3DCoat Forums

3DS Max Applink - Complete Rewrite

PolyHertz

I'm having some difficulty with my install, trying to set up on a new computer (Max 2018, 3D Coat 4.8.32, Applink 2.1).  

Everything worked perfectly on my previous computer (same software, similar hardware).  Then I switched computers and have to reinstall it all.  Upon freshly installing Max 2018 I copied over my Max UI settings from the previous computer.  Then installed 3D Coat.  At this point I tried the Applink install as before, but I'm afraid it isn't installing.  Everything appears exactly as though it's not running the mcr.  I suspected the installer wasn't happy with something from my previous UI settings (perhaps a reference that looked like it's already installed) so I reset that to default and tried again (same result).  And beyond that, I'm not sure what else to look for.  

Thoughts?  Thanks!

-Spaz

• Reputable Contributor
8 hours ago, SpazticusPrime said:

I'm having some difficulty with my install, trying to set up on a new computer (Max 2018, 3D Coat 4.8.32, Applink 2.1).  

Everything worked perfectly on my previous computer (same software, similar hardware).  Then I switched computers and have to reinstall it all.  Upon freshly installing Max 2018 I copied over my Max UI settings from the previous computer.  Then installed 3D Coat.  At this point I tried the Applink install as before, but I'm afraid it isn't installing.  Everything appears exactly as though it's not running the mcr.  I suspected the installer wasn't happy with something from my previous UI settings (perhaps a reference that looked like it's already installed) so I reset that to default and tried again (same result).  And beyond that, I'm not sure what else to look for.  

Thoughts?  Thanks!

-Spaz

Try to uninstall the old one and re-install the new one. I think I had a similar problem before, and IIRC, that is what fixed it.

9 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Try to uninstall the old one and re-install the new one. I think I had a similar problem before, and IIRC, that is what fixed it.

Thanks AbnRanger, I'm trying that now. 

Just for the record, I should be installing the 2.1 rewrite from the beginning of this thread (not 1.8c from 3D Coat's download page), right?

• 3 weeks later...

Max 2018

why, oh why did i try... 1.8 was working for me fine except the UV never came into 3DC so i UVed in 3DC

2.1 doesn't work at all. everything seems to work in Max but nothing ever comes into 3DC. and i've tried everything. it opens clean :(:(

also, 1.8 had a very easy setup, like other scripts. seems i must go back to 1.8

Edited by dniitall

• 1 month later...

I'm on a new PC build, reinstalled max 2016 and coat 4.8.15D and applink v2.1, was able to export a mesh from max to 3d coat, and paint it, but the Export To menu item under File is missing.  I think I saw this before but cannot remember how I fixed it...maybe something in the applink settings in max.  Can someone offer a suggestion to try?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 1/17/2016 at 2:32 AM, PolyHertz said:

PSA: DO NOT USE EXPORT CONSTRUCTOR IN 3D-COAT! IT MUST BE DISABLED ON EXPORT FOR THE APPLINKS MATERIAL PRESETS TO WORK!

It is possible to use the export constructor with multiple changes to the settings to get all names back to how they are by default, but it's not recommended.

Hi,
I am using 3d coat 4.8.37 for VFX with 3ds max 2018+vray3.6 and most of the time I have to transfer
multiple paint objects with multiple UV sets and textures at once between apps.
The textures have to have unique prefix in the names based of paint object name.
Currently I am exporting them from 3d coat with export constructor and I am building shader networks in 3ds max manually but it is a huge waste of time. 
There have to be a way to automate it.

I watched youtube tutorials for max applink 2.1 and tested it.
The included preset in Applink 2.1 for Vray don't work in my end and I tried to create a custom one without success.
Even if I don't use export constructor and I would like to export 20 paint object at once the applink and preset don't work how it should.
Tutorials also don't show the case where you would like to transfer let say 20 paint object with diffuse, IOR, glossiness,  specular color, and normal map at ones in 3ds max.
Since export constructor in 3d coat have to be disabled by recommendation how make it possible to export 20 paint objects with deferent uv sets at ones?
Would someone be so kind and explain it how to do it or maybe add feature to applink
to be able to use constructor with multiple paint objects and based of names of paint objects and corresponding export folder for them 
create and assign Vray 3.6 shaders in 3ds max 2018 with help of applink ?

I would be very greatful for help because I am have very short deadlines and a lot of objects to transfer from 3dcoat paint room to 3ds max+vray.

Could someone from applink developers could contact me and we could together figure it out?

I think that would benefit all 3ds max applink users.

Best regards

Mariusz 

PS. It is no easy to find app link v2.1 and documentation about it since https://3dcoat.com/download/applinks/ 3ds max  is pointing to version 1.8c.
Could someone fix it ?

• 4 months later...

Hello,

My 3dcoat v.4.8.42 do not see export from 3dsmax applink whatever temp folder i set.

I tried each and every solution in this topic but it just opens automatically from applink export button and show me welcome screen.

All files are properly created by applink.

My 3dcoat is installed in C:\Program Files\3DCoat-V4.8.42

3dcoat data folder is by default set to D:\DOCUMENTS\3D-CoatV48

Applinks folder with Maxsetting folder by default is in  C:\Users\***\Documents\AppLinks

Where should i set temp folder in 3dsmax applink so 3dcoat can see export files?

Please, help!

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone, been quite a while since my last post. With the upcoming release of 3D-Coat 2021 (aka. v5.0) I thought it might be time to update this applink.
That said, I'd like to first know; Is there still any interest in this? If there's no interest anymore then there's no reason for me to spend time updating it after all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

There's still a pretty annoying bug where exporting an object to 3D coat resets the "Use Z up coordinate system" setting in 3D coat and there's absolutely no way to change/fix this. If I manually import an object while Z-up is  enabled in 3dc it imports fine, but if I use Applink it resets it every single time so the object comes in with the wrong orientation. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...