3DCoat Forums

Simple 2D plane for a flag

snekkis

Hi,

First post here, and I have not been doing any 3D for over 10 years. I used Poser, Carrara and Hexagon. Last year I bought an upgrade to Carrara and Poser, but realised I had to learn about everything over again. Instead I am looking for some new tools instead, since I have to be learning from scratch.  I will be using Poser, and I am exchanging Carrara for Vue. My choice will be between 3D Coat and Mudbox, and I have been reading the pros and cons between them through some forums. I seem to lean towards 3D Coat, but when I tried something really simple, as messing up a 2D plane for a flag on the ground, it seemed to be so hard for me to figure out. I do not see any plane primitive, but this simple thing must be possible, right?

• Contributor

There is a 'Plane' primitive more or less in the middle.  The tool window lets you control the thickness.  If you take a cube and deform the upper surface to mimic grass, then use the plane with the Cloth tool to let your ground deform the plane. 

• Like 1

... If you take a cube and deform the upper surface to mimic grass, then use the plane with the Cloth tool to let your ground deform the plane. 

Hmm, this sound much like I have to tweak on basis that I know how to use the program, which would be a prerequisite any how, but I am a newbie. It is always hard to start at the bottom when it comes to learn a new program. I have started to read the manual, but this far the manual is just telling me all I can do, but not how I should do it. Maybe I am old school, but some recipe to show me exactly how to do it, was the thing I expected.

Looking at the size of this suite, and all what you can do with it, I expected a manual 600-1000 pages. I can see now that I have been away for a while. As I understand, the application is based on tooltip pop ups and video tutorials for me to learn it.

When it comes to tweaking a cube, deform, cloth tool, it is far, far from were I am, sorry. I don't understand.

• Contributor

On the cube's upper surface, use the "move" tool to 'mess up" with and the brush size to control the amount of area you want to "mess up".  The different brush alphas permit further configuration of your brush. The best teacher is experience, so experimenting with the tools will get you further than looking for and following a recipe for an action that is so hard to describe as to leave you with "messing up a 2D plane".

• Advanced Member

Try the 3D Coat Channel on YouTube.  You will learn a lot there.  video tutorials have pretty much replaced big fat manuals.  3D Coat is so much fun once you get a little bit of skill with it.

Here is a quick flag.  I used mostly the primitive tool and transform tool to make and position the shapes.  I used the primitive tool, the move tool, and the pose tool to make the flag shape.  The bad looking dent in the flag is the move tool run amok, but the idea is there.  For colors I used a shaders in the sculpt room and then just modified the color in the VoxTree menu for each object. post-21582-0-62328900-1448869861_thumb.j

Edited by Pix Jigsaw