3DCoat Forums

3DS Max Applink - Complete Rewrite

PolyHertz

Hey AbnRanger, is this multi-sub material issue happening with just redshift materials?

There were some major changes with how standard / multi-sub materials were determined between v1.8 and 1.9 (merged regular and material-only modes). So, if 1.9 is giving you problems try 1.8f and let me know if it's any better.

I need to know a few things to narrow this down:

-Does it happen with 1.8f as well (here's a link in case don't have the file anymore), or just 1.9?
-Is the mesh being created in Max originally, and if so how many materials does 3D-Coat recognize on import into the paint room?

Any example files you could send could be useful too (both before and after import).

I have some guesses as to what might be happening, but I need more info before I can start tracking down the issue.

• 2 months later...

I'm new to 3D-Coat and am learning (I have the Hobbyist Version at the moment).

The Applink doesn't work for me - I try on a simple Teapot in 3DS Max 2017 (Commercial) and try importing into 3D-Coat from 3DS Max, but nothing gets exported.

I've tried the different folder options, but all that happens is 3D-Coat is launched etc, but empty.....

Does the geometry need to be collapsed or something ? 

Does import/export not work for Edu Versions of 3D-Coat ?

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, JezUK said:

I'm new to 3D-Coat and am learning (I have the Hobbyist Version at the moment).

The Applink doesn't work for me - I try on a simple Teapot in 3DS Max 2017 (Commercial) and try importing into 3D-Coat from 3DS Max, but nothing gets exported.

I've tried the different folder options, but all that happens is 3D-Coat is launched etc, but empty.....

Does the geometry need to be collapsed or something ? 

Does import/export not work for Edu Versions of 3D-Coat ?

Try setting the TEMP directory in the Applink panel (withing 3ds Max) to "MyDocs/Applinks/3D Coat". Usually when you get nothing imported, it has something to do with the Applink looking in the wrong temp folder

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Manual installation:
   1. Open mzp file like a regular zip file (using 7zip, winrar, etc.) and extract the "3DCapplink" folder
   2. Copy the .BMP files to your max icons directory (search for "Icons" or "IconsDark" in you Max directory depending on your theme).
   3. Create a folder inside your Windows Documents directory called "Applink_Max3DC", and copy all the .MAT, .MS, and .TXT files there.
   4. Run the file "GregsScripts-g_3DCappLink.mcr" the same way you would the mzp during auto-installation.
   5. After install is successfully completed, find the app under Customize > Keyboard/Toolbar tab > Category: GregsScripts. 

Applink panel.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member
8 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

These Applink update links are broken. Does anyone have the 1.9 update that they can share, so we can temporarily access that, here?

This is the temporary link to Applink v1.9. I do not guaranty it will be available for the long time though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/48zqw228jxli91v/3ds Max Applink v1.9.mzp?dl=0

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Vipera said:

This is the temporary link to Applink v1.9. I do not guaranty it will be available for the long time though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/48zqw228jxli91v/3ds Max Applink v1.9.mzp?dl=0

Thanks. I'll try to attach the file directly in this post....

Here:

3ds Max Applink v1.9.mzp

On 1/17/2016 at 9:32 AM, PolyHertz said:

Over the past few months I've created a completely new applink from scratch for use between 3DSMax and 3D-Coat, but after having posted about it for a while in the old applink thread it's about time to give it its own dedicated one.

3DS Max compatibility: 2012 - 2017
3D-Coat compatibility: v3.7 - v4.5

Automatic Installation:
   1. drag-drop mzp file onto max window, or go to Scripting/Maxscript > Open Script and run the mzp from there.
   2. After install is successfully completed, find the app under Customize > Keyboard/Toolbar tab > Category: GregsScripts.

