3DCoat Forums

Import multiple meshes

AlbionWizard

Go to solution Solved by Malo,

Hi guys!

Im creating a world i Unreal 4.

I am in the process of texturing a series of buildings. Each building have been separated in different meshes for the sake of having high resolution in 2048 texture sizes. I have combined the building parts in groups in Maya.

Now I am curious how I can import multiple meshes in 3D coat, because it seems to be only one combined mesh. What is your workaround?

Thanks for any advice.

• Contributor
  • Solution

If i remember correctly give your objects individual materials and export it as obj or fbx.

Then import it in 3d coat.

At the start up, you have the option to change resolution for each extra material group.

It is not a big deal to work with multible objects in 3d coat.

• Reputable Contributor

You might need this information as well...

Maya uses Multi-tiled uvs... 3DC does not internally support this type of uvs. Andrew though has created a way for you to use them inside of 3DC.

In the import dialog box choose "import tiles as uv sets" 3DC will create each uv tile as it's own uv set and then upon export put them back into the UV tiled format.

Now you can paint each uv set in the paint room.

You can not though adjust the Uvs in the UV room as they will stacked on top of each other. Make sure you are happy with your uvs in Maya before exporting your model to 3DC. 

I do not use Maya so I can not tell you how well it works, another Maya -3DC user would have to do that...

Edited by digman