3DCoat Forums

3dcoat/blender applink

riverdog

Go to solution Solved by digman,

• Reputable Contributor

Blender 2.76 and 3DC beta 4.5.21

I do not normally use the applink, so I installed it in Blender under user preferences... I used the official  3DC applink that comes with Blender 2.76

Closed out Blender... Reopened Blender.

Opened 3DC, Chose the default cube for per pixel painting

Did some painting on it.

File menu / Export to / Blender

Saved the obj file, then chose the maps to export.

In Blender under the scene tab, I chose Update--Per Pixel Painting (Shown in picture)

The cube from 3DC was transferred to Blender and the color map applied... I had Blender Render chosen and not Cycles under which rendering engine to use. I then can switch to Cycles and attach the color map through the node system.

That was the process... How well the applink works in all situations, I can not tell you but It work for PPP straight out of the box... I only went one way from 3DC to Blender... I might make some test on other areas of the applink but no promises...

post-518-0-13704100-1447289225_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

And there is another feedback in this thread

You have to be careful in reading that thread as there are two different 3DC applinks for Blender. It appears when using Blender 2.76 official applink and 3DC 4.5.21 version there is no need to set exchange folders... I did not have to...  Try the simple method first in your version of Blender and 3DC, move on from there if necessary...

• Advanced Member

Hey Digman  I agree having 2 different app-links is confusing . I am using blender 2.76b and 3dcoat 4.5.03  also I have  ( SIMPLE App-LINK  0.3.2) so I don't know about 3Dcoat ver 4.5.21 my ? is the part when you go to  FILE MENU>Export To > Blender    .It is here that you see this in the drop down ? ( or you are telling what you did saved obj. file in the exchange folder ?  ) in 4.5.03 I do not have it also if you do have it did you 1st have to send something from blender to 3Dcoat first? I am on Win 8.1.   FYI  when I installed the other app-link  (Simple 3Dcoat app-link ver 0.3.2)  I had to load it /add it outsde of the blender app itself meaning going to my C: drive >program files >blender foundation>blender>2.76>scripts>addons  I  did a copy and paste there. then started up blender user pref > addons> enabeled SIMPLE 3dcoat Add-On>in addons > and set the Exchange Folder : 3Dcoat v4.5/exchange .save it on the bottom .  restart blender  then open up 3Dcoat   I 1st have to send something over to 3dcoat from blender . Then in 3dcoat in ppp  I see my model . under File I will Only Then see > Open in Orginal App  and use this it works great for me both ways.   I did not try the original applink that comes with blender 2.76 .  1 Last thing in blender make sure you have your model selected then hit Export objects.(the SIMPLE add-on has moved where it is in blender Tabs >TOOLS  on the left side.  why the 2nd app-link is named SIMPLE I don't know as it adds to the confusion sometimes as in( Try the simple method first in your version of blender) I get what your saying meaning try the Easy addon that comes with Blender NOT THE  SIMPLE 3DCOAT APP-LINK. .hope this helps riverdog been there done that.

• Reputable Contributor

@ Ballistic_Tension...

No going to the exchange folder... When you chose "Export To" under the file menu and select Blender, saving for your obj appears plus then normal dialog box for saving your maps. 

I will do some test at sometime for how well the applink works but tied up atm...

This was going from 3DC to Blender first...

Having two applinks is no problem as long as you know which one your  working with and install it correctly.

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Ok, I did one test: This time going from Blender to 3DC first and back again to Blender.

I opened Blender, used the default sphere.

3DC was already open.

Transferred  it to 3DC through the applink... which opens the import dialog panel in 3DC, made my choice of map resolution. etc etc

Next did some painting on the sphere

Now, under the File menu, chose "Open in Original Application"

In Blender... clicked on the Update tab

Model in Blender was updated correctly... 

Again, these are simple test, deep testing not done...

Edited by digman