3D Coat Forums
Keeks

LightWave Applink

Do you think 3dCoat will get updated to work with 2018 lwo file formats?? Currently having to export them as 2015 objects, but ideally it would be cool if 2018 could be supported, along with its new PBR shader.

As far as I can tell, Python now fully supports writing materials etc. As that's how Oliver Hotz does his plugins.

Thanks guys!

Tim

On 2/1/2018 at 8:20 AM, lardbros said:

Do you think 3dCoat will get updated to work with 2018 lwo file formats?? Currently having to export them as 2015 objects, but ideally it would be cool if 2018 could be supported, along with its new PBR shader.

As far as I can tell, Python now fully supports writing materials etc. As that's how Oliver Hotz does his plugins.

Thanks guys!

Tim

I hope so to Tim.

15 hours ago, splinetime said:

No.... It feels orphaned.

Lightwave itself, seemed/seems orphaned, so there is that. :D Nothing wrong with asking, but if they broke the file format, it might be a while til a 3rd party developer steps up.

On 2/1/2018 at 7:20 AM, lardbros said:

Thanks guys!

Tim

Anything broken when exporting them as OBJ's like all the other applinks do?

I'm currently working on an update for LW applink. I believe that this will be done soon-ish.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Styler said:

I'm currently working on an update for LW applink. I believe that this will be done soon-ish.

Great news... Thank you. 

Do you know if this will mean the new lwo format will be supported too? 

I'm updating LW part. Since Coat cannot handle LWO 2018 I'll be using different file formats for sending data between apps.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 10:14 AM, Styler said:

I'm updating LW part. Since Coat cannot handle LWO 2018 I'll be using different file formats for sending data between apps.

Thanks a lot !

Good to see a new AppLink for 3DCoat and Lightwave 2018 !!!
This will be really helpful !

Hopefully LWO 2018 format will be supported natively in 3Dcoat since PBR arrived in Lightwave and it makes so much sense now.

Thank you for finding a way of roundtripping between the Apps by now.

Excellent !!!

Regards,

Marcus

On 4/5/2018 at 1:14 AM, Styler said:

Really looking forward to this !

Exporting a 2015 LW model to get it into 3dC, ... then bringing it back in to LW, ... and setting up and monkeying with the surface nodes gets pretty time consuming.

Sorry guys. I'll will not able to finish a new applink due to complexity and time that I need to spend with it. Too much work for me, besides my primary job. If someone is interested to continue I can provide the source code and instructions how to accomplished it.

Sad to hear but understandable.  Perhaps you could post a quick note on the Newtek Lightwave forum and let them know there as well.  Maybe that'll flush someone out that can continue.

Here is a brief explanation.

All previous applinks used material slots and that was quite easy to do because we have access to this part through scripting language or lwsdk. Somebody can say "Dude.. But we have node editor and many cool nodes! Why don't you make shaders using this approach?!". I have to say this is a first thing I'd do,  especially in LW 2018 where legacy materials give you a bounded potential. Sounds good in theory, but the access to nodes is heavily limited in lwsdk. Even in LW 2018! You can write and compile your own nodes as additional plugins, and later use them in NodeEditor, but there is no way to create a simple node from script or code, only manually. From the developer perspective a node is just a black box, which does some magic stuff. I spent a lot of time trying to get access through different hacks, but apparently it's not possible. The only one way that I could see is writing your own LWO parser and override information directly in lw object files. This is a pretty big task and require a lot of patience and time. Beside that not every LWO chunk has a description in the sdk documentation. If you still interested please try =), it's pure fun!

Edited by Styler

Can you put the code up in GitHub or some equivalent location?  Otherwise, what license would apply, and how do we obtain the source code?

I can't make any promises, but there's a fairly decent chance someone will finish the AppLink for LW2018.

• Like 1