3DCoat Forums

Autopo with 4.5 unbelievely slow, what am I doing wrong ?

Supra

Go to solution Solved by AbnRanger,

Hello !
So I switched from 3DC version 4 to version 4.5 a few days ago, I was trying to bake some textures in order to test the new pbr features (which are absolutely amazing to say the least) but for some reason when I try to autopo the process is taking for ever (and by for ever I mean more than an hour), or it gives me an ultra-low poly broken mesh (less than 100 polys when asked 4000-6000).
I think it might be one of these new settings I'm not using right, but I can't figure out which one, and the Auto-retopolgy guide didn't give any answer to the problem..
Any ideas ?

Spec: Single object with around 2m triangles.

post-39990-0-45301600-1450888744_thumb.p

post-39990-0-64701400-1450888799_thumb.p

Okay, I'm now using the decimate if above option and it seems to take a few seconds to calculate which is a good step forward, thanks for the tip AbnRanger !
I was thinking about decreasing the level of details of the object to be less than a million tris, using the autopo and then baking the fine details from the original hi-poly object using normals, the only thing is that I'm now getting a "The model is empty" error message once the autopo is completed; I've tried different models with different resolution with no luck.. (Never happened with the V4)
(Riddell: No red info on the bottom status bar so far)

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Bring your Capture Details value up to about 70%, and the Decimate if Above value to about 40. On that model, I would shoot for somewhere between 8-10k polys (Estimated polycount of Autopo result). Since the goal is to create a low-poly version and use depth maps to emulate the high poly detail, it's counter-productive to make an auto-retopo algorithm spend needless time calculating details we don't want or need topology for.

So, create a degraded duplicate (there is an icon for that at the bottom of the VoxTree layer panel), and use the fill tool to fill in all the small details (details we want Auto-Retopo to ignore). Use that layer/object to Auto-Retopo with and you'll get a MUCH better result. It's simply using the K.I.S.S method. It makes no sense to through a highly detailed model at it and expect the unnecessary complexity to affect the result, adversely.

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

Bring your Capture Details value up to about 70%, and the Decimate if Above value to about 40. On that model, I would shoot for somewhere between 8-10k polys (Estimated polycount of Autopo result). Since the goal is to create a low-poly version and use depth maps to emulate the high poly detail, it's counter-productive to make an auto-retopo algorithm spend needless time calculating details we don't want or need topology for.

So, create a degraded duplicate (there is an icon for that at the bottom of the VoxTree layer panel), and use the fill tool to fill in all the small details (details we want Auto-Retopo to ignore). Use that layer/object to Auto-Retopo with and you'll get a MUCH better result. It's simply using the K.I.S.S method. It makes no sense to through a highly detailed model at it and expect the unnecessary complexity to affect the result, adversely.

Sorry for the typos...I was tired. :) I meant to say that "it makes no sense to throw an unnecessarily complex model at the algorithm without expecting some adverse results." We want a simplified version just for Auto-Retopo, and once we have the desired result, we can discard or hide that voxel layer > use the high-detail version for baking maps (onto the newly created Auto-Retopo mesh). Hope that makes sense.