3DCoat Forums

What are the difference between all these version? (OpenGL, CUDA ect.)

Aasmund

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the quick replys. So I will get best experience if I launch the CUDA version? Im on a 850M (See signature).

I still lean towards using DX as every once in a while I run into display glitches with the OpenGL versions. And the DX was always better in terms of performance, but that aspect of it has changed recently...according to Andrew. But it seems every time I start using the GL version, I run into a display issue > try the DX and it just works like you expect. So, it's probably best to stick DX if you are on Windows. You might try OpenGL once in a while to see if it works any better, but I've never had the problems with DX that I've seen with GL.

What's surprising about that is, Andrew has talked about just going with GL in the future, so he doesn't have to support both.

• Reputable Contributor

I tried CUDA, but it crashed now and then. so Im using the normal version.

You need an NVidia card, because CUDA is an NVidia-only technology. It only comes into play when using Voxel brushes, as it doesn't accelerate any other operations in 3D Coat. Everything else is based on the CPU (multi-threaded). If you have an AMD card, you don't want to use the CUDA enabled versions.