LW object format, or indeed OBJ, or FBX, at a reduction of 50%, the object that I get in LW is not only around 189,000 polys (way less than what it should be), but also all I get are scattered individual polys.

Exporting works, of course - tried other objects, though not as big, and they're fine.  Any ideas please what might have caused this and importantly how to fix it?

Retopo is one rescue I guess, though arguably I shouldn't have - surely it should just export like any other object?

Two attached screengrabs show the overall sculpt, and the other a section of what I get in LW from the exported file.  I'll concede that doesn't warrant 10 million polys in the flatte areas, but this is still being worked on - exporting it being a part of that.

Thanks.

Julian.

post-1301-0-84919200-1444160367_thumb.jp

post-1301-0-00736600-1444160395_thumb.jp

Hi!

Could you please provide a little more info? These things would help:

Your OS

Build of 3DC you're using

Describe which method you're using to export the mesh

This will help me try to reproduce it, or at least narrow down the cause of your issue. Thanks!

It's version 4.5.16(CUDA)(GL64), running on Win 10 Pro 64bit.

The object is a surface sculpt, in the Sculpt Room, exported via the File-Export-Export Object command, and exported to a LWO primarily, though as I mentioned, I also tried OBJ and FBX - with the same result.

In the voxel tree, the density of voxels to the original is 0.2 - may or may not be relevant.

The original object from LW is 638,392 polys.  I just took that into the Sculpt Room, then exported it via the above route, at 0% reduction, and it worked fine.

I then used Res+ on it once, giving 2,553,568 polys - that also exported fine.

An additional Res+ took it to the 10,214,272 polys, which has exported, again with 0% reduction.

However, if I export this again, with 50% reduction, I get that fragmented thing happening.

So it seems like it's something to do with the reduction at export time.

Thanks Michael - actually I did try voxelizing before posting the question, but if you look at the attached, you'll see what switching from S to V did to this model - the voxelized version was 10 million polys or so, like the surface - I also tried 20 million - got the exact same result.  Unless I'm missing something.

post-1301-0-56126500-1444204609_thumb.jp

post-1301-0-58806100-1444204616_thumb.jp

Thanks for the info! :)

I'm not able to reproduce the bug. Could you perhaps zip up your file and send it to me? It might be something with the file specifically. If it doesn't happen to me with your file, then it's safe to say something is up with your configs.

In fact, maybe just trying with fresh configs will probably work. They reside in your 3DC user folder and say "Options" and have .XML extensions. Back them up before deleting them.

Javis - shall I send the file, and if so, where to exactly?

Thanks.

Hi! If you could PM it to me that would be great. Dropbox or Google Drive work well if you need a file host. Hope I can help solve the issue. :)