3DCoat Forums

Furryball now among least expensive GPU renderers

AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

Less than a month ago, Furryball was over $600, and as such, was slightly higher than Octane render. But, the unique thing about FB is that when you buy a license, you get the plugin for all the other 3D apps it supports. So, you got the one for Maya, Max, and now C4D. However, they just dropped their price to roughly $385 USD, and the Black Friday sale at Motion Media, lists it at $325.

Anyone who uses Maya should take it for a spin, cause it's the only GPU render on the market that works with practically everything in Maya....Hair, SSS, Fluids/Smoke/Fire, and even Bifrost. And I don't just mean final production render. I mean the Interactive Render works with it, too. There isn't ANY native render nor plugin for Max, that does that. To use the GPU, you give up most of those things. Vray can't even use their RT module to preview render their PhoenixFD plugin.

This is pretty huge, as I'm getting sick of the limitations here or there, and it's why I'm looking at Furryball and migrating to Maya. I'm a big GPU render fan, but I'm ready to use something that just works without all the gotcha's. If you're a Maya user, check it out.

http://www.cgchannel.com/2015/11/aaa-studio-cuts-price-of-furryball-rt-by-40/

http://www.motionmedia.com/Black-Friday-Sales-2015-AAA-s/1946.htm

http://www.motionmedia.com/Black-Friday-Sales-2015-s/403.htm

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

my problem with furryball, is all the results always have a very weird 90's feel to them. even in their samples. and i couldn't shake that feel while making renders either.. :(

• Reputable Contributor

my problem with furryball, is all the results always have a very weird 90's feel to them. even in their samples. and i couldn't shake that feel while making renders either.. :(

Do you get a license or are you using the trial? I've been sticking with Max and using Thea mostly. I may switch to Maya if Max doesn't get Bifrost or some other volumetric fluids/gaseous simulation system. They should have licensed FumeFX or PhoenixFDa long time ago

I may switch to Maya if Max doesn't get Bifrost or some other volumetric fluids/gaseous simulation system. They should have licensed FumeFX or PhoenixFDa long time ago

Max is trailing behind in quite a few areas atp. Hopefully Max2017 is a good release that covers some of the more obvious shortcomings, I imagine they'll be showing it very soon.