3DCoat Forums

Normal map problem

• Advanced Member

I'm working on a t-shirt texture for a characteron Per Pixel Painting but my normal map isn't work as expected on Modo 901. Please, refer to the images.

Here is 3D Coat. Ever​ything is ok and working just fine. Please, note that some difuse layers are hidden.

3dcoat1.jpg

Here is an image of Modo 901, without normal map texture. Everything is fine:

3dcoat_semnormal.jpg

Now with normal map:

3dcoat_comnormal.jpg

I even tried to invert the Green Channel but it doesn't worked. Some help would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

• Reputable Contributor

It might not be a simple as inverting the normal map green channel...

In the Preferences Menu there are several normal map calculation methods to choose from. There is no default Modo one yet. You can create your own.

I suggest testing with a simple sphere trying the default methods, one could work for modo.

Javis a modo user might see your post here and give you one calculation method that works...

Also at the Modo forums, someone might know what tangent Space calculation Modo uses for it's normal maps. 

That is a problem in the 3D world, no one standard for lots of things...  :wacko:

3DC is one software that at least tries to help in this area...

post-518-0-94542400-1449530731_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

Hope this help

Hi Dimitri! Sorry, I didn't get an email about your reply to the thread.

For metalness and gloss/rough, just leave those as is. Normal layers are always set to "Normal".

For the Spec Color, It's fine to do in 3DC, but duplicating the node in Modo wont work. If you want to do that, make a new image layer manually and set it to Spec Color. That said, the attenuation will be completely different. Since Spec is analyzed before any of the other channels, it could have drastic effects and make it look, well, not very good.

Something to keep in mind. :)

• Advanced Member

Hope this help

Actually not :(

That quote was from a topic about The PBR plugin that Javis developed for Modo. I'm trying to export my textures through Spec/Gloss workflow and exporting normal as well. the normal is exported "broken" though.

I have a 3DC preset that exports pretty well to modo. I'll try to upload it later today for you.

Which build of Modo are you using btw? I recognize the bug you're seeing, but it is build specific. :(

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Advanced Member

I have a 3DC preset that exports pretty well to modo. I'll try to upload it later today for you.

Which build of Modo are you using btw? I recognize the bug you're seeing, but it is build specific. :(

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hey Javis, thank you very much. I'm on Modo 901 SP3.