3DCoat Forums

Moving to a new computer

Ghastly

Go to solution Solved by Ghastly,

• Advanced Member

Hey guys! Long time no see. Hope everyone has been doing well. I've been a little too busy all summer long to indulge in my 3D passions but I just got a new laptop which is far more powerful than my old one and I've got a project in mind so I'll be getting back into 3D shortly.

I just have a few questions about the switch over process.

I assume I download and install 3D Coat on my new computer. Then uninstall the license on my old laptop. Then run 3D Coat on my new computer and install the license there, and if for any reason I need to switch back to my old computer I just uninstall the license on the new one and install it on the old one again. Is this correct?

With the license uninstalled does 3D Coat still work and just not save your files (sort of like a demo mode) or does it not function at all. I wonder because if I need to go back and look at how my preferences are set up on my old computer so I can duplicate them on my new one, can I just boot it and have it run just to take a peek at the preferences etc. or will I have to swap licenses each time?

Also which version of 3D Coat should I be using on a laptop of an Nvida 940m Geforce video card? DX or GL?

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Oh, that's good to know. That shouldn't be a problem. Unless my new computer ends up in the shop or something I can't really imagine a situation where I'd want to run it on this old clunker anyway. :D

So GL or DX? Is one better than the other?

• Advanced Member

Thanks a tonne!

I can't wait to see what this program can do when I'm running it on a machine with 16gb of ram (my old laptop was only 4gb). I am giddy with anticipation.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
  • Solution

Before I installed the software on my new machine I copied all the files from my /user/documents/ folder to the new computer. When I installed 3D coat it defaulted to the way I had everything set up on my old machine. AWESOME!!! No worries about things not being exactly the way I like them! And boy does it ever run a lot better too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...