3DCoat Forums

Retopo Issues

Teriander

Go to solution Solved by AbnRanger,

I have been having some issues with getting the auto retopo going.  From crashes to inaccurate results.  Is the Sculpting and auto-retopo tools with 3D Coat a reliable solution?  Does it compare to programs such as TopoGun?  

I have even tried non-merged geometry just to test, and still had issues.

For example, goto New >> Voxel Sculpting >> Select the Man that is complete (first male character, bottom, middle) >> Under the VoxTree select "Mannequin Parent >> Right click and goto AUTOPO > AUTOPO > Click Ok.   3D Coat insantly locks up for me.  Something like this would drive me crazy if I spent hours sculpting a model and I can't retopo it.   Below are the settings I had before clicking ok.  Does this lock up for you?

3dcoatError.jpg

• Contributor

Same here.

Looks like all the sublayers causing that problem or it is a very long calculation bevor the task start,

For you

1. Create a new Layer in Voxel.

2. Subdivide it one or two times.

3. Rightclick on the layer.

4. Klick on Merge Visible

5. Run on that layer autopo with Symetrie on.

6. Done, You have your retopo.

After that you could delete that new created Layer and bake from your original object.

There is no loss of your details in that way.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

What are those dots in the background of your viewport? Did you click on a Smart Material, Stencil or something? Plus, by trying to run Auto Retopo on the parent of a multi-layered object, with parts that are overlapping or touching...you are going to have problems. It's designed to run on one layer at a time. If you have multiple objects on a layer...like teeth of a creature or bolts/screws, rocks, etc., that is ok. But it's wise not to do so when those objects touch or overlap other objects.

So, one layer at a time. Secondly, if you have a really thin object, Auto-Retopo will struggle with it, and it is not going to create a mesh on one side of a thin object. It's going to try and create a mesh all the way around. So, Auto-Retopo would be a very poor choice for things like clothes, which have almost no thickness, and which, in most cases, you do not want double-sided with thickness. Why? Because when you try to run a cloth sim on a double-sided mesh, you're going to have problems with interpenetration and such. The object needs to have some degree of thickness and/or be a closed object.

If you try to test Auto-Retopo with the other Human Primitive, from the splash screen (rather than the Mannequin with multiple parts), you'll see that it works properly. You were just trying to use it in a way it really isn't designed to.

• Reputable Contributor

Adding to what AbnRanger said.

First you are trying to bake an empty layer...  That model is divided up into many layers.

From the New dialog box choose male model to the right of the one you chose and the auto -retopo will work fine. 

3DC has some of the best manual retopo tools out there. It's current auto-retopo does a fair job but in my opinion could use some more fine turning by the 3DC's development team.

Attached image, model was auto-retopoed. On a symmetrical model be sure to turn on symmetry before running the routine.

post-518-0-96196500-1451293045_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I'll have to experiment more with 3d Coat for sculpting.  

AbnRanger,

The black dots are part of a custom designed background I created just for myself.  I didn't want the gradient background. 

Oh, I see. It looked like the a stencil was active, and it's always a good idea to close those when not in use. BTW, you'll find that Auto-Retopo works really well and can save a lot of time in many scenarios, but it's not a complete replacement for manual retopo. There are some scenarios where the user will try to push it hard, on a really complex shape and find that it takes too many adjustments and multiple attempts. At some point, you then realize it would have taken a lot less time and effort doing it manually.

So, my advice is to use in on non-complex parts of your model/scene. It's great for secondary objects like bracelets, belts, buttons, buckles, armor plates, modular parts of a weapon, etc. Once you get a good feel for what it can do, then you might start pushing it a bit more. On a character, I would use the manual tools...the Strokes tool is somewhat of an auto-retopo tool on it's own, just a few strokes can generate an entire mesh, and do so with full-manual control. Use the other manual tools to clean up.

Auto-Retopo should also do a great job on hard surface objects, but again...try to keep the model modular and auto-retopo it in parts. Don't try and throw an entire complex space ship or assault weapon at it. Won't work well.