Manual installation:
   1. Open mzp file like a regular zip file (using 7zip, winrar, etc.) and extract the "3DCapplink" folder
   2. Copy the .BMP files to your max icons directory (search for "Icons" or "IconsDark" in you Max directory depending on your theme).
   3. Create a folder inside your Windows Documents directory called "Applink_Max3DC", and copy all the .MAT, .MS, and .TXT files there.
   4. Run the file "GregsScripts-g_3DCappLink.mcr" the same way you would the mzp during auto-installation.
   5. After install is successfully completed, find the app under Customize > Keyboard/Toolbar tab > Category: GregsScripts.

--------------------
Creating a custom material preset:
    1. Create you're material however you want, as any type you want (except for DirectX materials).
        Multi-Sub materials are fine too, just don't use a multi-sub inside another multi-sub.
    2. Create a series of blank/dummy texture files named as follows:
        color.jpg , opacity.jpg , rough.jpg , gloss.jpg , specular_color.jpg , metalness.jpg , normal.jpg , emissive.jpg , ao.jpg
    3. Add these files to your material where ever you want the corresponding 3D-Coat maps to be plugged into.
        The maps from 3D-Coat do NOT have to be jpgs, but should all be one format (tga, png, etc.)
    4. In Compact Material Editor on the top menu bar go to Material > Get Material. Or if in the Slate Material Editor the "Materials/Map Browser" window will already be visible on the left.
        In the "Material/Maps Browser" click the top left down arrow > New Material Library...
        Save the Material Library file to the Windows documents folder named "Applink_Max3DC". The material file can be named whatever you want, but it must have the ".mat" extension.
        Drag-drop the material from the Material Editor on to the newly created Material Library listed in the "Material/Map Browser"
        Right click on the Material Library (ie. the ".mat" file in the "Material/Map Browser") > the file path > save.
    5. That's it, you're done! Next time the applink is started your preset will be shown in the drop down list be ready to be used.
Material preset Utility:
    -Right click on the material presets drop down menu, a new menu will appear that lets you assign scene settings to each preset.
    -Right click on any arrows to reset that setting to 'ignore' (ie. don't do anything to that scene setting when using the material preset)
    -If you assign a setting to "CURRENT SCENE" it will take affect immediately, but for any other selectable presets you need to press Accept or OK button for them to be saved.

Material presets known limitations:
    -Unused maps from preset need to be maually removed (opacity.jpg, emissive.jpg, etc.), so only include the ones you're sure you will be exporting from 3D-Coat when using that preset.
    -Material presets do NOT support materials that use "bitmaps" instead of "bitmapTextures". What's the difference? A bitmapTexture lets you mess with the bitmaps settings (like output curves), Bitmaps however don't (in DirectX materials for example).
    -If a preset fails to load on import (like if it requires vray and you don't have vray installed) the objects will use the Default preset (ie. no preset) instead.
    -Presets should not be multi-sub materials, because then you can end up with multi sub materials inside other multi sub materials, and that hasn't been tested. It -might- work, but I'm really just not sure.

Also, here's a pack of dummy textures to save time for anyone who wants to make their own presets: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/dummyMaps.zip

-------------------------------------
Release notes v1.9

Update: 3ds Max Applink v1.9.mzp

Changes:
-Now supports multiple languages. Languages can be chosen from top menu bar under "Options".
    --Users can copy and edit the existing language files in the Windows Documents Applink_Max3DC folder to create their own.
    --Thanks go out to Puntoit for the German translation!
-File menu bar added. Features;
    --File; Just includes 'Exit' , is so users can exit the Applink directly from docked mode.
    --Options; Access all language and extended options settings.
    --Help; Access help files and the main forum thread if have questions.
-Now auto-detects "AppLinks" folder introduced in the most recent versions of 3D-Coat. Suggested for anyone running 3D-Coat v4.5.37 or newer.
-Additional options added for "Auto Clear Temp on Close". Can now select "Clear all found temp directories" or "Clear only the selected temp directory"
-Fixed a bug with "Import Only Materials" feature that happened in 3DC 4.5.37 and newer due to changes in the content structure of the textures.txt file.
-Now fully tested to work in Max 2017. Previous versions worked, but had some very minor UI issues.
-Applink can now work even if main settings INI cannot be read from / written to.
-Additional Import option added that lets users choose to import from selected Temp directory, or check for the latest files in all know temp directories.
    --Work around for 3D-Coat fractured export bug, where generated txt files will be created in two completely different folders.

