3DCoat Forums

[Fixed] This can't be normal (huge polygonal artifacts on the uv borders)

stuartullman

Sorry if this has been posted before.  I know that 3d coat has had issues with UV overlays/borders and I've been ok with them for the most part.  Recently our studio updated the 3d coat software, and now I'm getting this every time I paint on the UV borders:

http://i.imgur.com/bUD1Nnw.jpg

The sphere is mirrored and welded before importing into 3d coat.  All I did was paint in the middle of the mesh and this is what I get; pixelish colors with the triangles of the mesh visible.  Perhaps it's a setting that I need to check.  Any advice would be great.  

edit: Another thing: If I  paint in Texture Editor, the result is very smooth both in the texture editor and the viewport.  If I paint in the viewport, it's all pixelish in both views.  

• Reputable Contributor

Since that is a simple sphere, can you upload it here for others to looks at to see if we get the same problems...

What version did you upgrade from and what version are you using now of 3DC...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply  I don't think it's the UVs.. I know it was a quick UV setup(the top and bottom of the sphere weren't welded), but try to paint on the UV seam overlap.   I'm trying all the models I've worked on before, some of them I've worked on in previous versions of 3d coat and they were fine then, but now they're giving me this same problem.  The automatic UV would fix it since it gets rid of the seam. But That's the part that's causing the problem.  

• Like 1

• Contributor

In general there seems to be an issue other members re ported as well with painting right on or close to seems.

My answer was a temporary solution to your problem so you can work ;)

Like you correctly said --> The automatic UV would fix it since it gets rid of the seam. But That's the part that's causing the problem.

• Reputable Contributor

In such cases I recommend enabling symmetry. It will solve the problem.

It solves the problem on painting almost but does not solve the problem if you apply depth too.

If you show the seams in the Paint Room (Shift and the W key) You will see some vertical seams where there are none according to the UV room view.

Check the UV room and you can that 3DC does not show any seams there.

Hover your mouse cursor over the model in the UV room and look at the uv island preview, it is a tangled mess. Now in the uv-set preview the uv island looks fine. Now use the unwrap function and it it be upwrapped to the tangled mess.

I do not know if the problem is exporting from their 3D application or if 3DC is not reading the uv set correctly. I do not have enough information to judge one way or the other. Pictures included to show what I was talking about.

post-518-0-79868100-1447354298_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-19183400-1447354310_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

Symmetry doesn't do anything for me, especially considering that it's already painting symmetrically because it's mirrored UVs. 

We just did a test on a previous version of 3d Coat and none of these problems exist.  Painting is smooth.  This is only happening in 4.5.19 on seams that share the same overlapped UVs...  Also, I tried exporting from 3ds max as obj and fbx with same result.  

Edited by stuartullman

• Reputable Contributor

So 3DC is seeing the overlapping mirrored uv's but is not understanding it correctly, Possible the welding is causing it but did not in the past?

I would send to support a detailed report on your problem, software used etc, steps from a to z and see if Andrew can figure it out. If you are in the middle of a production project.

Andrew has in the past been good getting back to users. Let him know you need it quickly resolved because of your current production schedule.

Edited by digman

• Carlosan changed the title to [Fixed] This can't be normal (huge polygonal artifacts on the uv borders)