3DCoat Forums

Add image to object in paint room

barkest

Go to solution Solved by digman,

• Contributor

Greetings , 

you want to paint?

Kindly have a look at the tutorials in youtube (official 3D Coat channel) , it only takes maximum a couple hours and it will boost your knowledge.

Thank you,

I have been unable to work out if it is possible to add an external image to the object itself. So instead of painting I add an image to the texture map - sorry if my original post was confusing at all.

I can add an image via Photoshop and then I have the image on a layer in the paint room but I cannot manipulate that image.

So I wondered, after watching a lot of 3DC videos and also several tutorials that I bought from Udemy, if it is possible?

Michael, thanks for responding but I believed this to be a forum for newbies and that is why I posted after taking a lot of time to find out before I just asked. I would not want to waste your time as appreciate that some ppl just post without putting the hard yards in first.

thanks again

Thank you. I should have been a lot more specific. I have attached an image. 

I would like to be able to transform the stag image on the texture map but can't see how to do it in 3DC. So in the retopo I can select the island and use the gizmo on it and thought there might be something similar for the texture map in paint

thank you again

post-39758-0-18141900-1447688466_thumb.p

• Contributor

Thank you,

I have been unable to work out if it is possible to add an external image to the object itself. So instead of painting I add an image to the texture map - sorry if my original post was confusing at all.

I can add an image via Photoshop and then I have the image on a layer in the paint room but I cannot manipulate that image.

So I wondered, after watching a lot of 3DC videos and also several tutorials that I bought from Udemy, if it is possible?

Michael, thanks for responding but I believed this to be a forum for newbies and that is why I posted after taking a lot of time to find out before I just asked. I would not want to waste your time as appreciate that some ppl just post without putting the hard yards in first.

thanks again

You got me wrong here and this is not me at all.

I just did not understand what you wanted to do.

I suggested a walk through the tutorial so you can find what you need to do and show it to us so we can understand

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Check out this video on using the transform copy tool... 

Now the tool seems to slightly blur the image that you restamp with but you will just have to test for your use. 

In the tool's panel that pops up when you use it there is a setting for "Erase old position" It will copy the image off the mesh and erase the old position.

My one wish is that we could set the opacity to better see where we are placing the new image.

The above might not be the complete answer, but that is how in 3DC you can move an image you already placed.

In the video, on the far right is the tool panel for the transform and copy tool. AbnRanger likes to keep his tool panels parked instead of floating in a number of cases...

A note... If you use the tool to resize the image, it will become more blockly if your inlarge it. The tool only resizes. It does not resample... 

Look in the tool's panel and you will see you can edit the image in Photoshop. Do any resampling there...

Study the Transform Copy tool's dialog panel, to see all your available options.

You watched a number of tutorials, this one will help you get around 3DC's Youtube channel.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Thank you.

I think this is the closest and for now the best method for me is to learn how to create better texture maps (I suck but then its very new to me) which in turn will make things easier in Photoshop. The issue I have is texturing seamlessly from one island to the next so thought that putting the image into 3D would help.

thanks again

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Well darn, Do not know why I forgot the tool "image along a spline" as another one to test... This is for placing the image first and not moving a already stamped image.

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

barkest are you saying that that once you commit /hit enter  your image is there but now you would like to edit it /re select  or make it active agian ?  I am not sure you can get back to it and edit it same with the text tool. if you want to just change the color of it etc. .Its as if its set in stone... I could be wrong  and  I hope I am.  

• Reputable Contributor

@ballistic

In his first statement, yes that is what he was talking about...  The transform and copy tool image you can edit in photoshop by linking with Photoshop.

Thas was solution number one...

The image along a spline tool gives him the ability to place a image with more control.  No editing in photoshop here though.

Solution number two...

Another solution is keep your images on separate layers, a good policy and I would think be a standard to follow for editing purpose reqardless of which methods are used.

Ctrl +P to link the layer to photoshop. Now you you can edit the image in photoshop. Save the image and it will be updated in 3DC. This works best if the image does not cross a seam but is housed on one uv island.

Still another that is available is to Edit Projections in Ext, Editor or in other words it projects the 3D viewport to photoshop. Photoshop as more editing tools than 3DC...

The two new possible solutions I mentioned are for images that you are not going to reposition.

The transform copy tool, copies all 4  channels. color, height, roughness getting the metalness channel as well. This solution allows you to re-position the image and carry all the 4 channels with it.. It's drawback is, that it is subject to camera angle and curvature of the model. You can stretch the image. 

I am not covering here what all channels you can work on in which workflow except about the Transform and copy tool. Test and you shall see. 

Also, there is under the Layers menu / Export / Color...(PSD) You can just export the layer that the image in on, work on it and then re-import that layer. 

I do not use all the tools all the time... Sometimes, it takes my brain awhile to start to remember, more so when I've been a bad boy and stayed up too late... ;)

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Hey Digman  a big thank you for explaining this :rofl:  As I had given up on this subject/area of 3dc. I had posted on this in march with 147 looks and no replys  so just figured it was a dead end. I did watch all the videos but just kept looking in 3dc for that edit mode button then I would get frustrated :wacko: and would say why can I not do anything with this Text/Image after I hit enter where is the tool like in PS  . When PS was the answer the whole time. I had not set up my 2d editor _ PS link  . So again TY for taking your time to help.  I will now lift off the curse I gave 3dc on this ... simm simm alah bimm  .... it is done!   ( I use to live in  Ennis Texas east of dallas back in the 80s) I would always get scorpion bites and it was a dry town  I do miss the What a Burgers   lol

It would be great to be able to use the transform tool on the image on the uv island (texture map) and see it up date in real time on the 3D object in the paint room.

I have an enormous amount to learn and I am still new to this so the last thing for me to do would be to ask for new functionality (maybe when I am a seasoned pro in a few years).

thanks for all of the replies