3DCoat Forums

Smart Material Baking from Render Room

insignet

• Advanced Member

Hi

Not sure if this has been talked about before. Looking at the possibility of baking the result of a render directly to a UV map? Bake the reflections, metal, spec details as well as light influence into a single colour map? This would be good texturing for game assets. Substance Painter previews the textures on a UV map and this can be scaled up on the screen and take a screen shot... but its a work around ( see attach) You can see on the image the environment reflections etc, but these obviously are not exported. We can use the Texture Editor to preview the rendered result and export from the Render Room?

• Like 1

• Contributor

Baking in general is very useful , but when baking from Vray for example and bake to texture and get the textures in the realtime engine.

But ....  baking a pbr with reflections on , metalness etc etc  , will give a non accurate result in a real-time engine , as again it must reflect the surrounding environment , GI , movements etc etc.

With 3D Coat exporting , you get all the quality of the pbr material and still can use it in a real time engine and reflect correctly the surrounding environment , GI , movements etc etc.

• Advanced Member

Yeah the reason I asked about it. To bake smart materials etc it gives an artist a good starting point in hand painting i.e. they will have reflection reference etc baked into a layer in the paint room and can then add/substract from that on the UV mapped paint layer. btw.... great PBR materials I bought them :)

• Like 1