3DCoat Forums
Keeks

LightWave Applink

yes, it should

Styler, I don't know about the LW applink, currently, but with the  3ds Max Applink, Polyhertz has implemented some Material presets with PBR map outputs pretty much already set up for the user, so there is no confusion how to use PBR Materials in 3D Coat in one's 3D app. Maybe something similar for LW users would be very welcome, as a lot of LW users have licenses of 3D Coat.

It appears in most 3D render engines, the workflow is Gloss/Spec Color. Here is the typical layout

1) 3D Coat map (Color) > Material Channel (Diffuse/Color)

2) 3D Coat map (Spec Color) > Material Channel ( Reflection Color)

3) 3D Coat map (Glossiness) > Material Channel (Reflection Glossiness)

4) 3D Coat map (Normal Map) > Material Channel (Bump)

Would that be doable for the LW Applink?

Oh, and Volodya, the programmer who developed the 3D Coat > Unity plugin and the OpenCL AO baking in 3D Coat, showed that the Glossiness map will need some tweaking of the map curve. It's something the user will have to do manually, I suppose, but it might be nice to see....with the tight integration between LW and 3DC...if such adjustments can be pre-applied in a PBR material preset.

Maxreal is that direct link no need to manually plugin the nodes for pbr?

AppLink puts me textures in traditional channels, nodes puts me only the normal map

I don't have an access to nodes from LWPython. They didn't implement it yet. To make it work I need to rewrite it in C/C++, it's possible but i don't have a mac to compile and test mac version.

Source

post-10142-0-52238100-1452557316_thumb.j

djwaterman:
Well I've really experimented every which way now, I have also tried out the carpaint node, but after a number of tests I think this is the best way for me, being it closely matches the material I designed in 3DCoat and it is the fastest to render.

It's also not hiding any complex node structures so I know exactly what's going on, I think so anyway.

This set up gives me the same look as the one I had with car paint but without the longer render times.

post-10142-0-95965600-1452557103_thumb.j

Sorry for newbie question but does this work for LWModeler <-----> 3DCoat ? I need to do some retopo work and i need some modeling operations i need to go back and forth between modeler and 3DC. Does that work with applink or just Layout <----> 3DCoat ?

Thanks

Hoping for some LW2018 3d Coat applink love.  Have back home to LW like a long lost dog but new to 3D coat (Zbrusher from early on),  would like a nice workflow without a big hackathon to get stuff done so I can pump up the workflow to everyone.  Best regards.

Hi, just thought I would follow up that I found that older LWO files will load into 3dcoat (not using the applink). I have had no luck importing 2018 lightwave objects at all, ( In fact, I have had trouble with FBX and OBJ exported from LW as well).  If there is another thread for LW workflows I cannot find it and would love a pointer.  Regards

LW 2018 has been working well for me. Would love it if I didn't have to fuss so much with exporting from 3dC though.

That is to say, I wish I didn't have to re-apply the textures. It's not the end of the world the way it is now, but it would save a lot of time to have an export to LW 2018 nodes supported in 3dC.

Edited by Klane

for now, this seems alright >

(if you already have OD ToolSet that is, kinda pricey if you want the PBRimporter only)
(however, ODT is dang nice, so something to consider)