3DCoat Forums

sample tool, strange behavior (paint room)

ozukaru

Go to solution Solved by digman,

• Advanced Member

When using the sample tool (paint room) to pick the depth of a given point in the surface it varies if I sample again with a different radius (tool's radius), why?   even with a very small radius (that does not overlap different depth surface points) the result varies with different radius of the tool. btw the smaller the radius the bigger the depth... 

Can anybody explain this? Im using 4.5.19 Cuda Thanks.

Edit: "pick from central point"  does not helps

Edited by ozukaru

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

I understood right way from your first post but the gif helps... I had to do some test.

The brush radius size always effects depth unless you lock it.  The larger you increase the brush radius from it's original depth selection the higher the depth will be, the smaller the radius the less depth there will be.

Now how does this work with the depth selection when using the Sampler tool.

First: Use the V key and do not select the Eyedropper icon (Sampler tool)... if you use the Eyedropper icon when you switch back to your brush, you lose your depth selection. Yes this part needs to be fixed, it should transfer over to your paint brush regardless of radius when switching back but I think that would take some deeper coding...

EXAMPLE:

Say you painted an area to a certain depth but now need the same depth in that area but the brush radius needs to be smaller to finish painting in that area. You use the depth picker in the Sampler tool to select the depth and of course since the brush radius is smaller it has to increase the depth amount to match the depth your are picking (remember what I talked about at the beginning of the post about brush radius and depth). 

You can do the same thing by picking a certain brush radius and depth value and then locking the depth... As your brush radius gets smaller or larger the depth value changes according. This takes careful planning though to remember your settings if having to work more in the same area later.

This appears to more of a feature than a bug I would say. Imagine painting on a model then needing to fill in some areas later, it would be quess work on figuring out the exact brush radius and depth to match that area.

Also as side note, select or deselect "additive painting" under the depth icon according to your need.

If you have some suggestions for the tool, then by all means put in a feature request...

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Well, thanks.

I think that (from what I understood of your post (but I'll re-read it, english is not my first language)) the only feature request is as simple as that the tool works as should work, that is "if 'pick from central point' is checked then the radius should'n matter, always for a given point should be the same depth" 

Should I post that in "trello"?

btw it says "fromt" instead of "from"

• Reputable Contributor

I can reasons for having both ways, depending upon your what your needs are atm.  Maybe a check box if you want the radius size to not factor into the equation. The ability to turn it off or on as needed.

Post a feature request if you so desire...

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

I still see it more than a fix than a new feature... as you point before is not common sense asking the user to be taking notes about the radius used to afterwards be able the get the same depth, it would be easy for the user!!!  it would work out of the box! 

Edited by ozukaru