3DCoat Forums
PolyHertz

3DS Max Applink - Complete Rewrite

Since you said you're running 4.5.37 now, try using the new Applink>3D-Coat>Exchange temp path. Andrew has decided to have a single applink exchange folder going forward to make things easier (though in practice there are still some issues like fractured export, but that only matters when importing to another app instead of sending files to 3D-Coat itself).

If the new directory doesn't change anything, could you send the export.txt , textures.txt , and input.obj files that are generated? Any export that's from the applink that's not auto-loading will do.

I have it working now. What I tried to do was have the 'Exchange' directory elsewhere and not in my system default documents directory. I redirect anything away from there except documents that I personally create. My C: drive is a 120GB SSD drive and it fills up fast. I don't put anything on it that is not absolutely necessary.

I had created the exact folder hierarchy in my preferred path and had assumed it would work. Theoretically, maybe it should but for me it did not. I also have a junction that points my 'Documents' directory away from the C: drive to another drive. That works perfectly for everything else that I do and no programs that I use have any idea that they are being redirected. Except this one. It won't work if I point to my preferred path. I tried the default path and it now works in Max 2017. I will try Max 2016 later. So, I'll just have to get over it and leave it on the C: drive and clean it out now and then if things linger. 

Sorry for the continued insistence that I had an issue. I've just trusted this junction so much that I just couldn't believe that it might be the issue and it apparently was. 

Really nice work and I along with 1000's of others certainly applaud PolyHertz's effort. These little "niceties" help all of our jobs go faster and more smoothly. Thanks very much. 

Best, 

Rob

• Like 1

That's great news! Glad to hear everything's finally working for you :)

Also, if you're worried about the temp files taking up too much space, be sure to enable the 'Auto Clear Temp' option, which will remove all exhange files whenever the applink is closed (if you do though, be sure you're not using the temp directory to store any files you want to keep though).

Yes, I see that switch now and will use it. Again, sorry for the bother and this is a nice addition. I just completely trusted my junction and it apparently could not fool your code on my system.

FYI, I tested it on Max 2016 and I get an error during installation. I made sure to uninstall first and then closed Max and manually cleaned out any files with '*applink*' in the name. I opened Max 2016 and get this during install. Maybe I missed one or two files to delete?

Best regards...

applink.jpg

The part that looks to be failing there is extremely basic, there should be no way for it to fail...I just did a small update to the applink intaller, try downloading it and trying again.

If it still fails, I'm going to recommend you do a manual install (like detailed in the first post in the thread).

Ok, I got it working by doing the manual install in 2016. I'm good to go. 

Applink 1.8 does not work in Max2016 (Windows 10). I cannot install it using installer. I did a manual installation by coping applink files to the right folders. The Applink still does not work in Max2016.  When I save model from 3DC to Exchange folder to open it 3ds max 2016 Applink does nothing. It cannot see the new file which needs to be imported. Export from Max2016 to 3DC works fine but from 3DC to Max2016 does not work. What should I check to fix it?

1 hour ago, Vipera said:

Applink 1.8 does not work in Max2016 (Windows 10). I cannot install it using installer. I did a manual installation by coping applink files to the right folders. The Applink still does not work in Max2016.  When I save model from 3DC to Exchange folder to open it 3ds max 2016 Applink does nothing. It cannot see the new file which needs to be imported. Export from Max2016 to 3DC works fine but from 3DC to Max2016 does not work. What should I check to fix it?

I was able to install the latest one (1.9) which is updated on the main post. When you first run the script (Script menu > Run script...not drag and drop. That doesn't work for some reason), choose to UNINSTALL first, then run the INSTALL. This will give you a clean install, which is sometimes necessary. See if that doesn't help. It worked for me a few weeks ago.

I have downloaded and installed the last Applink version 1.9 for 3ds max but still no luck. Applink in max cannot see the files which I export from 3DC. Maybe Windows 10 prevents to save the files in that folder. Which files should I check? What is funny is that applink works fine on my home computer, also with Windows 10.

2 hours ago, Vipera said:

I have downloaded and installed the last Applink version 1.9 for 3ds max but still no luck. Applink in max cannot see the files which I export from 3DC. Maybe Windows 10 prevents to save the files in that folder. Which files should I check? What is funny is that applink works fine on my home computer, also with Windows 10.

This happens to me sometimes, if I export from 3D Coat to a subfolder in the MyDocs/3D Coat/Exchange directory. Make sure the TEMP directory in the Applink panel has the MyDocs/3D Coat 4.7/Exchange folder chosen

I have been able to fix this problem by changing  path in Applink from

..\Documents\3D-CoatV47\Exchange 

to 

..\Documents\AppLinks\3D-Coat\Exchange 

The problem was only with importing to 3ds Max.

Ah. Yea they changed the primary exchange directory path for newer versions of 3D-Coat. It was also mentioned in the v1.9 release notes:

"Now auto-detects "AppLinks" folder introduced in the most recent versions of 3D-Coat. Suggested for anyone running 3D-Coat v4.5.37 or newer."

I was trying to create a video showing how to create a custom material preset, but I never seem to have any luck. I followed the instructions to the letter, but with Redshift material preset chosen (after creating one per instructions) it creates a Multi-Sub object comprised of 2 Max Standard Materials. There is only one UV map on the model, so I have no idea why it created a Multi-Sub object in the first place, and why it had to ignore the preset.

I tried to uninstall > restart Max (2017) and re-install...and even choose a new scene with a different preset. Still the same. A Multi-Subobject material with 2 sub materials generated and both are STANDARD Max materials. Can we fix this, please?

Hey AbnRanger, is this multi-sub material issue happening with just redshift materials?

There were some major changes with how standard / multi-sub materials were determined between v1.8 and 1.9 (merged regular and material-only modes). So, if 1.9 is giving you problems try 1.8f and let me know if it's any better.

It was happening with others I tested as well...including the Arch& Design Mental Ray/iRay material presets. I uninstalled and re-installed. Same thing. I think it even happens on Max 2016, IIRC

I need to know a few things to narrow this down:

-Does it happen with 1.8f as well (here's a link in case don't have the file anymore), or just 1.9?
-Is the mesh being created in Max originally, and if so how many materials does 3D-Coat recognize on import into the paint room?

Any example files you could send could be useful too (both before and after import).

I have some guesses as to what might be happening, but I need more info before I can start tracking down the issue.

I'm new to 3D-Coat and am learning (I have the Hobbyist Version at the moment).

The Applink doesn't work for me - I try on a simple Teapot in 3DS Max 2017 (Commercial) and try importing into 3D-Coat from 3DS Max, but nothing gets exported.

I've tried the different folder options, but all that happens is 3D-Coat is launched etc, but empty.....

Does the geometry need to be collapsed or something ? 

Does import/export not work for Edu Versions of 3D-Coat ?

3 hours ago, JezUK said:

I'm new to 3D-Coat and am learning (I have the Hobbyist Version at the moment).

The Applink doesn't work for me - I try on a simple Teapot in 3DS Max 2017 (Commercial) and try importing into 3D-Coat from 3DS Max, but nothing gets exported.

I've tried the different folder options, but all that happens is 3D-Coat is launched etc, but empty.....

Does the geometry need to be collapsed or something ? 

Does import/export not work for Edu Versions of 3D-Coat ?

Try setting the TEMP directory in the Applink panel (withing 3ds Max) to "MyDocs/Applinks/3D Coat". Usually when you get nothing imported, it has something to do with the Applink looking in the wrong temp folder

blackant Master : If the regular installation method doesn't work for you, go to the first post in this thread and try doing the "Manual installation" method.