3DCoat Forums

New_Web page look

Ballistic_Tension

• Reputable Contributor

Agreed it could put many people off of the software. Nobody wants to feel as if someone is pushing an agenda at them even if it's not true. I honestly think just a small disclaimer saying "Please think about how you use our software, try to promote values that are...  human life blah blha blah" you don't even have to mention religion. 

Agreed. At the end of the day, they are selling tools to paint and sculpt with...just like a Hobby shop for traditional art...but it's all digital. What people do with those tools are 100% their business, even from a Christian perspective. I really wish they would drop that request from the site, altogether, because in the final analysis, people are responsible for their own actions. It's a well-intentioned request, but one that's unnecessary, a bit awkward and out of place, IMHO.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

I really agree that the religious message is out of place. It only have the potential to harm sales more than "educate" someone. I consider myself a non-religious person and the message means nothing to me. Not due it's significance for people who cares about it, but because I would not drop a great software because of the company's belief. But for the sake of general sales, I think it's better to not show on the website. 

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Yeah, they probably got some notice from one or more of those companies to not include them, which would be a shame. You see it with other companies. I guess they must have some deals with Autodesk and/or Pixologic, which frown on them being linked to another competitor.

The other problematic aspect to it was, the statement above all of that, linking to their "Voice" page or something like that. I understand them wanting to use the opportunity to share their faith, but there is a time and a place for everything under the sun (Ecclesiastes 3:1- 8), and that ain't the place for it. I told Stas before, at the most, under the ABOUT US tab, they could link to a blog or something, where they share this. Doesn't belong at the front door of a business, IMHO.

But do they plan to add the clients and colleges list again? This is a great way to selling the software. 

• Reputable Contributor

But do they plan to add the clients and colleges list again? This is a great way to selling the software. 

I hope so. I really liked that. I've seen it before on other websites, and no one asked them to take it down. Here is one example that comes to mind.

http://furryball.aaa-studio.eu/showcase/index.html

• Like 1

the  references (customers/clients) under community are gone?

when clicking on community, it redirects me straight to the forums

I told to remove it.

First reson - we should consult other companies that are placing logo-s of other companies - do we have rights? Because companies usually never answer requests to put them logo probably because no one person wants to take responsibility for company. And very pity, because 3D-Coat is used by probably every well known company in the world. I will ask Allegoritmic owners how they placed logos, our companies are generally in friendly relations :)

Second reason - I am completely against placing our voice link there. For many reasons. I never meet new peoples like "Hello, I am Christian. My name is Andrew Shpagin". I prefer they will first understand who am I, what I like, how I live, what I love and what I hate, and probably then, knowing me more deeply they will get to know and understand my views. Even if I am Christian, I am very far from traditional views there. I am rational and free from preconceptions man. I am all for thinking and critical estimation of any beliefs and generally everything. I am very against applying to me "standart stamps" that exist against Christians. Because I am critic and thinking guy "inside Christianity". I am even writing book related to deep analysis of all this. If you hate something stupid you see in Christianity, very probably I very dislike it too. And genereally I more and more disagree with text in our voice. We had serious discussions about this, there is no complete agreement, not only me is deciding that questions, I am not only owner. I am for encouraging to do good things and against any limitations because limitations will not be respected or accepted as some "to-do list". And I know how differently peoples may think. What is ugly for me may be beautiful for someone and vice versa. Even more - some things that was ugly tor me 10 years ago are  good now, some thing that was good for me 10 years ago are ugly for me now. Peoples may change.

And big thanks to everyone for feedback about site!

And, maybe someone has experience on placing logos of some companies on your site?

• Like 3

• Reputable Contributor

I told to remove it.

First reson - we should consult other companies that are placing logo-s of other companies - do we have rights? Because companies usually never answer requests to put them logo probably because no one person wants to take responsibility for company. And very pity, because 3D-Coat is used by probably every well known company in the world. I will ask Allegoritmic owners how they placed logos, our companies are generally in friendly relations :)

Second reason - I am completely against placing our voice link there. For many reasons. I never meet new peoples like "Hello, I am Christian. My name is Andrew Shpagin". I prefer they will first understand who am I, what I like, how I live, what I love and what I hate, and probably then, knowing me more deeply they will get to know and understand my views. Even if I am Christian, I am very far from traditional views there. I am rational and free from preconceptions man. I am all for thinking and critical estimation of any beliefs and generally everything. I am very against applying to me "standart stamps" that exist against Christians. Because I am critic and thinking guy "inside Christianity". I am even writing book related to deep analysis of all this. If you hate something stupid you see in Christianity, very probably I very dislike it too. And genereally I more and more disagree with text in our voice. We had serious discussions about this, there is no complete agreement, not only me is deciding that questions, I am not only owner. I am for encouraging to do good things and against any limitations because limitations will not be respected or accepted as some "to-do list". And I know how differently peoples may think. What is ugly for me may be beautiful for someone and vice versa. Even more - some things that was ugly tor me 10 years ago are  good now, some thing that was good for me 10 years ago are ugly for me now. Peoples may change.