Pack of dummy textures file is not available for download 

• 1 month later...

The latest version of the applink can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r34ns1e92hxoap0/3ds Max Applink v1.9a.mzp?dl=1

For those asking about the dummy textures; They're now included inside applink mzp file (just open it like a normal zip file).

For Max 2018 users; You may have noticed the dock feature puts the applink below the command panel / scene explorer, and when undocking the UI is too big. There's nothing I can do about this unfortunately because Autodesk hasn't updated Maxscript to deal with all the UI changes they've made. However, you can move the UI into the correct position manually afterwards, and if you tear it off into a floater pressing the dock button will correct the size. Once AD fixes the issue I'll update the script.

• Like 1

Hello, PolyHertz.  I installed 1.9a in 3dsmax 2017, then follow the instruction create a VRayMtl material preset and assign to the model, put color.jpg and gloss.jpg into the map slot,  before export to 3dcoat I set the Material Preset to VRayMtl-Fresnel.mat in 3DC AppLink, after painted somthing on model in 3d-coat, I export textures use v-ray standard GGX presets. But after import into 3dsmax, the material is standard , not VRayMtl,  where is my wrong? Thanks.

Edited by wensk

Hello,Polyhertz. The version 1.8f can import vray material into 3dsmax2017, also the texture slot is same with 3d-coat export, but all textures haven't imported, please watch the images below, also the reflect slot auto added a falloff. Thanks.

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

Edited by wensk

• 2 months later...

I love this app-link and the time-saving wonderfulness it provides!

However, I'm trying to get it to work with Redshift, and can't seem to get the automatic material hook-up process to work back in 3dsmax. I've been through the whole material and library creation process, and am fairly sure I've done it correctly, but when I import back in to 3dsmax, only the object makes it. No material attached.

Are there any other Redshift users here that have got it to function?

Kind regards,

Peter Spence
Putty Studios

• 3 months later...

Hi I am desperate to get this Applink working with the 'VRayMtl - Fresnel.mat' Preset, here is my current status -

1.8f - obj imports with a vray material but no texture maps linked (just like wensk last post)

1.9a - obj imports with just a standard max material but it does have texture maps linked

Its as though 1.9a can't find the material preset?

Kind regards,

Neil

• Reputable Contributor
On 2/15/2018 at 3:54 AM, Peter Spence said:

I love this app-link and the time-saving wonderfulness it provides!

However, I'm trying to get it to work with Redshift, and can't seem to get the automatic material hook-up process to work back in 3dsmax. I've been through the whole material and library creation process, and am fairly sure I've done it correctly, but when I import back in to 3dsmax, only the object makes it. No material attached.

Are there any other Redshift users here that have got it to function?

Kind regards,

Peter Spence
Putty Studios

The Applink map hookup doesn't work coming into 3D Coat if you are using a 3rd part render. It will if it's a standard Max material, as Max somehow manages to associate the maps correctly in the OBJ or FBX export. But, it doesn't do that for any 3rd party renders. That is a limitation with Max's export tools. The Applink does the material node hookup one way, from 3D Coat, into 3ds Max, but not the other way.

I am trying to fix the v1.9a of the script to work with vray. The heart of of the problem is with some naming conventions in the script which I can fix if I know the correct wiring.

Is there any documentation on how the textures from 3D Coat should be used?

it outputs -

diffuse

fresnel_ior

glossiness

normal_map

reflection

Thanks,

Neil