3DCoat Forums

Vox scultping with color ...

ggaliens

Go to solution Solved by digman,

• Advanced Member

Vox scultping with color ...

I have written some spherical heightmap code for another app that allowed me to create a model with color map and also heights bumped.  I can convert all this color and height into just a .PLY mesh for export.

Is it possible to import PLY mesh ... with color information ?  If not ... is there a format than can be used to bring into 3dcoat a colored mesh ?

Please advise. Thanks.

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Under the Import panel in the sculpt room, select "Import w/o Voxelization". The vertex colors in the Ply file should import as well and be applied to layer 1 in the paint room.

I have imported Ply files with vertex colors successfully using this method.  The quality of your colors though will be depended upon the vertex count of your imported surface mode model.

If you need better quality color information you might need to increase the polygon count of your model externally before importing into 3DCoat.

Or you can import the model as is and then resample or res+ the model and go over the painted areas in the paint room to increase the quality. 

Surface mode is not like voxel mode, where increasing the size of the model when importing increases the voxel count. Neither can you increase the density of the layer before importing into that layer for surface mode and it effect the imported model. Plus if you subdivide from the import panel the model when importing, you will lose your vertex color information.

In surface mode the model will come in as is. If it is all quads they will it get triangulated but yours I would imagine is triangulated already. 

Voxel mode does not support vertex colors only surface mode.

If for any reason the first method fails, then try Under the File menu / Import for Vertex Painting / Big reference. 

I used this method successfully with Ply files with vertex colors also.

Side Note : The last method also works if your model has a uv texture map, they will be converted to vertex colors...

post-518-0-40671300-1451529044_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-43498500-1451529311_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman