3DCoat Forums

3DS Max Applink - Complete Rewrite

PolyHertz

No, this 2nd script still just returns the drive letter.    

While I'm diagnosing I did run the second script. I only get the drive also. Mine happens to be E:\ as well. 

Hello, I am  having trouble setting up the Creating custom material presets: part of the instructions. Do i create the .jpg in the slate material editor or the compact material editor? Do i use a standard material? If the material is made in the slate material editor and use a standard material where do i connect the rough.jpg , metalness.jpg , emissive.jpg , ao.jpg?  Can i use .png instead of .jpg? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Using 3ds Max 2016 , 3d Coat 4.5.19(CUDA)(GL64), 3ds Max Applink v1.7.mzp

lmnop2345@gmail.com

Hi, what you are asking is basic 3ds Max functionality questions and isn't s specific to the Applink plugin except for the saving of the materials as a .mat.

You can find all kinds of great info about wiring and building materials in Slate and Compact in the Max 'Help' file and in 100's of tutorial on the web. You can connect the maps to the material in either Slate or Compact. It's done a little differently but winds up in the same place.

In Compact you "point to" maps and in Slate you "wire" maps. Finally, per the 3DC 'readme.txt' you can use whatever format you want, just make sure that they are all the same and they can be blank, meaning, just create solid black (or any color) map and name it, "color.jpg" or "opacity.jpg" etc. Connect the dummy maps to the material and save it per the instructions. 

Lets try this (confirm that the Temp directory is being properly read in general by 3D-Coat);

-Max 2017 is writing the OBJ in a way which the 3DC autoloader doesn't like (you're the first person to use it with Max 2017 afaik).

PolyHertz, you teased my curiosity when you thought I was trying the link in Max 2017. So, I tried it in Max 2017 for the heck of it. I have the same failure. Well, really not a failure. Just that nothing happens. Max 2017 does write out the files to the 'Applink_Max3DC' folder. 3DC just does not see it and try to automatically import it. Nor do I get the "Export" function in 3DC. 

Did you try the things mentioned in Einherjis post on the previous page? If your documents folder was relocated to another drive 3DC tends to have problems finding it without some tweaks.

Yes, I did see those posts. My default Windows documents path has a symbolic link to a different drive so the system doesn't know that the files are somewhere else. It makes no difference nor does it cause any issues with any of the other of the over 200 programs I have installed. 

Last resort then would be to create a duplicate of your 3D-CoatV45 folder on the C:/ drive where it would normally be, and use that instead. Someone else a few months ago did that and it worked for them.

If that still doesn't work, maybe try contacting Andrew to see what he has to say about getting 3DCoat to work with the Windows Documents directory when its been moved to a different drive. I'm out of ideas.

Hi, here's the current situation. 

1. I uninstalled 3DC 4.5.37 and reinstalled in the default path on c:

2. I placed a Teapot in Max, added a VRay standard material and exported to 3DC. Same issue, no import window and no 'Export' menu item under 'File'. Also, the Applink did not create the '3dsMax 201x' folder with the 'run.txt' file. 

3. I changed the renderer to 'Scanline' and added a standard material. I exported to 3DC. Same issue, no import window and not 'Export' menu item under 'File'. However, the Applink did create the '3dsMax 201x' folder with the 'run.txt' file.

4. I placed the Applink Temp directory in the 'users/Public/Documents' to see if that might get around a Windows 10 permissions issue. No help. Finally, I shared the Temp directory with 'Everyone' and gave full read / write permissions. No help. 

Are you watching this Andrew, ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

am facing a problem when using vray material as a material preset in the applink window

when importing the file after finished, it says that the file .mat is in a newer verion 18000 and that i have version 16000, i think it was saved with max2016 and am using max2014

can you fix this please ASAP

Does it solve the issue If you replace the vray .mat preset file (located in your Windows Documents > 'Applink_Max3DC' directory) with these? :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/VRayMtl%20-%20Basic2014.mat

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/VRayMtl%20-%20Fresnel2014.mat

Edited by PolyHertz

Hey guys,

Planning on adding in multi-language support for the next release (with custom language files so it can be easily added to). Right now I'm just using Google translate, but was wondering if anyone here that is multi-lingual would be willing to help translate the menus properly? atm I'm looking to add support for French, German, Japanese, Korean, and (simplified) Chinese.

Not sure if anyone will use this feature, but want to make the experience as smooth as possible for the non-English speaking users as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/3ds Max Applink v1.9.mzp

Changes:
-Now supports multiple languages. Languages can be chosen from top menu bar under "Options".
    --Users can copy and edit the existing language files in the Windows Documents Applink_Max3DC folder to create their own.
    --Thanks go out to Puntoit for the German translation!
-File menu bar added. Features;
    --File; Just includes 'Exit' , is so users can exit the Applink directly from docked mode.
    --Options; Access all language and extended options settings.
    --Help; Access help files and the main forum thread if have questions.
-Now auto-detects "AppLinks" folder introduced in the most recent versions of 3D-Coat. Suggested for anyone running 3D-Coat v4.5.37 or newer.
-Additional options added for "Auto Clear Temp on Close". Can now select "Clear all found temp directories" or "Clear only the selected temp directory"
-Fixed a bug with "Import Only Materials" feature that happened in 3DC 4.5.37 and newer due to changes in the content structure of the textures.txt file.
-Now fully tested to work in Max 2017. Previous versions worked, but had some very minor UI issues.
-Applink can now work even if main settings INI cannot be read from / written to.
-Additional Import option added that lets users choose to import from selected Temp directory, or check for the latest files in all know temp directories.
    --Work around for 3D-Coat fractured export bug, where main txt files will be generated in two completely different folders.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2016 at 0:28 PM, RobH2 said:

2. I placed a Teapot in Max, added a VRay standard material and exported to 3DC. Same issue, no import window and no 'Export' menu item under 'File'. Also, the Applink did not create the '3dsMax 201x' folder with the 'run.txt' file. 

3. I changed the renderer to 'Scanline' and added a standard material. I exported to 3DC. Same issue, no import window and not 'Export' menu item under 'File'. However, the Applink did create the '3dsMax 201x' folder with the 'run.txt' file.

4. I placed the Applink Temp directory in the 'users/Public/Documents' to see if that might get around a Windows 10 permissions issue. No help. Finally, I shared the Temp directory with 'Everyone' and gave full read / write permissions. No help. 

Just reporting in that I still cannot get this to function. I'm sure it's really handy and I wish I could figure out why not. I just tried '3ds Max Applink V1.9.mzp' in both Max 2016 and Max 2017 without success. 3DC opens and just sits there empty. I turned off the 3dc initial splash screen to see if that was hanging things up but it apparently had no effect. No mesh is automatically imported. 

• Reputable Contributor
On 5/6/2016 at 11:28 AM, RobH2 said:

In the Applink Panel, there is a droplist for your Temp directory. If it's not pointing to your "MyDocs/3D Coat 4.5/Exchange" directory, then it's going to do exactly as you described.....nothing. Check that, first. It's working on my end. Because you are working with PBR related maps....trying to import them into 3D Coat from a material you have set up in Max, is not a good idea. It's better to just import the mesh and import the maps, in 3D Coat, from the TEXTURES > IMPORT menu.

Applink panel.jpg

Since you said you're running 4.5.37 now, try using the new Applink>3D-Coat>Exchange temp path. Andrew has decided to have a single applink exchange folder going forward to make things easier (though in practice there are still some issues like fractured export, but that only matters when importing to another app instead of sending files to 3D-Coat itself).

If the new directory doesn't change anything, could you send the export.txt , textures.txt , and input.obj files that are generated? Any export that's from the applink that's not auto-loading will do.

I have it working now. What I tried to do was have the 'Exchange' directory elsewhere and not in my system default documents directory. I redirect anything away from there except documents that I personally create. My C: drive is a 120GB SSD drive and it fills up fast. I don't put anything on it that is not absolutely necessary.

I had created the exact folder hierarchy in my preferred path and had assumed it would work. Theoretically, maybe it should but for me it did not. I also have a junction that points my 'Documents' directory away from the C: drive to another drive. That works perfectly for everything else that I do and no programs that I use have any idea that they are being redirected. Except this one. It won't work if I point to my preferred path. I tried the default path and it now works in Max 2017. I will try Max 2016 later. So, I'll just have to get over it and leave it on the C: drive and clean it out now and then if things linger. 

Sorry for the continued insistence that I had an issue. I've just trusted this junction so much that I just couldn't believe that it might be the issue and it apparently was. 

Really nice work and I along with 1000's of others certainly applaud PolyHertz's effort. These little "niceties" help all of our jobs go faster and more smoothly. Thanks very much. 

Best, 

Rob

• Like 1

That's great news! Glad to hear everything's finally working for you :)

Also, if you're worried about the temp files taking up too much space, be sure to enable the 'Auto Clear Temp' option, which will remove all exhange files whenever the applink is closed (if you do though, be sure you're not using the temp directory to store any files you want to keep though).

Yes, I see that switch now and will use it. Again, sorry for the bother and this is a nice addition. I just completely trusted my junction and it apparently could not fool your code on my system.

FYI, I tested it on Max 2016 and I get an error during installation. I made sure to uninstall first and then closed Max and manually cleaned out any files with '*applink*' in the name. I opened Max 2016 and get this during install. Maybe I missed one or two files to delete?

Best regards...

applink.jpg

The part that looks to be failing there is extremely basic, there should be no way for it to fail...I just did a small update to the applink intaller, try downloading it and trying again.

If it still fails, I'm going to recommend you do a manual install (like detailed in the first post in the thread).

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Applink 1.8 does not work in Max2016 (Windows 10). I cannot install it using installer. I did a manual installation by coping applink files to the right folders. The Applink still does not work in Max2016.  When I save model from 3DC to Exchange folder to open it 3ds max 2016 Applink does nothing. It cannot see the new file which needs to be imported. Export from Max2016 to 3DC works fine but from 3DC to Max2016 does not work. What should I check to fix it?

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Vipera said:

Applink 1.8 does not work in Max2016 (Windows 10). I cannot install it using installer. I did a manual installation by coping applink files to the right folders. The Applink still does not work in Max2016.  When I save model from 3DC to Exchange folder to open it 3ds max 2016 Applink does nothing. It cannot see the new file which needs to be imported. Export from Max2016 to 3DC works fine but from 3DC to Max2016 does not work. What should I check to fix it?

I was able to install the latest one (1.9) which is updated on the main post. When you first run the script (Script menu > Run script...not drag and drop. That doesn't work for some reason), choose to UNINSTALL first, then run the INSTALL. This will give you a clean install, which is sometimes necessary. See if that doesn't help. It worked for me a few weeks ago.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

I have downloaded and installed the last Applink version 1.9 for 3ds max but still no luck. Applink in max cannot see the files which I export from 3DC. Maybe Windows 10 prevents to save the files in that folder. Which files should I check? What is funny is that applink works fine on my home computer, also with Windows 10.

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Vipera said:

I have downloaded and installed the last Applink version 1.9 for 3ds max but still no luck. Applink in max cannot see the files which I export from 3DC. Maybe Windows 10 prevents to save the files in that folder. Which files should I check? What is funny is that applink works fine on my home computer, also with Windows 10.

This happens to me sometimes, if I export from 3D Coat to a subfolder in the MyDocs/3D Coat/Exchange directory. Make sure the TEMP directory in the Applink panel has the MyDocs/3D Coat 4.7/Exchange folder chosen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

I was trying to create a video showing how to create a custom material preset, but I never seem to have any luck. I followed the instructions to the letter, but with Redshift material preset chosen (after creating one per instructions) it creates a Multi-Sub object comprised of 2 Max Standard Materials. There is only one UV map on the model, so I have no idea why it created a Multi-Sub object in the first place, and why it had to ignore the preset.