And, maybe someone has experience on placing logos of some companies on your site?

Thanks for the response, Andrew. I suspect whomever asked for it to be taken down were rather offended that Pilgway would try to use them to promote an evangelistic message. I respect Stas' desire to share his faith, but the appropriate place for that is his or your own personal blog....where you can be more open and unrestricted. You can for example, share stories of fellow Church members witnessing miracles happening on the mission field, or personal experiences.

If you want to link to it from the ABOUT US page, no one can fault you for that. But it's best to leave the business side of things, all business. Just my 2 cents worth. :) Getting back to the company logos, I would just remove the logos of those who ask to have it removed. No company can tell you to take them all down...just their own. The most important thing is to remove that proselytizing message above them and just put in it's place something like...."Customers with 3D Coat in their work pipeline." There is misleading or misrepresentative about that.

If any of them ask you to remove it, send them an e-mail asking them to reconsider, and perhaps attempt to be directed to someone with more authority, to make the decision. It's very important for the CG community to know that there are indeed a LOT more companies and studios using your software than they realize. Most people assume it's all ZBrush, when in fact, it's not. It's only reasonable for a software vendor to mention the customers who use his product when doing so helps inform the industry...especially when the popular perception is the opposite.

• Advanced Member

re: new sale on front page.

should really read:

$100 off professional

$20 off student

i know there is a minus there, but its really not obvious that its a minus sign. and just generally not the way sales are advertised. Just confusing.

also i cant click anywhere on the text to get to an actual purchase price.

• Advanced Member

also i remember you having an option to buy through paypal through a reseller in the states or something.

that should probably be featured more prominantly somewhere on the buying page.

• Reputable Contributor

re: new sale on front page.

should really read:

$100 off professional

$20 off student

i know there is a minus there, but its really not obvious that its a minus sign. and just generally not the way sales are advertised. Just confusing.

also i cant click anywhere on the text to get to an actual purchase price.

Agreed. I sent Stas an e-mail about this very same thing, a few days ago, when I first saw it. The - can be used as bullet mark.

• Advanced Member

I told to remove it.

Some companies, have guidelines for using their logos/ linking:

e.g. autodesk:

http://www.autodesk.com/company/legal-notices-trademarks/linking-to-autodesk

http://www.autodesk.com/company/legal-notices-trademarks/trademarks/guidelines-for-use

look out for that info,  on other pages too. Theyre mostly the same.

i know only of infringements, when you use same logo to offer the same service, like e.g. using the VW-Logo for advertising as independed car workshop (Because VW have their own)

• Advanced Member

well it stopped logging me out constantly, so that's good.

improvements both on buy page and front page are great.

except in firefox it looks like this for me:

DwmNHtB.png

Edited by Aleksey

• Advanced Member

yup, my bad it seems to be noscript messing up the text. strange though because everything is allowed on 3dcoat.com

also there should be a warning " when you click purchase, you will be redirected to our partners at bluesnap.com to process payment. otherwise might be interpreted as a hijack redirect or something.

• 1 month later...
  • Contributor

Hello Timmy

at the bottom of the web forum page, you can change the theme

just click on change theme and 3dcoat skin

Hi Paulo! Thanks for the suggestion, but that old 3D-Coat theme doesn't look as good as the new design that Ajz3d suggested. It would be nice if Ajz3d's design would be the default theme instead of the bright white one that is currently default. Also, the default theme does not use the same colors as the rest of the 3dcoat.com website (the blue is different).

I was just thinking that most new visitors to the forum won't know that they can change the theme. That's why the bright white theme should not be the default.

• Contributor

I will post a link to that "new theme" shortly. It's a style override for Stylish that I quickly put together. Unfortunately I wasn't able to change everything. :)

post-12523-0-13351000-1454874598_thumb.j

Also, as I use Pale Moon browser, I don't know if the override will display properly on Firefox or Chrome. It should, at least on FF.

---

...And it's under constant development. That Post Options heading now has a proper colour. :D

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Okay, I had to test the override a little bit more before releasing it. I've been using it for a week now and I didn't run into problems yet. There are some components here and there that I didn't know how to skin, but overall the override is serviceable.

You can download it from here: http://download.arturjzarek.com/3dcoat_forum_stylish_override.zip

The ZIP file contains a CSS file. Open it with a text editor of your choice, like Notepad or Notepad++, select all of its contents and copy it to clipboard. Then, with Stylish do the following: Write New Style->Blank Style... and paste the contents of your clipboard inside the text area. Save. Then load the forums, click the Stylish icon and select my override.

IMPORTANT! The override is based on IP.Board theme, so before using the override, make sure to select the appropriate theme at the bottom of the forum page (look for Change Theme).

post-12523-0-86163300-1455576267_thumb.p

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed the Applink section of the website is still the old one: http://3dcoat.com/download/applinks/

Are they planning on updating it?

Afaik, the applinks that currently work are for: Max , Maya, Blender, Lightwave, and Mudbox(?)

The ones that don't work are: ZBrush, Modo, Messiah, and Cheetah 3D.

No idea about the rest.