3DCoat Forums

A ? about normal maps

riverdog

Go to solution Solved by riverdog,

I want to use 3dcoat to generate normal maps. I have been able to sculpt a high poly mesh, retopo it to a low poly mesh, bake the normals, color, depth, etc. My question is where are these maps. I want to use these maps in blender and unreal engine, but I cant seem to find them anywhere. Or find a way to save them to someplace. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I want to use 3dcoat to generate normal maps. I have been able to sculpt a high poly mesh, retopo it to a low poly mesh, bake the normals, color, depth, etc. My question is where are these maps. I want to use these maps in blender and unreal engine, but I cant seem to find them anywhere. Or find a way to save them to someplace. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Mike

> retopo it to a low poly mesh

How to do that?

• Contributor

> 3DCoat can not handle "too many polygon"?!

I have found this statement to be surprising too, as 3D-Coat can handle very high poly counts. Maybe what the tutor had in mind is that having a high density reference mesh can decrease snapping performance in the retopo room. But even this is very smooth (on average PC builds) on meshes of density much higher than what his original sculpture is at (1M). Unless of course one prefers working with Snap to Nearest method, which is very demanding.

• Like 1

I have found this statement to be surprising too, as 3D-Coat can handle very high poly counts. Maybe what the tutor had in mind is that having a high density reference mesh can decrease snapping performance in the retopo room. But even this is very smooth (on average PC builds) on meshes of density much higher than what his original sculpture is at (1M). Unless of course one prefers working with Snap to Nearest method, which is very demanding.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18396

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18401